HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 3:50 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

200,000 attend one day Luminaria Art Festival downtown

200,00 in it's third year and double what it did in its first year.

It sucks that the city reduced the size of the footprint which led to many complaints. I'm sure the footprint will be bigger next year.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Mar 16, 2010 at 9:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:28 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

This is great news! Glad to see people making their way into downtown.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:55 PM

Cool for SA. It usually packed around this time of year anyway. Know I'll be there tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 6:26 PM

We went this year for the first time and it was kind of a drag because it was just too crowded.

The Downtown Blog in the Express pretty much states my feelings about this year:
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...luminaria.html

It kind of felt more like a Fiesta event and it was just too hard to see any of the performers or exhibits. The last couple of years sounded pretty cool, but apparently they didn't really have the budget to keep it as it was in the past.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
We went this year for the first time and it was kind of a drag because it was just too crowded.

The Downtown Blog in the Express pretty much states my feelings about this year:
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...luminaria.html

It kind of felt more like a Fiesta event and it was just too hard to see any of the performers or exhibits. The last couple of years sounded pretty cool, but apparently they didn't really have the budget to keep it as it was in the past.
Same here.
I heard great things about it but went in with lower expectations because of the budget cuts.
It was rather difficult to see any performances except for the larger stage between the Fairmont and La Villita. It was "Fiesta-like" crowded and the flow of the exhibits could have been helped by better signage or better scheduling of the events. Hope they don't have any budget issues for next year.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 5:04 AM

lol, I can understand from reading the blog and the comments why people were frustrated and disappointed.

But come on, there's only a handful of cities in the US (and extremely few the size of SA) where you'll ever hear the words "there were just too many people downtown". Usually its the opposite

Case in point: I was in downtown Kansas City this past weekend during the Big XII championship, and it was nearly impossible to find a parking spot, people were crowding the streets, and the whole area had a lot of energy. For KC, that's probably the busiest downtown will get all year, but for SA that's probably a slow saturday in July.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio