HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's just one aspect of Austin that always bugs me. We try to cut corners way too much to save money or time. I mean, I think that with the boost to the property tax revenue the city and county would get from all of that development that we should get something more substantial and permanent than a floating bridge.
Honestly I never thought they proposed that to save money. Especially once you add operating costs, I'd be surprised if it's cheaper.

I figured it was just new/unique/original/"more-Austiny"

You know, the gondola of bridge designs.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's just one aspect of Austin that always bugs me. We try to cut corners way too much to save money or time. I mean, I think that with the boost to the property tax revenue the city and county would get from all of that development that we should get something more substantial and permanent than a floating bridge.
Please tell me this is a joke. How about something that has the capacity to be here in 100 years?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:07 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If they want another pedestrian bridge then build another pedestrian bridge, maybe one where some sort of future light rail component could be built onto.
Exactly.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:39 AM

Yeti's flagship store on S. Congress is considered to be one of - if not the first - South Shore projects.
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...ongress/ns9fZ/

From the article:

The U/C location from a September Google driveby:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 11:28 PM

Not sure if this counts as being technically south shore, but it's south congress, so I thought it warranted mentioning. But the owner of a pretty large piece of property on SOCO has decided to develop it into mixed-use, per the Statesman's report.

http://www.statesman.com/business/do...ef=cbTopWidget

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Not sure if this counts as being technically south shore, but it's south congress, so I thought it warranted mentioning. But the owner of a pretty large piece of property on SOCO has decided to develop it into mixed-use, per the Statesman's report.

http://www.statesman.com/business/do...ef=cbTopWidget
Glad to see Lake Flato will be doing this project - they do really excellent work.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's not just Docs, that's quite a lot of businesses that this development will be displacing. Other than restaurant space, there's no mention of retail space.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:24 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
It's not just Docs, that's quite a lot of businesses that this development will be displacing. Other than restaurant space, there's no mention of retail space.
My hope is that, as more and more plots get developed in or near downtown, developers will see local businesses as advantageous for retail/restaurant spots on the ground floors. Not only does it bring density/development (which is inevitable), but it preserves culture and keeps local businesses around. I'm glad to see more density, but I've heard great things about that restaurant (I've not been there) and I know a few friends who will be sad to see it go. Good to know that they're looking for another spot.

I know that there's no way to force developers to rent out to local businesses only, but I do wonder if incentives would at all be reasonable to that end? What do you guys who are more familiar with how incentives work think of that? Obviously, part of it would require keeping the rent low enough for local businesses to be able to afford it...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
My hope is that, as more and more plots get developed in or near downtown, developers will see local businesses as advantageous for retail/restaurant spots on the ground floors. Not only does it bring density/development (which is inevitable), but it preserves culture and keeps local businesses around. I'm glad to see more density, but I've heard great things about that restaurant (I've not been there) and I know a few friends who will be sad to see it go. Good to know that they're looking for another spot.

I know that there's no way to force developers to rent out to local businesses only, but I do wonder if incentives would at all be reasonable to that end? What do you guys who are more familiar with how incentives work think of that? Obviously, part of it would require keeping the rent low enough for local businesses to be able to afford it...
After the Domain subsidy controversy, City Council passed a resolution banning all retail subsidies. The only way the City can mandate local business requirements is through redevelopment of City-owned land like Seaholm and Mueller. There are requirements in both cases.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 2:09 PM

Quote:
The Statesman article mentions retail space:
A mixed-use project planned for the commercial strip that includes Doc’s would displace the pub, along with Sfanthor House of Wax, Texas National Outfitters, Wet Salon & Studio, Strut, Parts & Labour, United Apparel Liquidators and a gym. The project calls for office, retail and restaurant uses as well as a parking garage.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 5:48 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
The Statesman article mentions retail space:
A mixed-use project planned for the commercial strip that includes Doc’s would displace the pub, along with Sfanthor House of Wax, Texas National Outfitters, Wet Salon & Studio, Strut, Parts & Labour, United Apparel Liquidators and a gym. The project calls for office, retail and restaurant uses as well as a parking garage.
It does! I have dyslexia with numbers but I wonder if I have a little dyslexia with words too because I swear I only saw restaurant uses.

Speaking of new development along SoCo, a little off topic but not totally as it would link SoCo to South Shore Central. Has there been any updates on the possibility of the School for the Deaf selling their property along Congress?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 1:21 AM
World Traveler

^ I recall that mentioned on this forum a long time ago (maybe more than a year ago). I just skimmed through a bunch of stuff and couldn't find the reference. There was an article talking about MUD for the entirety of the grassy stretch from Nellie to the creek, if I recall correctly.

I do think it could work - they could even tie it into the school and connect SoCo with South Shore, like you mentioned, Jdawgboy, and perhaps have some outdoor eating space or something to protect the huge trees there. Could be fun.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 4:34 AM

Quote:
It does! I have dyslexia with numbers but I wonder if I have a little dyslexia with words too because I swear I only saw restaurant uses.

Speaking of new development along SoCo, a little off topic but not totally as it would link SoCo to South Shore Central. Has there been any updates on the possibility of the School for the Deaf selling their property along Congress?
This is not happening. The Texas School for the Deaf is receiving over $200M from the state for the campus renovation/expansion starting next year. TSD is here to stay forever. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 10:58 AM
World Traveler

I don't think he was saying that the school should go away; he was only asking about the land along Congress. No one is suggesting the school should go away.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 8:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The school is not going anywhere nor should it. The only piece of their property in question is the strip of land which borders Congress Ave. There was an article as drummer mentioned regarding the possibility that they might sell the strip of land. The school itself would not be affected. I was just asking if anyone had heard or seen any updates about that? If I remember correctly, it was only a possible option that they could do.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
The school is not going anywhere nor should it. The only piece of their property in question is the strip of land which borders Congress Ave. There was an article as drummer mentioned regarding the possibility that they might sell the strip of land. The school itself would not be affected. I was just asking if anyone had heard or seen any updates about that? If I remember correctly, it was only a possible option that they could do.
Got it, thanks for the clarification. I agree about the strip of land. It should be redeveloped. Too many homeless people set their camps there.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 2:03 AM
World Traveler

It seems to me that it would be a wise financial decision for the school also. If they sold it now, when the market is red hot, think of how much they could bring in...it's prime real estate.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post

Yes, it would be good to see more density while preserving some of the good old stuff. A right of first refusal for the old tenants is a good start.
Just drove up Burnet Rd this weekend and noticed the new Pour House pub on the ground floor of a 5 story mixed use development.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCirca2014 View Post
Got it, thanks for the clarification. I agree about the strip of land. It should be redeveloped. Too many homeless people set their camps there.
Welcome to the forum. It's great to see new posters. Feel free to join into the conversation in any of the threads.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 11:24 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Having more shops/restaurants on that strip would be really cool. It'd extend South Congress and make it even more vibrant.

I don't believe TSD should move. I like that they've been there so long. But that strip of land is not used by them, from what I can tell. Sell it and stipulate the buyer has to put up a nice privacy fence or wall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin