HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 7:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

this is interesting...
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 5:19 AM
visionary

I thought you guys should take a look at this affordable housing proposal ... (just to let you know its politically affiliated with the green party so take how you will)

http://www.growhousingtoronto.com/index.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 3:10 AM

The girl in the middle is my environmental design prof at the U of M she's also involved with the organization Architects Without Boarders.

She's a very strong proponent in favour of Rapid Transit and more downtown living and mixed use design.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 4:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

this sucks arman van burman was here last week and i did not know
Video Link

2 years in a row i have missed him gah!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:45 PM
What could go wrong?

March 27, 2008

2007 A RECORD YEAR FOR MANITOBA POPULATION GROWTH: SWAN
- - -
Positive Interprovincial Gains Shown in Stats Can Quarterly Report

Competitiveness, Training and Trade Minister Andrew Swan welcomed Statistics Canada information released today showing record population growth for Manitoba including an increase in population from other provinces and strong gains due to immigration.

"Not only has Manitoba seen record population growth this year, we have also seen an overall increase in population from other provinces in the last quarter," said Swan. "Manitoba is on a roll and continues to reach important milestones."

The Statistics Canada figures released today show:

- Manitoba recorded an increase in population from other provinces in the fourth quarter of 2007 of 288 people. This positive net interprovincial migration includes a positive inflow of 414 persons from Alberta.

- The population of Manitoba rose by nearly 13,100 people in 2007, the second-highest increase since 1972.

- The population increase is ahead of the national
average for the first time since 1984 and fourth best among provinces.

- Over the last year, 9,200 more individuals came to Manitoba than left, an increase of 7,781 over last year and the highest level in 35 years.

- Manitoba welcomed over 10,947 international immigrants in 2007.

"People are taking notice that Manitoba is a great place to live, work and raise a family and the results are being seen," said Swan. "We continue to offer outstanding employment opportunities and an affordable cost of living and we look forward to reaching the 1.2 million population mark very soon."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:06 PM
Back from the dead

^Hey, now that's good news !

One thing I have to admit though, for as much disdain as I have for the NDP , they must be doing something right. These aren't the same guys that drove us into the ground back when Pawley was in charge. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 10:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Fire damages Main street apartment building (jarvis and main)
CJOB's Jeff Keele reporting
3/31/2008

Winnipeg firefighters made short work of a fire late Monday afternoon at an apartment building on Main street..
The fire was contained to a ninth floor suite..

Firefighters were able to put the fire out soon after their arrival at the scene, around 5:30..

Tenants on the 9th floor were evacuated because of smoke..

The cause is under investigation.. There were no reports of any serious injuries..

At one point there were several emergency vehicles in both lanes of Main street disrupting rush hour traffic..

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 12:59 PM

Ugly or not, these signs should have the new logo. Coun Wyatt shopuld personally be responsible to pay to have the new logo put on all these signs.

Wyatt's sign switcheroo infuriates trails director
Bartley Kives

Updated: April 9 at 12:55 AM CDT

Print Article E-mail Article A seemingly innocuous plan to create trail signage has reignited a long-simmering dispute over the city logo sometimes derided as "The Nipple."

Earlier this week, Winnipeg Trails Association director Janice Lukes marched down to City Hall to complain that a handful of councillors quietly managed to remove the official City of Winnipeg logo from a series of trail signs that will be erected around Winnipeg.

In place of the logo, which was created during the Glen Murray administration, the new trail signs will feature the old City of Winnipeg crest. The switcheroo was suggested by council's East Kildonan-Transcona community committee and then approved behind closed doors by the Secretariat committee.

Now, Lukes is annoyed the new trail signs will have the crest while existing ones have the logo -- at a time when the city is attempting to provide better signage for all of its trails.

"Anyone who knows anything about branding knows you have to have consistency. You don't see Nike changing their swoosh," seethed Lukes, who's also upset small trail groups who helped fund the sign-creation efforts had no say in the design change.

Transcona Coun. Russ Wyatt, the politician behind the sign switcheroo, makes no apologies about reigniting the Nipple debate.

"I've always been a supporter of the old crest. It represents the 13 municipalities that came together under Unicity, it has the crocus and it has Upper Fort Garry Gate," he said. "It's a far better symbol of the city than something dreamt up by some artsy-fartsy member of the Toronto literati."

That would be Glen Murray, in case you misunderstood the subtle jab, which immediately provoked the ire of the former mayor's allies.

"I can't believe this is still happening," said Fort Rouge Coun. Jenny Gerbasi. "We're talking about an emblem that appears on every single piece of City of Winnipeg (property).

"Do we want a modern city, or some old-fashioned crest?"

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 4:47 PM

What is the old logo supposed to be though? I don't think its so offensive...I do like the crest too though. But really, sounds like a make-work thing.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 7:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we changed why are we changing it back? seems like a waste of money now we realy are going backwards oye

our city councle is a friging joke

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 9:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Grad gives gift of real estate to University of Manitoba

Last Updated: Tuesday, April 8, 2008 | 3:20 PM CT Comments2Recommend27

CBC News

A University of Manitoba graduate is donating the family farm where he grew up to the medical school.
The gift will be added to a $50,000 endowment from Dr. John Downey, who now practises and teaches rehabilitation medicine in New York.
Downey, a former medical student, has willed the farm he grew up on just north of Regina to the university.
The money from the sale of the farm will help support aboriginal medical students.
"I've been most grateful for my education [in Winnipeg] and wanted to do something to honour my parents and for the school," Downey, who is in his 70s, said in a release.
As someone from a rural area, he knows the challenges rural and aboriginal students face, he said.
"This scholarship will help encourage aboriginal students who may face similar challenges as they pursue their medical education," he said.
Upon Downey's death, the university will sell the farm near Nokomis and add the proceeds to his existing endowment fund. Downey's family has the right of first refusal on the sale.
Downey graduated from the U of M with his MD and B.Sc. in 1954. He interned at the University of British Columbia and Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York in the area of rehabilitation medicine. He spent two years in internal medicine at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital at Harvard University and completed his D.Phil. at Christ Church Oxford.
Downey became the Simon Baruch professor and chairman of the department of rehabilitation medicine at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Centre in New York, where he is a professor emeritus.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 9:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Odeon Drive-In won't reopen

Updated: April 9 at 03:57 PM CDT

Print Article E-mail Article Winnipeg's last drive-in movie theatre is closing -- and this time it's for real.

"Unfortunately the drive-in will not be reopening again this year," said Pat Marshall, vice president of communications for Cineplex Entertainment.

The Cineplex-managed Odeon Drive-In has operated for four decades on a stretch of land just outside the city's western border, but after poor attendance in 2004 it looked like closure was imminent.

The theatre was spared for a few more years after more than 11,000 fans signed an online petition to keep the drive-in open.

But the grassroots effort to keep the theatre running didn't translate into more visitors, said Marshall, and attendance has "fallen off quite dramatically," with drops of more than 40 per cent over the last two summers.

"It's just too difficult to try to make a business of it when there isn't the support," she said.

The 998-car venue opened in 1964, and has existed in largely the same condition ever since, making it a nostalgic draw for Winnipeggers. However, Cineplex has repeatedly cited low attendance as a problem in recent years.

The drive-in is typically open from the May long weekend to the September long weekend annually.

Marshall said the owners of the property, which has been up for sale for years, will look for other uses for it.

lindsey.wiebe@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 9:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thats sad

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 9:34 PM

^That is too bad. Was that the last one on the prairies? Any others in Canada still??

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^That is too bad. Was that the last one on the prairies? Any others in Canada still??
The Cinema 6 drive-in in Regina closed in 2006. I don't know who owns it, I think the people who ran the drive-in before were only leasing it. If some nostalgic person with a little extra cash wanted to fix it up, I'm sure they could. There are still a few in small towns in Saskatchewan, though. I know for sure that there is one in Wolseley. I'm pretty sure there's one in Carlyle. I think there are a few more still open.

I liked going to the drive-in...Maybe I'll have to go to a show in Wolseley this summer. The problem was that I would always fall asleep. We would go to a double bill and by the time it was dark enough to start the movie...I'd be asleep half way through the second.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 4:00 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
What is the old logo supposed to be though? I don't think its so offensive...I do like the crest too though. But really, sounds like a make-work thing.
Glad to see the Glen Murray clown logo get the boot. It was imbarassing to say the least. Definately didn't suggest a modern city in my books.

I am very glad to see the crest make its return.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 7:46 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 5:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:23 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
I would take these stats with a grain of salt.

They only represent crimes that were actually reported.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:30 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
There's still one in my hometown (Killarney) ... it's season has really shortened, it used to open on May long weekend, but now it usually opens around Canada day and closes in Sept. Most of the movies they show have already been on DVD for a few months prior.

I think Morden still has a drive-in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan