HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 11:34 PM

Check out this winner of a plan for the folks of rocky ridge and royal oak.

Plan is to create a right in from Crowchild trail onto Eamon Road. Check out the details.

http://www.calgary.ca/councillors/wa...ild-Trail.aspx

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 12:02 AM
power to the people!

Quote:
Please note that this proposal is just that – a suggestion put forward to residents for consideration. The City is seeking feedback from Ward 1 and Ward 2 residents as to whether or not the community wants a new access from Crowchild Trail.
At the end of the day, I really shouldn't care, as this will not affect me at all.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:45 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Check out this winner of a plan for the folks of rocky ridge and royal oak.

Plan is to create a right in from Crowchild trail onto Eamon Road. Check out the details.

http://www.calgary.ca/councillors/wa...ild-Trail.aspx
This is actually a pretty good plan for those residents living at the south end or RRRO.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
This is actually a pretty good plan for those residents living at the south end or RRRO.
Would royally suck for a few of those houses right by the proposed exit though. Front yard a busy entrance into the community and backyard on Crowchild.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 6:43 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
Would royally suck for a few of those houses right by the proposed exit though. Front yard a busy entrance into the community and backyard on Crowchild.
Also true.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 7:08 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought one of the design considerations for the Tuscany station P&R was that there was no direct access from Crowchild and so the parking lot could be relatively small.

This would seem to change that situation somewhat, no?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGibb View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought one of the design considerations for the Tuscany station P&R was that there was no direct access from Crowchild and so the parking lot could be relatively small.

That's true, it would ... IIRC they still want to use Crowfoot as the commuter station and have Tuscany as more of a neighbourhood specific one ... They'd have to enforce parking restrictions in Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak if they want to add direct access from Crowchild

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGibb View Post

Somewhat - I think the idea to limit access from Crowchild would be to limit the 'out of towners' from Cochrane from parking there. I don't think adding this westbound exit would be quite as bad as adding a quick access into Tuscany.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 10:20 PM

Those folks with their big, albeit mostly run down, properties along Eamon Road won't be happy if this goes through. Maybe that will be the impetus for them to sell up and free up the land to be redeveloped!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 PM
Suburban dweller

The Tuscany side of the station has no direct access off Crowchild. The RRRO side of the station will only have an exit off WB Crowchild and no way to get onto Crowchild if I am reading this right. The intent is to keep people from coming from outside the communities of Tuscany and RRRO to use the parking lots and they way it is set up now that should not be an issue.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 7:28 PM
Near Generational

Open Houses for McLeod Trail/162nd Ave Interchange are tonight and Saturday.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 8:05 PM

Given that suburban expansion past Tuscany and Rocky Ridge is constrained by existing acreage development, will there ever be demand to extend the NW line? I could maybe envision a station at 12 Mile Coulee that could service out of town commuters and future development up by Spy Hill.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 3:27 AM

I think the transit next stage in that direction will be a regional rail service from Cochrane along the existing CP right of way.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Open Houses for McLeod Trail/162nd Ave Interchange are tonight and Saturday.

I thought the proposed Diverging Diamond interchange design was novel. Would also serve peds and cyclists well - better than any design with loops involved. Would have to be signed well to control traffic properly as it is such a foreign design to avoid collisions as it could be a bit unnerving driving on the "wrong" side of the bridge if you weren't expecting it as you approach from E/W (thinking night or stormy conditions...)

I hadn't seen this design before and it appears that it could handle traffic fairly well in all directions - though I can't see any time where the flow won't be primarily to/from the north.

It would be really neat to see the city use this design here.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 3:37 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri-Guy View Post
I thought the proposed Diverging Diamond interchange design was novel. Would also serve peds and cyclists well - better than any design with loops involved. Would have to be signed well to control traffic properly as it is such a foreign design to avoid collisions as it could be a bit unnerving driving on the "wrong" side of the bridge if you weren't expecting it as you approach from E/W (thinking night or stormy conditions...)

I hadn't seen this design before and it appears that it could handle traffic fairly well in all directions - though I can't see any time where the flow won't be primarily to/from the north.

It would be really neat to see the city use this design here.
Can you expand on this? From what I can tell I'm not sure this would be any better for peds & cyclists than your typical interchange.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 3:58 PM

I've seen several diverging diamond interchanges in Utah. They improve traffic flow and traffic safety. The impact to pedestrian is neutral.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 4:39 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Speaking of "different" intersection designs, the city has drawn up a Continuous Flow intersection proposal for the Barlow/McKnight intersection.

You can see the plans on the city's website (McKnight Open House Boards)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:09 PM

I believe there was another open house this week for the Flanders Avenue/Crowchild redesign. Anyone go to it?

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Can you expand on this? From what I can tell I'm not sure this would be any better for peds & cyclists than your typical interchange.
The diamond would allow peds to cross roadways at grade - any interchanges with loops coming up from/going down to MacLeod I would assume that pedestrians would be restricted from that side of the road entirely. I am not aware of an area where they would be alowed to cross a section of road such as this, which would be dangerous as traffic would be somewhat high speed - and probably not expecting these to be crossing (esp as they are exiting MacLeod coming from a higher speed). I am making the assumption that rather than build some additional elevated pedway above this traffic, the peds/cyclists would be restricted on this side, and directed across to the other side (north) of the bridge (without the any loops).
Less direct travel, and more more hassles for these type of travellers.

Those are my thoughts.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 10:27 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri-Guy View Post
The diamond would allow peds to cross roadways at grade - any interchanges with loops coming up from/going down to MacLeod I would assume that pedestrians would be restricted from that side of the road entirely. I am not aware of an area where they would be alowed to cross a section of road such as this, which would be dangerous as traffic would be somewhat high speed - and probably not expecting these to be crossing (esp as they are exiting MacLeod coming from a higher speed). I am making the assumption that rather than build some additional elevated pedway above this traffic, the peds/cyclists would be restricted on this side, and directed across to the other side (north) of the bridge (without the any loops).
Less direct travel, and more more hassles for these type of travellers.

Those are my thoughts.
I see, that makes sense. Be interesting what they put in.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure