HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Maybe you should start a fund, and raise money to get these towers built. Or find tenants - god knows Silverstein hasn't been trying - to get things financed.

Don't forget that Silverstein has a lease from the Port Authority for this space. Although technically "new", this is just replacement for space that was here already. It's simply a matter of putting in place what was there before. But things aren't done the way they were four decades ago. The redevelopment of Times Square, with smaller towers, took longer than this is taking, and there weren't nearly as many obstacles.
Where did I say he wasn't trying?

You're not being very civil, now, are you with that sarcastic response. Most of us here are not developers, so that response is silly and very outdated by now.

Last edited by aquablue; Feb 4, 2012 at 5:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 3:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
You're not being very civil, now, are you with that sarcastic response. Most of us here are not developers, so that response is silly and very outdated by now.
What's silly and outdated is this very immature whining about why these towers can't be built, when everyone knows there is no money for it right now. It's very childish to keep insisting these towers should have been built, when all indications are that things should be developed a little more cautiously here. First- there is no money. Secondly - there are no tenants. As I said before, when it happens, it'll happen.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 8:30 PM
DENNAB

^Which is why the government should just give them the money to build it, it would be pocket change to them

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
^Which is why the government should just give them the money to build it, it would be pocket change to them
We're far too busy buying fighter jets that will never see combat, and a new fleet of aircraft carriers when we already have more carriers than the rest of the world combined!

Sorry that was off topic. Steel's well above street level now, and it's frustrating that this is the last tower that will be built, outside of building 5, but this is by far the best one. Should be well worth the wait.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 8:21 PM
DENNAB

I thought tower 5 got cancelled?

But yea the new steel is really exciting, we've waited long enough.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 8:43 PM

Trying to figure out how to post screen shots ....but the new steel already has a few feet of covered space on it. Not sure if it's flooring for another floor..or what. For those of you with earthcam...go check it out. Fore those of you waiting for me to post a screen shot...I hope you have time on your hands. lol

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:16 PM

is this getting capped at the same floor as 3wtc? and i agree with nyguy, theres no money, and the government should not give them the money cause they don't have it. We're already in enough debt as it is.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:54 PM
DENNAB

"The government doesn't have it"

They don't? Where do the trillions that go to our military come from?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 1:30 AM

Quote:

It conjures it and will someday have to pay it back to American institutions, the Social Security trust fund, China and other foreign nations or it will become worthless through inflation. I'm firmly in the severely disappointed camp as far as the WTC redesign and progress. It's really not the point though.
There have been liberty bonds, insurance settlements and P.A. funds that could build these towers. At the same time there's been an utter lack of transparency in the WTC rebuilding process. All of that won't change the simple fact that if there are budget constraints and lack of national will it's safer to delay building the tower for anyone with a financial stake.
I do however think both 2 and 3 WTC will be built and sooner rather than later. It's good, modern Manhattan office space at a discounted rate. We know a lot of corporations such as Time Warner have leases ending soon. Even with the Hudson Yards project there will be demand for modern office space in NYC in the next couple of years. Have a good day everyone!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 1:52 AM

Quote:

Like the guy above me said, we borrow it. Our debt about $15 trillion dollars has now surpassed the size of our economy. The us borrows 42 cents of every dollar it spends. I mean, id much rather us spend of few million on this building than all the wars and military, but thats not likely to happen, so its not a good idea to get us into more debt that we don't need.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 2:49 AM

Quote:

By taxing future generations, borrowing from China, Japan and Arabs, raiding the Social Security trust and by diminishing the purchasing power of every hard working American's dollar through inflation.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:04 PM

I'm curious as to why that now lame/bland 3WTC seems to be more of a priority than 2WTC!? I wish they built/prioritize them in chronological order. 1...2..3...then 4. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2WTC is beautiful, unusual and striking and would transform the skyline. I want them all built, but I and I suspect most would be as upset if only 1 and 2 were the only ones to be built for the foreseeable future to be honest.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:19 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
I'm curious as to why that now lame/bland 3WTC seems to be more of a priority than 2WTC!? I wish they built/prioritize them in chronological order. 1...2..3...then 4. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2WTC is beautiful, unusual and striking and would transform the skyline. I want them all built, but I and I suspect most would be as upset if only 1 and 2 were the only ones to be built for the foreseeable future to be honest.
If a company wants to be the anchor tenant for 2 WTC before there is one for 3 WTC, (or doesn't want to be it for 3 WTC but 2 WTC) tower 2 would get built first. But since neither has an anchor tenant lined up ATM it only makes financial sens to go with the cheaper building first in terms of focus.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 9:12 PM
BANNED

So keep me updated, guys.. (Srry if someone asked this previously).

But when do they expect this to be completed again? Refresh my mind, haha!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:45 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ When they (Silverstein) sign a tenant. But everything should be completed by 2016-2017, I'd be really surprised if there are still two stumps in 2017.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
^ When they (Silverstein) sign a tenant. But everything should be completed by 2016-2017, I'd be really surprised if there are still two stumps in 2017.
WOW.. That is crazy. I was thinking something like 2014-2015...

2017.. Oh my. LOL.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 11:21 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringSkylines View Post
WOW.. That is crazy. I was thinking something like 2014-2015...

2017.. Oh my. LOL.
It could possibly get started in 2015 but we don't know what's going on in Silverstein's head for sure. Maybe he has a plan set out. Only he knows that. But this SHOULD be completed by 2017 along with 3 WTC.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 12:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
If a company wants to be the anchor tenant for 2 WTC before there is one for 3 WTC, (or doesn't want to be it for 3 WTC but 2 WTC) tower 2 would get built first.
Keep in mind also that Silverstein only has a minimal lease requirement before getting financial assistance from the Port Authority and the City to get tower 3 built. Tower 2 has none of those guarantees, and will likely need to lease more space to get traditional financing before the full tower can be built. It will happen, given time, but New York didn't build a lot of speculative office buildings when things were great. Financing, though not impossible, is still difficult to get.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:21 AM
don't *meddle*...

^^ Yeah, we better don't make the mistake "build it and they'll come" twice.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 2:08 PM

picture updates?

Don't get me wrong, arguing about financing does keep people posting, but how about something on topic? Whats going on with the tower this second. Pictures? Progress? The ground floor is so close to being finished, and they have steel going up! Decking for the lobby etc! It's a great day!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction