HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 6:34 PM

Your 2024 development Wish List

It's a little late but what proposals or pre-sales builds would you like to see some movement on this year? I know some of these may delay longer or never even get built as seen in these renders.

Here are 5 of my favourites that I would love to see move closer to fruition this year, in no order.

image sources: urbantoronto.ca
1. 145 Wellington

2. 55 Yonge Street

3. 208 Bloor St W

4. 307 Lake Shore Boulevard East

5. 30 Scollard

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 6:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

For Moncton:

Infinity Tower

St. Bernard Place

Atlantic Science Enterprise Centre

There is a reasonable expectation all three projects will get started this year.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:12 PM

Two that I know will start/continue after a pause; Dream LeBreton near the new Central Library. At 31 and 36 floors, these will have a big impact and help weave LeBreton with the rest of Downtown.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=238059

And a new tallest Downtown, the Marriott Renaissance and apartments, at 38 floors.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=255063

One project likely to start this year, 265 Catherine where the old Greyhound bus terminal used to be. These three towers at 24, 36 and 40 floors, will be the tallest in Centretown (well, the tallest two).

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...189396&page=11

Falling in the realm of improbable, The Sky on Carling at Dow's Lake Station. 18, 45 and 55 floors.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...arling&page=12

There's also 900 Albert, at 65, 56 and 23 at Bayview Station, but I have zero faith in that project, so not on my wish list.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This large lot at the top of my street was cleared and prepped for construction many years ago, but the project fell through.

I don't care if they actually build what was proposed, but it would be nice to have something there. I hate empty spaces, surface parking lots, etc. Luckily it's not in my field of view, and there is a cross street before it so I don't have to pass it daily, etc.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:29 PM

Virtually impossible to do such a list for Montreal since the projects are usually only made public once they are approved and just about to start construction.

There is a new 200 m. tower seeking approval for the lot between le 1000 and Place Bonaventure. It's already been submitted to the city and pre-approved by the CCU, but no render made public yet. Just an exemple.

In Toronto, the same project would have had renders available for publication in every step of the way, multiple times.

It's a project that could make a "wish" list, but what's the point without a render ? On the other hand, it's almost certain construction will start this year.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:44 PM
I am the law!

There's nothing around here which is quite the contrast to Toronto which has so much It's all a blur.

I don't know if 2024 is realistic. Stelco Lands in Hamilton.

More skyscrapers breaking ground in Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:59 PM
DesignerGuy

Looking forward to seeing the new crop of Ottawa towers go up. I live on a high floor condo with a view of our entire downtown from West to East so i will literally watch these towers rise. Super excited!!!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
There's nothing around here which is quite the contrast to Toronto which has so much It's all a blur.

I don't know if 2024 is realistic. Stelco Lands in Hamilton.

More skyscrapers breaking ground in Toronto.
Cryptic post. Don't know what to make of it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 5:10 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I want to see some movement on the East Harbour transit hub and GO electrification. And hopefully the waterfront east streetcar. Yes I know this is supposed to be more real estate related than transit but I feel like given the scope of recent development, the greatest need is for infrastructure to keep pace. I'm satisfied with how quickly downtown real estate development has been happening and I just want to see a higher volume of smaller low and midrise projects throughout the city and metro. Yes I know there are a lot, but given the size of the city and metro area there could be a lot more.

More locally, I want to see movement on the Mumford terminal redevelopment which is both a transit and real estate development. A major bus transfer hub beside a large shopping mall is set to be redeveloped into residential towers with the transit terminal upgraded and moved underground.

East Harbour transit hub

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/01...-toronto.24658

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 6:03 PM
I am the law!

Re: East Transit Hub

That is definitely not what is under construction. It's so bad to those early renderings that you just have to laugh.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 6:07 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I think you summed up why East Harbour is the one project I look forward to the most really starting. It's going to be a game changer for that area of the city, which has grown a lot in the last 15 years with the revitalization of the Distillery District and the Pan Am neighbourhood next to it. That being said, I'm half expecting this area to look like another CityPlace and with no office space because it's less realistic in this economy and possibly for the future. (I'm just a little cynical about it)

This is within the 5 to 15 year time frame, but I'm looking forward to seeing the Union Station streetcar loop expanded on, and (in what, two decades at this rate?) the Queens Quay streetcar going out to the east end of the waterfront. These are two other projects I really want to see shovels in the ground for sooner rather than later, but I know that's not realistic given the financial trouble the city is in.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 6:15 PM
I am the law!

Riverdale is a pretty awesome neighbourhood. What does East Harbour add but, mediocre towers in an overly dense plan with a disappointing transit hub that could be a Go transit station in Mississauga or Ajax.

https://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...nsit-hub.54466

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 6:21 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I find myself more interested in the Ontario Line's connectivity in this case, although I agree that the station design isn't ideal. I just reminded myself that that's the rendering for this station.....yeah that's bad. Well, the most visible part of the structure looksa lot like the Frank Gehry AGO addition.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 6:47 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Riverdale is a pretty awesome neighbourhood. What does East Harbour add but, mediocre towers in an overly dense plan with a disappointing transit hub that could be a Go transit station in Mississauga or Ajax.

https://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...nsit-hub.54466
I don't see anything awesome about the existing East Harbour site other than its redevelopment potential but I agree that the surrounding residential areas (at least those north of Eastern Ave.) look fairly pleasant and quaint. Not sure about "awesome" since the residential streets in the immediate vicinity seem fairly typical of the old city but that's just me. But more importantly, I don't judge the merits of new development strictly by what it adds to an existing neighbourhood. For me, new development (at least large at large scales) is as much about those who will be using the development and for the wider city and metro area. Perhaps 1/3 each. I don't see it's role primarily as a handmaiden to the local surroundings.

So for me, the question is as much "what do the local surroundings do for the new development" as it is the reverse. In that case, being near a pleasant nabe can offer a nice setting for the new residents to explore and enjoy, particularly for those who don't want to be immersed in the heart of downtown but still want to be close, while the existing nabe would gain access to services and transit connections they currently lack. Having new inner city nodes that allow more people to have more choices near the city centre adds value to the city and metro area as a whole. I like seeing busy, dense areas juxtaposed with quiet, leafy areas and having a variety of things to explore in and around the centre city. The highrises are also likelier to have cool views compared to many of those right downtown since they won't be blocked by so many other buildings and some will face the main skyline rather than be in it.

But yes I also hope that it turns out well. I really want something grand and wish it wasn't paired down so much.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 7:00 PM
I am the law!

I'm okay with functional stations designs too if it means better transit. It's just we saw what could be (posted above) to what Toronto is actually getting. This station sets up the designs for the rest of the development well, any residential as it could be a long time for an office tower to be built here.

It's an unfortunate circumstance the the office market fell of the precipice after Cadillac Fairview bought this and they will respond to recoup as much as possible. My expectations are people warehouse over The Well or Mirvish Village that try to create a community heart albeit through interesting commercial development

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 7:25 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I don't see anything awesome about the existing East Harbour site other than its redevelopment potential but I agree that the surrounding residential areas (at least those north of Eastern Ave.) look fairly pleasant and quaint. Not sure about "awesome" since the residential streets in the immediate vicinity seem fairly typical of the old city but that's just me. But more importantly, I don't judge the merits of new development strictly by what it adds to an existing neighbourhood. For me, new development (at least large at large scales) is as much about those who will be using the development and for the wider city and metro area. Perhaps 1/3 each. I don't see it's role primarily as a handmaiden to the local surroundings.

So for me, the question is as much "what do the local surroundings do for the new development" as it is the reverse. In that case, being near a pleasant nabe can offer a nice setting for the new residents to explore and enjoy, particularly for those who don't want to be immersed in the heart of downtown but still want to be close, while the existing nabe would gain access to services and transit connections they currently lack. Having new inner city nodes that allow more people to have more choices near the city centre adds value to the city and metro area as a whole. I like seeing busy, dense areas juxtaposed with quiet, leafy areas and having a variety of things to explore in and around the centre city. The highrises are also likelier to have cool views compared to many of those right downtown since they won't be blocked by so many other buildings and some will face the main skyline rather than be in it.

But yes I also hope that it turns out well. I really want something grand and wish it wasn't paired down so much.
You don't see awesomeness looking at the built form from street view. South Riverdale doesn't need East Harbour at all. The point is East Harbour should be a self reliant development. That's the biggest problems with so many these large scaled transit oriented communities in low rise neighbourhoods. Developers take advantage of the surrounding offerings and provide the bare minimum. These desirable communities become the hand maidens for the new developments and are not designed for an influx of 5 to 15000 new people. I repeat this one serious example of many examples again. Schools are overcapacity in my neighbourhood and the neighbourhoods surrounding it. The school board erects white board at every single major development to inform buyers that the school are full. To summarize, Your children will be bussed to far off places.

I don't understand looking at East Harbour from a city wide level. The only thing of relevance to me at that level is housing growth and transit ridership quotas. Prioritizing housing growth is the province's strategy as well as getting every Torontonian on transit as much as possible and, in my humbliest opinion, It's killing New York run by the Swiss. East Harbour should prioritize how it impacts South Riverdale and consider solutions to minimize those effects even if it mean less buildable densities

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 8:03 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
You don't see awesomeness looking at the built form from street view. South Riverdale doesn't need East Harbour at all. The point is East Harbour should be a self reliant development. That's the biggest problems with so many these large scaled transit oriented communities in low rise neighbourhoods. Developers take advantage of the surrounding offerings and provide the bare minimum. These desirable communities become the hand maidens for the new developments and are not designed for an influx of 5 to 15000 new people. I repeat this one serious example of many examples again. Schools are overcapacity in my neighbourhood and the neighbourhoods surrounding it. The school board erects white board at every single major development to inform buyers that the school are full. To summarize, Your children will be bussed to far off places.

I don't understand looking at East Harbour from a city wide level. The only thing of relevance to me at that level is housing growth and transit ridership quotas. Prioritizing housing growth is the province's strategy as well as getting every Torontonian on transit as much as possible and, in my humbliest opinion, It's killing New York run by the Swiss. East Harbour should prioritize how it impacts South Riverdale and consider solutions to minimize those effects even if it mean less buildable densities
Well it's very rare for an existing, established neighbourhood to "need" any substantial new development. But a forest or farm field doesn't "need" a greenfield subdivision either since a forest was perfectly happy providing habitat for its plants and animals for thousands of years and a farm has its own productive function. So I honestly don't consider that relevant. If there was something substantial the existing area needed, it would either have already been provided by now, or the area would be in serious decline which would make it undesirable for new development to begin with. But I disagree that there's nothing of value the new development could potentially add. At the city/metro level, yes the total amount of housing is a consideration. But for me, having a variety of housing locations, different types of housing available in different areas, and a higher proportion of people in the metro area within convenient reach of transit are also important. I don't see people having an option of using higher order transit as relating to a term like "quotas". I just consider that a dual quality of life issue and urban functionality issue. To me, quota implies numbers on a spreadsheet rather than people actually getting increased options. Maybe I'm too optimistic, you're too pessimistic, or both.

I do agree there are valid concerns of course. But a lot of it is down to outside factors like past or regional decisions (often mistakes). These tend to be beyond the scope of local planning that can't be solved solely by pairing down local development proposals. Like, with not planning sufficient school capacity in central areas to support population growth. Any significant growth in a metro area will require significant new infrastructure of various types. There may be a few schools in other areas that are currently under capacity, but that's not going to last very long with sustained growth, and those areas aren't necessarily going to have excesses of other types of capacity such as transportation, water/sanitation, etc. So if you say a central area like this can't accommodate the new residents, where do they go? No decision to exclude people from one area can be made without simultaneously providing a better alternative. And most options are going to involve building some type of new infrastructure. So I generally just advocate for adding new infrastructure along with the development. But that's just my preference as an inscrutable optimist of course.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 8:46 PM
I am the law!

Toronto is a work in progress as well as an established urban area. You couldn't have predicted the inappropriate residential densities being proposed and the sustained bubble leading to families with children being priced out and staying in units targeted to singles and couples. The school closures in the 1990s made appropriate sense. Cityplace went through a prolonged process to set aside space for a school, library, non market housing, open space including enough for some sports infrastructure. The densities are within the standards of cities Torontonians admire. Many of these developments are the size of a small town. You plan for all the needs of a small town. You don't blame past community planning that never accounted for a small town's population squeezed into a 15 acre brownfield site. Go ahead with a 20 FSI office tower. Back to back to back 20 FSI residential towers requiring no bonusing or transference of off site densities is well beyond optimal. It's people warehousing. I appreciate your stance in accepting all the people arriving in Toronto but, It's not one I will get behind. This industry is out of control. It benefits fewer and fewer already living here. It needs to flat out lie to attract the quotas of people here from stable country. We are more and more supplementing it with foreign students which are just a drain .Everybody is doing whatever they can to sustain it as the economy is extreme reliant on it. It's house of cards that will eventually implode. We simple can't afford to keep subsidizing it.

So yeah, I'm all for reducing these developments to more appropriate scales and fuck it if it isn't enough housing. This housing crisis is an open tap. All you have to do is close it and not even all the way or permanently.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 12:54 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Well I appreciate your candor since everyone would be that forthright. Your reasoning does make sense given your axioms. Honestly, I'm not all that different in the sense that I wouldn't be willing to give up certain things for the sake of housing at all cost either. If the only option was razing vast swathes of forest, wetlands, etc. for sprawl, I'd say fuck it too. Turn off the taps unless you find another solution. Fortunately the direction it's taking isn't quite as offensive to me as it is to some. I mostly don't mind the physical form changes so it's most the affordability part that's foul. I just happen to still be clinging to the hope that things can work out once all the growing pains and disruptions pass (if we really get serious). So unless something changes in terms of national growth rates, there's still reason for me to want to try. Optimism can be a powerful drug!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada