HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 8:28 PM

I believe there is a max hght limit. However it only applies to bldgs from 4th st. and east. West of 4th st. the bldgs can be any hght. There is some debate whether a bldg should be higher than the arch.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 11:19 PM
Proud Homer!

Renovation has begun on St. Louis' landmark Union Station, now a hotel, meeting, entertainment and retail center.

The renovation will cost about $50-million. Renovations should be completed, excluding enhancements to retail, some time next spring.

St. Louis-based Lodging Hospitality Management is:

-Refurbishing the Grand Hall.
-Planning a “digital mapping” project that will project the history of Union Station on the wall in the Grand Hall.
-Updating all 539 guest rooms in the DoubleTree hotel, plus the exhibition and grand halls.
-Renovating about 50,000 square feet of meeting space, doubling the size of the hotel's current meeting facilities.
-Planning excursion trains that will go from Union Station to Missouri's wine country, Kansas City and Chicago.
-Adding work space.
-Refining the current retail and food court spaces.

A rendering of the grand hall.

A rendering of the museum entrance.

A rendering of the renovated exhibit hall.

A rendering of future office space.

Below is work being done on St. Louis Union Station.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 12:10 AM
Show me the blueprints

And maybe one of these days we'll get an actual train station back...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 6:57 PM
Proud Homer!

Last decade saw a lot of medical facilities and campuses expand in St. Louis and now that the economy is improving the expansion continues. Health care and medicine is one of St. Louis' largest job sectors.

As seen in the 2nd photo, Missouri Baptist Medical Center's West Pavilion $140 million is slated for completion by July 2013.

Below, Foreground: Missouri Baptist Medical Center. Background:, St. John's Mercy Medical Center.

Both medical centers sit off I-64, which is dubbed St. Louis' healthcare highway' because of the number of medical campuses and institutions near the freeway in both Missouri and Illinois.

The 60-acre Missouri Baptist medical center campus consists of 750,000 square feet of hospital buildings. The medical center served 23,066 inpatients and 38,791 emergency patients in 2010.

Construction of the West Pavilion follows construction of an East Pavilion completed in 2006. Shortly afterwards, Missouri Baptist reorganized offices and tore down of the old south building to clear space for the new pavilion.

Work has just been completed on the Clinical Learning Institute, which will house a satellite location of the Goldfarb School of Nursing, an expansion of the program at Barnes Jewish Hospital. The Clinical Learning Institute cost $12.5 million to construct.

The patient tower is part of a major building project that also will see construction of a new Clinical Learning Institute, new entry way, parking lot and nature trails for the campus at 3015 N. Ballas Road.

The West Pavilion will add 216,000 square feet to the medical center and will house the medical center's new main entrance lobby; four floors of private patient rooms for surgical patients; four new operating rooms; and a new outpatient surgery center that will connect to the hospital's current operating room suites.

Last edited by Arch City; Jun 6, 2013 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City View Post
I don't know if there is a height limit. I believe that is a myth. Last decade, there were a few proposals for structures that would have been taller than the Gateway Arch. Unfortunately, those proposals never took off for a variety of reasons.
Interesting, I was under the impression that St. Louis had a height limit, forbidding buildings from being taller than the arch. A couple 600-800 footers would sure make the city's skyline pop. I think they'd look great with the arch in front of them... the city would have perfect postcard shots!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 4:13 AM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Interesting, I was under the impression that St. Louis had a height limit, forbidding buildings from being taller than the arch. A couple 600-800 footers would sure make the city's skyline pop. I think they'd look great with the arch in front of them... the city would have perfect postcard shots!
vodnik's explanation seems plausible, but I honestly don't know of a height limit.

The downtown's centerpiece (or focal structure) is the Gateway Arch. I really don't think an 800 foot building would make downtown St. Louis any more post-card perfect than it already is.

I like height, but in relation to downtown St. Louis super-tall structures are not the problem - balance is - especially from the perspective atop the Arch. From certain perspectives or vantage points, as the case with a lot of skylines, the impressiveness can be a hit or miss. From certain vantage points, I think the St. Louis skyline definitely could use more balance and from those vantage points perhaps a few nice infills of about 450-600 could do the trick.

Here's a vantage point with a fuller skyline.

photo credit, The Elevator Channel/flickr.com

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 2:07 PM
Proud Homer!

Jun 6, 2013, 6:26am CDT UPDATED: Jun 6, 2013, 7:29am CDT
Historic train to pull into Union Station

Matthew Hibbard
Social Engagement Manager -
St. Louis Business Journal

An historic railcar from Chicago is expected to pull into Union Station today, signaling just one piece of the redevelopment plan in store for the builidng.

Mayor Francis Slay and County Executive Charlie Dooley are expected to attend the "test drive" ceremony during a news conference today. Bob O’Loughlin, chairman and CEO of Lodging Hospitality Management will also talk more about the train excursions and plans for the overall revitalization of the facility.

LHM bought Union Station and the hotel from Union Station Holdings LLC for $20 million in October and plans to spend $25 million in renovations.

The makeover includes updating all 539 guest rooms in St. Louis Union Station Doubletree, as well as the exhibition and grand halls, and readying the train shed to handle future excursions.

O’Loughlin told the Business Journal in April that he envisions train excursions to Missouri wine country, Kansas City and Chicago.

Source

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
vodnik's explanation seems plausible, but I honestly don't know of a height limit.

The downtown's centerpiece (or focal structure) is the Gateway Arch. I really don't think an 800 foot building would make downtown St. Louis any more post-card perfect than it already is.

I like height, but in relation to downtown St. Louis super-tall structures are not the problem - balance is - especially from the perspective atop the Arch. From certain perspectives or vantage points, as the case with a lot of skylines, the impressiveness can be a hit or miss. From certain vantage points, I think the St. Louis skyline definitely could use more balance and from those vantage points perhaps a few nice infills of about 450-600 could do the trick.
Well just for fun anyway, I made a little collage of what could be:

Original image credit: g3sackett

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Jun 6, 2013, 6:26am CDT UPDATED: Jun 6, 2013, 7:29am CDT
Historic train to pull into Union Station

Matthew Hibbard

An historic railcar from Chicago is expected to pull into Union Station today, signaling just one piece of the redevelopment plan in store for the builidng.

Mayor Francis Slay and County Executive Charlie Dooley are expected to attend the "test drive" ceremony during a news conference today. Bob O’Loughlin, chairman and CEO of Lodging Hospitality Management will also talk more about the train excursions and plans for the overall revitalization of the facility.

LHM bought Union Station and the hotel from Union Station Holdings LLC for $20 million in October and plans to spend $25 million in renovations.

The makeover includes updating all 539 guest rooms in St. Louis Union Station Doubletree, as well as the exhibition and grand halls, and readying the train shed to handle future excursions.

O’Loughlin told the Business Journal in April that he envisions train excursions to Missouri wine country, Kansas City and Chicago.

Source
While I appreciate the grammatically appropriate use of 'an', I would have liked to know which rail car is pulling in, why it's historic, how long it will be here, what the 'test drive' ceremony is and why it's being held today, and just overall anything specific about what's going on today.

I know it's a free article from a subscription site, but that was somewhat lacking.

-RBB

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 10:14 PM
Proud Homer!

The St. Louis Cardinals Ballpark Village is under construction.

The first phase of Ballpark Village includes the Anheuser-Busch Brewhouse, a 20,000-square foot restaurant and beer garden; Cardinals Nation, a 30,000-square foot space consisting of a Cardinals themed restaurant, Cardinals Hall of Fame museum and rooftop seating overlooking the baseball diamond; and PBR St. Louis: A Cowboy Bar, a Professional Bull Riders Inc. franchise.

Other tenants are to be announced.

Groundbreaking for the $100 million Phase 1 of the project was held Feb. 8, and financing for that phase has been secured. 80 percent of the 100,000 square feet of retail space in phase 1 of the development is preleased.

photo credit: Zgare

Last edited by Arch City; Jun 7, 2013 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 10:40 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Well just for fun anyway, I made a little collage of what could be:
Cool rendering/vision.

I have shared it with the nextstl.com forum. Follow the thread here.

I think the skyline could use more avant-garde tall (400-600 foot) structures, but I just don't think the skyline is bad without super-tall buildings.

photo credit: msabeln

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 11:33 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
While I appreciate the grammatically appropriate use of 'an', I would have liked to know which rail car is pulling in, why it's historic, how long it will be here, what the 'test drive' ceremony is and why it's being held today, and just overall anything specific about what's going on today.

I know it's a free article from a subscription site, but that was somewhat lacking.

-RBB
All you need is a little patience.

Read the article and see the video. Click the link.

Jun 6, 2013, 5:45pm CDT
Take a look: Train returns to Union Station (Video)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 9:49 PM
Proud Homer!

Jun 3, 2013, 2:58pm CDT UPDATED: Jun 3, 2013, 4:49pm CDT
Developer to receive $4 million TIF to redevelop Chemical Building

The Board of Aldermen is expected to pass Board Bill No. 57 this Friday, which will provide $4 million in Tax Increment Financing to redevelop the Chemical Building downtown.

Alderwoman Phyllis Young, who is sponsoring the bill, said LandWhite Developers LLC plans to spend $33 million to turn the 167,000-square-foot Chemical Building into 7,000 square feet of street-level retail and 120 apartments.

The building’s only current tenant is Kessler Mroz Jewelry Inc., located on the ground floor.

Young said Lancaster Ventures Ltd., an affiliate of LandWhite Developers, expects to pay off the TIF in 17 years or by 2030.

LandWhite Developers closed on the purchase of the 17-story Chemical Building in September 2012. The asking price for the building, which was marketed by Cushman & Wakefield/Gateway Commercial, was $3.9 million.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:06 PM
Proud Homer!

As progress continues on Washington University's new Olin School of Business, renderings were recently released for the $60-million expansion of The George Warren Brown School of Social Work.

See more renderings here.

Brown School Historic Expansion Begins June 10

In 1934, Washington University in St. Louis constructed Brown Hall on its campus — the world’s first “bricks-and-mortar” building of a school of social work.

Nearly 80 years later, the Brown School, an international leader in educating students in social work and public health, will take the next, necessary steps to ensure it remains a catalyst for change long into the 21st century when site prep work begins on a two-year, $60 million-expansion of its facilities.

At the centerpiece of the “transformational” Brown School expansion is an innovative new building — east of Brown and Goldfarb halls of approximately 105,000 square feet — for which site excavation will begin the week of June 10th.

“The building will have a tremendous impact on the Brown School’s teaching and research, and in turn will help its faculty, students and staff provide new innovations that will enhance the unique culture of this community,” says Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton. “The Brown School has a strong reputation for its work in communities close to home and worldwide, and this expansion will ensure that work continues.”

“The new facility is going to be an important symbol of our forward momentum and leadership in the fields of social work and public health over the next era,” says Edward F. Lawlor, PhD, dean of the Brown School and the William E. Gordon Distinguished Professor.

“It’s going to be transformational for the Brown School,” Lawlor says. “This building will help us connect communities by bringing our community together in one place, and will provide us with the classrooms, research space, event and gathering space and student spaces to be the best in our field.”

Read More

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:

I think the skyline could use more avant-garde tall (400-600 foot) structures, but I just don't think the skyline is bad without super-tall buildings.
Completely agree. Your city is framed by one the most sublime structures on Planet Earth. Why diminish it?

Nice design collage, though

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:28 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Jun 3, 2013, 2:58pm CDT UPDATED: Jun 3, 2013, 4:49pm CDT
Developer to receive $4 million TIF to redevelop Chemical Building

The Board of Aldermen is expected to pass Board Bill No. 57 this Friday, which will provide $4 million in Tax Increment Financing to redevelop the Chemical Building downtown.

Alderwoman Phyllis Young, who is sponsoring the bill, said LandWhite Developers LLC plans to spend $33 million to turn the 167,000-square-foot Chemical Building into 7,000 square feet of street-level retail and 120 apartments.
This is such great news for such a beautiful building. Truth be told, I didn't even know the place existed until now. lol

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:19 PM
Proud Homer!

After years of stops and starts including the recession, this project is finally a go! This building is catacorner to the recently announced Chemical Building project (see above).

Jun 11, 2013, 5:55pm CDT UPDATED: Jun 12, 2013, 7:36am CDT
Exclusive: Dominium agrees to purchase Arcade Building for $9 million
Matthew Hibbard

Dominium Development and Acquisition of Minneapolis has agreed to purchase the Arcade Wright Building from the St. Louis’ Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority (LCRA) for $9 million.

The developer plans to spend $103 million to redevelop the 18-story, 538,000-square-foot building, located at Eighth and Olive downtown.

Dominium will covert the building into 254 apartments, with two-thirds being affordable units and the rest being market-value units. Plans also call for 61,000 square feet of commercial space on the first three levels. There will be 130 underground parking stalls and 225 off-site parking slots.

Construction is expected to begin in December.

Environmental clean up of the building will begin next week by Environmental Operations.

The pricetag for that is just under $3 million.

Photo Source: PRESERVATION RESEARCH OFFICE

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:27 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
This is such great news for such a beautiful building. Truth be told, I didn't even know the place existed until now. lol
More views - from the Arcade-Wright Building - for you.

Source: Thomas Hawk

Source: Thomas Hawk

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 7:42 PM
Proud Homer!

New fine-tuned renderings for the $100-million first phase of Ballpark Village plus progress photos. Phase I is to have a center plaza retractable roof over the commercial building and fan seating, which will overlook into the stadium.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 7:28 PM
Proud Homer!

Jun 18, 2013, 12:07pm CDT
Panel suggests tentative location for CORTEX MetroLink station

The best location for a new MetroLink station planned at the CORTEX biotech and medical research district in Midtown is between Boyle Avenue and Sarah Street, according to an Urban Land Institute St. Louis technical assistance panel, which is preparing a report for the private nonprofit Citizens for Modern Transit.

The report will make a recommendation as to where a new MetroLink station should be located, what kind of parking amenities the CORTEX district will need to support a new station and what kind of incentives are available to finance planning and construction.

CORTEX is in the middle of a $186 million second phase of development, which includes the construction of a $45 million office building for BJC Healthcare and other major infrastructure improvements. A new MetroLink station would create a direct link to MetroLink stations at BJC and Washington University medical campuses to the west and Saint Louis University to the east.

The Urban Land Institutes’s Laura Radcliff, who is a senior vice president of public finance at Stifel, Nicolaus & Co., said the final report should be ready by Aug. 8.

Read More

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations