HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 12:44 AM

Dec. 19 2017 pictures:

^^^^ Forming the 14th floor. Tie-back installed on gray crane. By my rough calculation they completed 12 condo floors in approx. 16 weeks, or approx. 9.5 days per floor.

A few days ago I noted they were excavating along the east side of the parkade. The hole is not all that big and is now covered with some tarps. So its probably not a big issue (unlike last time they did this).

^^^^ Construction elevator going up on the north side of the hotel. There is a surprisingly large pile of dirt accumulating from the office tower parkade shoring. No digging yet.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:25 PM

Has the grey crane been extended in height yet? doesn't look like it...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Has the grey crane been extended in height yet? doesn't look like it...
nope, looked like it was on saturday as i saw the jacking rig being lifted. im sure it will be soon since the floor plates are getting closer to the crane.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:35 PM

I imagine these towers will look similar in cladding to the Winterpeg duo by the same co.'s....

You can google, Glass House by UrbanCap and Alt Hotel in Winnipeg.

Sorry for waking you up from your cold hibernation, but you've got to sometime!

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jan 4, 2018 at 6:13 AM. Reason: off topic

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:45 PM

was away for a bit over December and have to say I am really surprised the grey crane height has still not been increased! Maybe weather was too cold for this work? This would be a good week to boost that thing up, as warmer temps right now.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:15 PM
Pure Phase

Quote:
was away for a bit over December and have to say I am really surprised the grey crane height has still not been increased! Maybe weather was too cold for this work? This would be a good week to boost that thing up, as warmer temps right now.
I walked by the site yesterday and there appeared to be pieces on site ready to be added to it, so I assume it'll be extended soon.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molasses View Post
I walked by the site yesterday and there appeared to be pieces on site ready to be added to it, so I assume it'll be extended soon.
I was by there at noon today (Wed) and they had jacked it one segment with a second in the rig. Interesting to watch if anyone gets a chance to go by.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:42 PM

Is it intended to be the same height as the red crane?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Is it intended to be the same height as the red crane?
3 sections taller i believe.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 9:26 PM

Has activity on-site slowed due to the extreme cold the last little while?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Has activity on-site slowed due to the extreme cold the last little while?
It was as busy as I've ever seen it there today. They are building the forms for the 15th condo floor and they have started digging for the office parkade. There were many dumptrucks queued up to haul dirt away.

I'm not sure how cold it has to be before they postpone pouring concrete. I'm sure it was below -20 back in Nov. for one of the condo floor pours.

The site was totally shut down between Xmas and Jan 2. I don't know if that was due to the weather or just a lucky coincidence.

I'll post a few pics later.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 12:41 AM

Jan 5, 2018 Pics...

^^^^ From Sask Crescent. The gray crane was jacked by 5 segments over 2 days.

^^^^ From Broadway Bridge. Over the last few weeks they have been removing the temporary berm from the river under the Victoria Bridge. I don't think I'll ever be able to look at that faux homage to the past without thinking about what might have been. Although there is some parallax, the size of the Remai Modern is evident. One would need a condo on a pretty high floor for a view over it.

^^^^ Forming the condo 15th floor and hotel 13th floor. Construction elevator on the hotel functional. No sign of one on the condo yet.

^^^^ Excavation of the office tower parkade has begun. There were many dumptrucks queued up. It looks to me like there are cassions around the entire perimeter of the parkade.

Last edited by alt_center; Jan 6, 2018 at 1:34 AM. Reason: fix typo

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 4:25 AM

Great update, well worth the wait! Perfect shot from Broadway with fresh perspectives I was wondering about. Cheers! Oops. I should not drink und post! (like that last time)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 4:44 PM

It is so nice to see some tall buildings going up in downtown Saskatoon. I drive by everyday and imagine how nice it will look when all completed.

It just goes to show that there is demand for quality condos in Saskatoon. We just need developers to be willing to take a chance and build here.

There are so many empty lots in the downtown area that are prime candidates for a 35 floor mix use development. The corner of third Ave and 22nd Street is a great example. I just wish a developer from out east would take a chance on Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
I just wish a developer from out east would take a chance on Saskatoon.
Well, Urban Capital seems to be doing just that as they’re in the planning stages of their second project here.

Last edited by Echoes; Jan 7, 2018 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 10:10 AM

Went for a walk with my dog and family around River Landing in +2 chinook temps through the downtown today, only place that made me feel uncomfortable was around the lighthouse which could easily be improved with more funding. Saskatoon’s downtown has such a homie feel. With the new people moving into The Banks and about to be moving into River Landing, I just feel like downtown is on the verge of exploding with new condo’s. It’s just way too beautiful not to invest in. Way more beautiful than downtown Toronto with the current Blizzard and -30 temps they’re expieriencing. So many more opportunities to exemplify the river and turn it into a true winter city.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 10:19 AM

AND THEN we went through what’s known as Brighton but looks like a post war build with how close the suburban houses are from one another. Remember when they said a Motiom Fitness and a Keg and bla bla bla we’re going to open there? Lies. That area’s movie theatre is going to suck more people from the downtown, and all of those poor people living there will have to commute 30 minutes everyday to wherever than work downtown or north end. Poor people. Such a shame Saskatoon has such poor developers with little vision - also a shame Dream decided that moving their head office to the Far East side instead of downtown made any sense to the poor person they hire from the West side that’s going to have to drive 45 minutes every day. What a limiting move to lose out on half the work force in the city. To them, and the developers in that Stonebridge district - what a brain dead move to save some money by having your offices not centralized only to save a few bucks on leases. What are you really saving when that new grad chooses to work downtown for a higher quality of life, or just leaves Saskatoon because half the businesses that should be downtown are in the middle of nowhere. The main culprit of my rant there but isn’t limited to FederatedCo-op, who’s Building downtown is actually able to be doubles in height if they chose to, I think they could just start on it any time? When I went for a tour in there they said this was possible, but instead they’ve built a new wooden office in Stonebridge. Such a shame.

Let’s list some more companies who are downtown in other cities but aren’t in Saskatoon thanks to city council approving Stonebridge’s business park built by the geniuse team at North Prairie lead by Don Atchison and friends:

1. Farm Credit Canada
2. North Prairie Developments
3. Shenouda headley Law Group
4. Manulife Securities
5. WSP
6. What must be 60,000 square feet of Co-op admin offices

The equivalent for 2 office towers has been built in Stonebridge in the past 10 years. What a waste. But can you blame these businesses? What opportunity have they had to move downtown, while other prospective developers were potentially looking at building new office space downtown, companies like North Prairie have been scaring them away with their market fear mongering plans for mega project office towers that would make the competition’s projects flop. I don’t think North Prairie has ever actually had plans to build downtown, only to create hype to scare away companies like Urban Capital and to continue building cheaper low risk commercial in the North and South ends to force new or expanding business into those areas and not downtown. This is exactly what Dream is doing to the east side now, and if all goes according to plan it will be a clone of what Stonebridge’s business park looks and feels like, and Saskatoon’s faster than normal urban sprawl will continue for another decade.

Last edited by roryn1; Jan 8, 2018 at 10:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:19 AM
ARTchitecture

Wow, I couldn't be more thrilled for Saskatoon! I have been gone so long focussing on school, haven't been following stuff outside of Calgary and Toronto much. Really amazing to see this, and how far along it is. Glad I stumbled across this!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Went for a walk with my dog and family around River Landing in +2 chinook temps through the downtown today, only place that made me feel uncomfortable was around the lighthouse which could easily be improved with more funding. Saskatoon’s downtown has such a homie feel. With the new people moving into The Banks and about to be moving into River Landing, I just feel like downtown is on the verge of exploding with new condo’s. It’s just way too beautiful not to invest in. Way more beautiful than downtown Toronto with the current Blizzard and -30 temps they’re expieriencing. So many more opportunities to exemplify the river and turn it into a true winter city.
Lol, more like +1C in Toronto today! Temps were nowhere near -30c, maybe with the wind chill. I do see that you guys have a bunch of actual -30s in your forecast for this week though

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 3:23 PM

Installation of timbers in the shoring system is already underway on the East Tower site. Hopefully the excavation for this parkade won't encounter any stoppages like took place on the parkade for the condo/hotel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan