HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 7:26 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLA View Post
Sorry! Is it ok to post next time if I credit?
Yes, just make sure you credit the source and provide a link. The forum rules should always be right above the field where you post a reply to a thread, but here are the rules for posting photos, just in case:

Quote:
Images
When posting images in the forum which are not your own you are required to provide credit to the originating website of each image.

To properly credit an image please include, above or below the image, the name of the photographer or creator of the image, plus the URL to the webpage the image originates from.

Please note that simply posting the URL of the image as text (along with displaying the image) is not adequate. Additionally, posting just the domain name portion of a URL is not adequate either. The URL must link to a page within the originating website which actually displays the image.

When posting multiple images originating from the same source it is acceptable to give credit just once at the top of the list of images.

Internet memes don't need to be credited.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
Black sheep?

SF is picturesque with its cable cars and red bridge. But LA is an art capital with its gallery scene, its art schools, its architects, the intellectual and financial capital of the Getty, and all the internationally-recognized artists who live and make work here.

For all of its wealth, SF simply does not have the cultural assets that LA has been able to amass. Just look around. For every strip mall that you think shows how inferior LA is, there is a significant Gehry or Mayne building. Indeed, I will dare say there is more noteworthy architecture in LA than there is in SF.

Which is why I find it hard to believe that culturally literate people are saying the things you claim they are saying. I took an architecture class taught by Vin Scully (the professor, not the announcer for the Dodgers). He covered the Johnson and Neutra buildings in Garden Grove and numerous buildings in LA proper; he didn't even mention the Transamerica tower in SF. Indeed, in the late 80's, Yale held a conference on the LA School in Architecture, which featured Gehry and Mayne in person. Gehry had yet to design WD Hall and Bilbao, but the architectural community was already interested in what was happening in LA. In 2006, there was even an exhibition at the Pompidou Center in Paris titled LA 1955-1985: Birth of an Art Capital.

I won't go into what has happened since 2006. I think the rest should be obvious.
Thank you for saying this. And I will add, art in LA is everywhere, just look at all the murals.

I've seen plenty of posts on other forums/message boards where people seem to like to condescendingly dismiss LA, based on their "one or two visits," and then upon asking the people who make these various comments, I find out that their opinion on LA is based on the one night they spent at a hotel near LAX, or that they've visited family members who live in fucking Brea or La Habra. So as it turns out, they didn't really see LA at all.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 8:58 PM

^^^ I agree. The problem is, certain people on this forum tend to dwell on the comments and opinions from outsiders...Like visitors/tourists who spend 2-3 days here and complain about LA when THEY CHOOSE to do all of the touristy garbage.

Every city has its drawbacks and there are people who will always hate a city for whatever reason. Peoples biggest complaint about LA is its freeways and traffic... True, we hate it too, but we are working to fix that. But there are people who leave unimpressed with SF and SD, there are people who leave unimpressed with NYC and Chicago, there are people who leave unimpressed with London and Paris. That's just the way it is.

The problem is, people never get the full experience of any major international city in a handful of days, not even Vegas, but people expect to be able to do and see everything in 2-3 days which is impossible, especially for a city like LA. So when they come, they have high expectations but leave disappointed because of their own poor planning.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
But LA is an art capital with its gallery scene, its art schools, its architects, the intellectual and financial capital of the Getty, and all the internationally-recognized artists who live and make work here.

For all of its wealth, SF simply does not have the cultural assets that LA has been able to amass. Just look around. For every strip mall that you think shows how inferior LA is, there is a significant Gehry or Mayne building. Indeed, I will dare say there is more noteworthy architecture in LA than there is in SF.

Which is why I find it hard to believe that culturally literate people are saying the things you claim they are saying.

I totally agree. you certainly don't have to sell me on LA.

I don't know whether the ppl mentioned in articles I gave links to, & that you say I believe they're saying, are culturally literate or not, but their comments are ones I've seen online, a few of them very recently. They're not opinions I've heard through second hand sources. It's not just hearsay. I don't agree with those comments, but they're out there.

Ppl form opinions for various reasons, but I think the main reason for most ppl's subdued or negative response towards LA is due to it taking so long to get our major hoods, esp dtla & hollywood, into good shape.

that's why the changes shown & discussed in this thread....or the LA metro compilations page....are so important & deserving of much relief....& appreciation. It's also why I roll my eyes when someone feels unhappy about new devlpt that doesn't totally suit their personal tastes or idea of great urbanism.

I think if even the most disappointing new devlpt now underway or already completed had been in the pipeline well before these pics were taken, LA wouldn't have taken so many hits thru the yrs in public opinion....

usclibraries.tumblr.com

losangelespast.blogspot.com

waterandpower.org

^ when I see scenes like that....then think of all the ppl who've been unhappy about LA but for reasons that date back well before even the worse of GH palmer or the worse of TCA came into existence....I realize I have to treat news, photos & updates about new projs in dtla somewhat differently based on....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Cranes are going up at Oceanwide Plaza.
A good slug of photos at the link below, in particular are these views of the rebar progress. Will be interesting to see if the rains impact the upcoming weekend's concrete pour.

http://www.laocdb.com/la-development...talling-cranes

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 2:03 AM

as 5 minutes ago

[IMG][/IMG]

videos will be uploaded in a bit in 4K subscibe and check out more videos of other cities too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgL...vBOkv-ckemQGZw

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by cesar90; Mar 8, 2016 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:22 AM

Yup. Tomorrow the last beam for the concrete core will be placed. Note it's still not topped out. The parapet and the spire has yet to come

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:56 AM

Cross Campus co-working space to take up 33,000 square feet at 800 Wilshire, opens next month and will have a bar/lounge on the ground floor http://brighamyen.com/2016/03/07/cro...e-downtown-la/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 9:03 AM

Whatever happened to that Panera bread that was supposed to go up at 7th and Fig?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:21 PM

Anyone know what the ground floor and upper floors at City National? There's some work going on.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Whatever happened to that Panera bread that was supposed to go up at 7th and Fig?
Brighams latest article says Late 2015 opening:
http://brighamyen.com/2015/08/04/pan...cial-district/

I dont believe work has even started... If this was Broadway I would suspect they're pulling out as part of the 2016 Broadway Exodus - but this is a no-brainer for Panera. I'm positive it'll be their highest grossing location in LA.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Brighams latest article says Late 2015 opening:
http://brighamyen.com/2015/08/04/pan...cial-district/

I dont believe work has even started... If this was Broadway I would suspect they're pulling out as part of the 2016 Broadway Exodus - but this is a no-brainer for Panera. I'm positive it'll be their highest grossing location in LA.
What Broadway exodus? It seems you live in an alternate reality. In fact several new higher end shops are opening. And BTW, I know the regional manager of UO and they are beating projections and claim they are in it for the long haul. So I guess we'll see yet again if any of your gloom-trodden, no-evidence-backed, predictions pan out. Prolly not. And even if there is some turn over on Broadway, unless all the stores just suddenly shut down, that would be considered a normal phenomena on any shopping street or mall. Even busy retail like 3rd St Promenade, the Grove etc have turnover. I mean come on? Your picture messages are great, the commentary not so much…. It seems like often times you are answering some question, while slipping in some outrageous statement at the same time.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomJames View Post
What Broadway exodus? It seems you live in an alternate reality. In fact several new higher end shops are opening. And BTW, I know the regional manager of UO and they are beating projections and claim they are in it for the long haul. So I guess we'll see yet again if any of your gloom-trodden, no-evidence-backed, predictions pan out. Prolly not. And even if there is some turn over on Broadway, unless all the stores just suddenly shut down, that would be considered a normal phenomena on any shopping street or mall. Even busy retail like 3rd St Promenade, the Grove etc have turnover. I mean come on? Your picture messages are great, the commentary not so much…. It seems like often times you are answering some question, while slipping in some outrageous statement at the same time.
I understand its hard to hear negativity about the block you live on, I experienced the same thing when living at 7th+Spring (though admittedly I'd never let my hope for a better environment cloud my reality / cause me to lash out at people calling 7th+Spring for what it was).

Are you 100% about your Urban Outfitters information? Thats completely opposite of what I'm hearing from management sources...

The exodus I'm referring to has been discussed on this thread, ACNE being the largest to possibly be leaving.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 1:59 AM

Even IF there is a Broadway exodus going on the amount of positive change in the last few years is still massive. Plus that change hasn't even reached full force with the construction and groundbreaking of many new towers.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Even IF there is a Broadway exodus going on the amount of positive change in the last few years is still massive. Plus that change hasn't even reached full force with the construction and groundbreaking of many new towers.
I agree. Broadway is finding its groove, I think there will be a lot of turnover these next few years while retailers determine where they want to be, etc.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:00 AM
life is good

Olympic & Olive earlier today

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:56 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
I agree. Broadway is finding its groove, I think there will be a lot of turnover these next few years while retailers determine where they want to be, etc.
And imagine Broadway after the Broadway Trade Center and Palmer's Classy Buildings finish up. That's really what's going to bring critical mass down to the southern end of the street.

Also, ThomJames, you're treading dangerously close to a personal attack with your comment. Just sayin.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:22 AM

Speaking of work on Broadway, scaffolding is going up at 601 S Broadway. Image curtosy of Kirk Gaw on FB Development page.

Looking at it I had thought it was there prior but it's new. Any thoughts or ideas as to what it's there for? Hopefully the conversion is back in action.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomJames View Post
And BTW, I know the regional manager of UO and they are beating projections and claim they are in it for the long haul.
Quote:
Are you 100% about your Urban Outfitters information? Thats completely opposite of what I'm hearing from management sources...
at least you two forumers are trying to be very specific about aspects of new devlpt in....or recent changes to....dt instead of posting, by comparison, very generalized chatter or pure opinion. Specificity helps give some of us a better sense of what's going on in dtla, so I always appreciate posts that mention what's happening behind the scenes.

here's a prime example of the type of info I'm talking about.....

Quote:
Walk or drive through the Financial District and it’s hard to miss the Eighth & Grand residential complex. There’s the immensely popular Whole Foods market on the ground floor. There’s the ongoing work to finish portions of the project. Then there’s the sheer scale: It is the largest single housing project ever to open in Downtown Los Angeles.

The development from San Francisco-based Carmel Partners has a whopping 700 apartments. Move-ins at the project bounded by Eighth Street, Grand Avenue and Olive Street started at the end of October. The building is being managed by the firm Greystar.

Dan Garibaldi, Carmel’s managing partner for development and construction, said the response to the project has been positive. Even thought rents average $2,800, Eighth & Grand is nearly half filled, Garibaldi said. He expects full occupancy within a year.

Eighth & Grand features studios to three-bedroom units, with 500 of them being one-bedroom apartments that range from 757-901 square feet. Currently, rents start at $2,210 for a studio that begins at 516 square feet. Three-bedroom units start at $4,305.

Chalae Walker, the property manager of the building for Greystar, thinks additional competition from new buildings will help. She said Greystar is constantly shopping the competition with weekly market surveys to make sure its units are priced appropriately.

Currently Eighth & Grand management is aiming for 10 leases per week. So far it is meeting the goal, Walker said.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:

The exodus I'm referring to has been discussed on this thread, ACNE being the largest to possibly be leaving.
An exodus is a mass departure. Where do you see that at 9th and Broadway? So far the only recent retail that has closed is Angelo Home, which in my opinion was horribly merchandised, styled and lit. That place was only marginally better than a vacant store front. It was nowhere near what will replace it, and what surrounds it (ACNE, APC, Aesop, Tanner, Bunker, Oak, even UO) as far as design, style and quality of merchandise. So it was the neighborhood misfit.

I don't really think any of us can predict corporations. One day they say one thing, sometimes leadership or strategy changes, and suddenly they are saying/ doing something else. But so far Broadway seems to be on the right path, and it seems that the interest level is reasonably high. So I wish some of the people on here would just give things a chance. There will be some turnover. But I don't think that it is troubling unless there is mass turnover/ closures. Most stores/ even chains that are just doing in-the-toilet badly, will close within even a few months of opening.

No, I'm not 100% about UO, are you? If so, where is the store closing sign? The UO district manager for SoCal I know told me that they were getting daily walk-throughs of customers in the 600-1,000 range. Obviously nowhere near SM or some other majorly trafficked area, but doesn't seem to be too bad to me. Rents are obviously significantly cheaper here as well. Also, I think the fact Mykita Eyewear announcing so quickly that they will be taking over the Angelo Home space, seems to indicate that there is pretty strong demand on southern Broadway. (From my perusal of their worldwide stores, they are all fashionable and look great!) That space is definitely not just lingering around. Oak, if any I thought would close, due to all the ongoing problems at American Apparel. They had announced as much several months ago. Either the store is doing better than expected, or they have changed their strategy and decided to keep them open? But if that store was doing horribly, I think it would be gone by now. Amercan Apparel has already closed quite a few stores.

I think most of the stores, provided their sales are not abysmal, will at least stick around for a couple of years and give things a chance. At the end of they day, most of these companies have multiple stores, and have reasonably deep pockets to ride things out. The mix of stores really reminds me of SoHo back in it's better days. Hopefully things will continue to mushroom and the area will become a true destination.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations