HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 8:48 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Not being a dick, but 15 degrees outside probably helps.
A bit, but no way was it 15c. Maybe 7 or 8 with a fairly cold wind. Nice sunshine though.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 8:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Someone mentioned that there was 2-3K there today. There was well over 40K for Ottawa which had an actual parade on top of that.
The Redblacks actually rival the Senators for status of most popular sports team in the Ottawa market. That's saying something.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 9:21 PM

The Grey Cup parade in Montreal in 2009 attracted 250,000 people. The 2010 Grey Cup attracted 200,000. I know we are talking about a completely different market, but the crowd in Toronto seems very small in this regard.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 9:37 PM

I don't think the Esks had over 10,000 in 2015 when they won. They didn't do a parade but they did do like what the Argos did today. So if a parade was done, there'd be a lot more people coming out of their offices and lining the streets then meeting in one location.

Kind of hard to attract a lot of people when you do it at lunch when a lot of the fans work outside the core of downtown. Not making excuses but it's just hard to make it work for everyone I guess.

Just my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 9:45 PM

I believe the Stamps did something similar too at Olympic Plaza, attracting around the same amount of fans too.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 9:51 PM

You people talking about all your championship rallies and parades are a bunch of jackholes.

signed,

Winnipeg

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
know we are talking about a completely different market, but the crowd in Toronto seems very small in this regard.
It is and it was.

My coworker who sits beside me today asked me if the game was this coming weekend.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:21 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
It is and it was.

My coworker who sits beside me today asked me if the game was this coming weekend.
It was bigger than I was expecting, and very enthusiastic. It wasn’t a parade but given the way traffic is going here these days, a parade might not have been a great PR gesture.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:28 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
I don't think the Esks had over 10,000 in 2015 when they won. They didn't do a parade but they did do like what the Argos did today. So if a parade was done, there'd be a lot more people coming out of their offices and lining the streets then meeting in one location.

Kind of hard to attract a lot of people when you do it at lunch when a lot of the fans work outside the core of downtown. Not making excuses but it's just hard to make it work for everyone I guess.

Just my opinion.
Yes it wasn’t great. For me, lunchtime is short, so it was a little annoying that at the announced time of 12:30, all we got was some sort of hip-hop dancing (if that’s what it’s called) for 20 minutes. Then another 15 minutes of confusion and more random-looking dancing until the Argos actually appeared. Instead of someone familiar to emcee, it was some guy I’ve never seen before who claimed to be from TSN. Jim Popp went on for a bit too long and I had to leave during Trestman’s oration. But it was still fun.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:33 PM

TFC only major pro sports team in Toronto that hasn’t congratulated Argos
3Down Staff November 28, 2017

They may be roommates but that doesn’t mean Toronto FC and the Toronto Argonauts are friends.

Every other major pro sports franchise in the city of Toronto has congratulated the Argonauts on their CFL championship win – except the soccer team.

“Larry [Tanenbaum] to me is an absolute gem – his family is spectacular. It’s not hard to figure out why he’s had success,” Leafs head coach Mike Babcock said about the MLSE chairman who has an ownership stake in the Argos. “For him to keep doing great things for the city of Toronto is a lot of fun. Any time you’re around winning, that’s a real special thing. Obviously, a good example for us. It’s great they were able to look after that with their opportunity. It looked like a lot of fun.”

Even the Jays, completely owned by Rogers who have no stake in the CFL, gave props to the Argos.

But TFC remains silent on social media. That’s a statement in its own right. There have been many vocal Reds fans who were upset that the Argos were allowed to move to BMO Field for the 2016 season and the movement continues. A “No Argos at BMO” campaign remains strong from Toronto FC supporters.

Of course, they could just be busy. Toronto FC hosts Columbus in the second leg of the conference finals on Wednesday at BMO. Be sure to congratulate them if they win. Or not.

UPDATE: Toronto FC did finally send out a Tweet….

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:23 PM

Why the CFL wants to move up its schedule
John Hodge 3downnation November 28, 2017

The 2017 CFL season is officially in the books following the Toronto Argonauts’ 27-24 Grey Cup victory over the Calgary Stampeders. Below are my thoughts on the game along with a few other key off-season issues.

Money, money, money

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie made waves this past week when he suggested that Grey Cup games may soon be played in October, almost three full weeks sooner than the earliest Grey Cup game of all-time (the 1997 Grey Cup was played on November 16).

There are a lot of moving parts to the argument both for and against moving up the CFL schedule — tradition, cold weather, snow, competition with the Stanley Cup playoffs, competition with the NFL, etc. — but there’s really only one factor that matters to the CFL office: money.

The CFL has been selling its American television rights to ESPN for a paltry sum for close to a decade now. Former commissioner Mark Cohon — the man who made the first ESPN broadcast agreement in the late 2000s — didn’t see the deal as an opportunity to make money, but as a chance to gain exposure south of the border. Now that the CFL is getting a fair amount of attention from an American audience, it may be time to capitalize by negotiating a more lucrative broadcasting agreement.

And I believe the league will get it.

More and more Americans take an interest in the CFL every year for a number of reasons.

For one, many big-name college stars who end up in the CFL bring with them legions of fans who want to follow their careers through the pros. Players like DeVier Posey, Trent Richardson, Darvin Adams, Tommie Campbell, and James Wilder Jr. all come from huge football schools with massive fan bases. Seeing former college stars enjoy professional success in Canada should only turn more American fans onto the Canadian game.

Secondly, the CFL is phenomenally entertaining — I’ve been following it and the NFL for almost twenty years and the 2017 season was as compelling a campaign as I’ve seen north or south of the border. With a shorter play clock, more passing, and all types of shenanigans (ie. game-winning rouges, kickbacks, etc.) that don’t exist in the American game, Canadian football is a delightful alternative to the ground-and-pound, clock management game of the NFL.

Finally, the CFL kicks off three months prior to the NFL regular season. This is where moving the schedule earlier comes into play — the more games the CFL can play before September, the more a potential CFL television deal would be worth south of the border.

Randy Ambrosie is a smart man. He knows how to generate new revenue streams for a league that, despite its success in markets like Regina, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Edmonton, has areas of concern in cities like Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal.

NBC Sports reported this past week that the CFL is looking to alter its schedule for the purpose of negotiating a broadcasting deal with the NFL Network. If the NFL Network is interested in negotiating for the television rights currently owned by ESPN, that should positively affect the CFL’s ability to demand a good dollar amount for its product.

I like having the Grey Cup in November as much as any CFL fan, but the league needs to maximize its money-making opportunities. If moving the season up by a month means bringing a significant new source of revenue to the league, consider me first in line to attend an April preseason game.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:55 PM

Many CFL games draw much better ratings in the U.S than MLS. CFL fans especially in Western Canada would much rather have the playoffs in October than Nov weather wise. A good example are my home town Bombers we drew crowds of 30,000 + when Calgary and Edmonton visited and a sellout during the banjo bowl with Sask. Later in the year as temps cooled attendance on average goes down around 3000 per game. If the CFL can get a good U.S. tv deal all the power to them. English premier league soccer does it with NBC why can't the CFL do something in the U.S too.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:04 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Many CFL games draw much better ratings in the U.S than MLS. CFL fans especially in Western Canada would much rather have the playoffs in October than Nov weather wise. A good example are my home town Bombers we drew crowds of 30,000 + when Calgary and Edmonton visited and a sellout during the banjo bowl with Sask. Later in the year as temps cooled attendance on average goes down around 3000 per game. If the CFL can get a good U.S. tv deal all the power to them. English premier league soccer does it with NBC why can't the CFL do something in the U.S too.
What are the Bombers going to draw when they're up against the Jets in the Stanley Cup finals though? And what are the TV rights going to be worth when TSN can't fill its fall schedule with football, but has to start promoting something else in the middle of October? There are also issues with bumping up against the NFL draft (the CFL signs a lot of players after they aren't drafted) and there would be no more opportunity to bring players north after the NFL cuts (or, at least, this could only be done for the last couple of games of the season, at most).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
It is and it was.

Statistically speaking then, you and the guy on the other side of him responded by saying no, you both watched some, or all, of it this past weekend.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
What are the Bombers going to draw when they're up against the Jets in the Stanley Cup finals though? And what are the TV rights going to be worth when TSN can't fill its fall schedule with football, but has to start promoting something else in the middle of October? There are also issues with bumping up against the NFL draft (the CFL signs a lot of players after they aren't drafted) and there would be no more opportunity to bring players north after the NFL cuts (or, at least, this could only be done for the last couple of games of the season, at most).
One of Winnipeg's favorite sporting days of the year is the one Saturday a year when the Bombers and Jets play on the same day. The Jets making the cup finals is a once in a lifetime event I do not see the Jets going to the cup finals for the next 5-10 years consecutively. TSN will be fine as Sportsnet still has the NHL rights for the next 8 years. There are hundreds of players out of U.S college football every year and only 9 CFL teams and 32 NFL teams to find a roster spot the good players will still be found. Also if the CFL can land a lucrative U.S. tv deal it can help them attract and retain higher caliber players scouts and coaches long term.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 3:18 AM

What a great article to fan the rivalry between the two teams...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 4:06 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
One of Winnipeg's favorite sporting days of the year is the one Saturday a year when the Bombers and Jets play on the same day. The Jets making the cup finals is a once in a lifetime event I do not see the Jets going to the cup finals for the next 5-10 years consecutively. TSN will be fine as Sportsnet still has the NHL rights for the next 8 years. There are hundreds of players out of U.S college football every year and only 9 CFL teams and 32 NFL teams to find a roster spot the good players will still be found. Also if the CFL can land a lucrative U.S. tv deal it can help them attract and retain higher caliber players scouts and coaches long term.
It is pretty hard to get most U.S. players even to look at coming to Canada. You have to have room for finding and convincing players who didn't get drafted but still have hopes of an NFL call. That requires a good space of time after the NFL draft, for the reality to sink in. Then, at the other end of the season, you can't bring in any new players from the NFL cuts either, even your own cuts (e.g. no Derel Walker in Edmonton this year) except, at most, for the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season. The quality of players will go down.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 4:57 AM

This 'No Argos @ BMO' campaign is so childish. It looks bad on Toronto.

Stadiums are almost always big money losers so the more use it gets cuts the losses for the taxpayer.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 6:02 AM

While it was unfortunate that it started late, once it got going I thought the Argos rally went well, even if some of the speeches were a bit long-winded. With the crowd (and the rest of the players) chanting "One more year" I thought it was quite telling that Ricky Ray commented, "Why not two?".

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:59 PM

O’Leary: Argos architects encourage fans to join ‘The Love Boat’
Chris O'Leary Senior Writer cfl.ca November 29 2017

Jim Popp had barely arrived at the Argos Grey Cup rally before the tears came out.

The team’s general manager was one of the first people from the organization to make his way into the middle of Nathan Phillips Square, at the foot of Toronto’s City Hall downtown. Once he saw and hugged some members of the team’s front office, the 26-year CFL GM couldn’t help himself. As Popp and other members of the team took their turns speaking on Tuesday, you could see why.

The rally was no doubt about the Argos and their incredible come-from-behind Grey Cup win over a favoured Calgary team on Sunday, but it was as much a serving of notice for everyone in Toronto and for the rest of the league about what’s been built in nine short months.

“We know some of you come out to the stadium every game. Some of you once in a while. We know a lot of you follow us,” Popp said when he took the microphone in front of a crowd of fans.

“If you’re not a believer, start believing. Don’t stop believing. If you’re part of us you’re a champion, that’s what I can tell you. You’re a champion today. If you haven’t joined our family, we invite you. We need you. We want you to be a part.

“Join the love boat.”

Grey Cup or no — though the win carries a ton of weight with it — the love boat was built, as coach Marc Trestman described it, piece by piece with a bunch of people on their knees. Construction, Trestman said, started 185 days ago, with the end date of Tuesday’s rally, circled as the mark of completion.

“Buy in, buy into it,” Popp urged. “These players, the staff, the organization, a lot of you out there, you bought into it and you’re a champion today. This city is a champion. We want to expand it, extend it to you. I’m telling you again, join the Love Boat, let’s set sail, achieve our goals, believe in one another as a family does to try and do what’s best.”

If you were walking by on Queen Street unaware of what you were hearing you might have though it was a sales pitch for anything but sports. If you envisioned, as Trestman pointed out, 185 days ago that you’d be hearing any of this, it would sound too absurd to even consider. But Jim Popp’s and Marc Trestman’s love boat is real, with an entire organization of people fully on board and the result — arguably one of the most impressive Grey Cup wins in this league’s history — speaking for itself.

On Sunday, we all saw the Argos’ backbone on the field. Two days later, we saw the team’s heartbeat. Linebacker Marcus Ball explained his Today Is The Day speech, the one he gave on game day to his teammates this year that told them this was the day they conquered their adversity, whatever it may be. Today was the day they win.

“It’s not just about football,” Ball now a two-time Grey Cup winner said. “It’s about life. It’s about love. It’s about you as an individual. Any goal you have, any struggle you are facing, any stress you are facing, you wake up, you set a plan and when you wake up that day you tell yourself, today is the day. You overcome.”

Trestman has long spoken of using football to teach life to his players. His thank yous included the trio of bus drives that took him, his staff and players to practice every day, from their hub of the old grounds of Don Bosco High School to Downsview Park and back. The goal is to win games and championships, but there’s always something bigger in the coach’s messages.

“We tried to blend our talent into a team, because the formula was going to be this: Selflessness and talent leads to love,” he said.

“I want to make it clear. This is big. It wasn’t necessarily talking about love as an emotion. Which we now have. I think you guys would agree. It was love as a commitment to each other. A great man once said, ‘Love is loyalty, love is teamwork — ‘“

A perfectly pitched voice interrupted the coach, professing its love for equipment manager Danny Webb.

“Love is that too,” Trestman said. “And love is respecting the dignity of others.”

Watching the players, coaches and execs of the team, it was clear that the buy-in on Popp and Trestman’s culture reached across the organization. For years, everyone and anyone in and around the league has had an opinion on how to fix the Argos, what they would do if they were in charge. A harmonized, championship-winning organization did what it could to reach out to the public to clear what might be the only hurdle that remains in front of it now.

Mayor (and former CFL commissioner) John Tory said twice in his brief address to the crowd that hey need to buy tickets. Popp said there’s always room on the love boat. There were 24,929 fans at the East Final at BMO Field on Nov. 19. There’s momentum and a feeling around the Argos right now that hasn’t been there for a long time. It’s a good thing.

You wonder if it maybe nudges Ricky Ray at all, who faces the offseason decision of riding off into the sunset as a four-time champion at 38, or coming back for more of what’s been so quickly built in Toronto.

While he spoke at the rally, fans chanted at Ray, “One more year! One more year!”

“Only one?” he said, playfully. “Why not two?”

A year ago, many free agents wouldn’t consider Toronto. Some of its own free-agents fled the second the door opened. This year, things could be different. There’s a proven GM-coach tandem. There’s winning. There’s love and a love boat.

“I’m thankful for my struggle,” Grey Cup MVP DeVier Posey said on Tuesday, quoting the poet Alexandra Elle. “Without it I wouldn’t have stumbled upon my strength.”

Posey looked out to the crowd to conclude.

“I believe we did it together.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada