HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:42 PM

Newsletter that went out to the tower office tenants showing renovations underway. Wing between Wal-Mart and T&T getting new balcony and ceilings. Looks nice.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:21 PM

the wooden edge looks really nice and contemporary. Reminds me a little of Pacific Centre in downtown.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 4:35 AM

^ Yeah it's a big improvement. I expect they will move on to renovating other parts of the mall to look the same once this is done. I overheard rumours a while back that the area around Starbucks is getting a make-over soon.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 6:01 AM

Yes that area by Starbucks really need some makeover. It's like that portion is stuck in the past.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Newsletter that went out to the tower office tenants showing renovations underway. Wing between Wal-Mart and T&T getting new balcony and ceilings. Looks nice.

Going to look great! I imagine Surrey Central Mall is just going to keep getting better with all the condos and planned development around it bringing in more density

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 6:50 PM

^ Lots of potential for expansion and redevelopment, particularly along the side of the mall fronting Holland Park. I could see a new entrance / plaza being created on Old Yale Rd that mirrors the plaza facing Surrey Central. Would open up directly onto Holland Park and create a linkage through the mall between the park and the Central City/City Hall plaza.

I expect the parking lot fronting King George Blvd will be redeveloped into retail, condos, office fronting newly created streets, but be separate from the mall itself. City Parkway will be extended through here to create a retail high street, with the mall fronting one side.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:39 PM

Quote:
^ Lots of potential for expansion and redevelopment, particularly along the side of the mall fronting Holland Park. I could see a new entrance / plaza being created on Old Yale Rd that mirrors the plaza facing Surrey Central. Would open up directly onto Holland Park and create a linkage through the mall between the park and the Central City/City Hall plaza.

I expect the parking lot fronting King George Blvd will be redeveloped into retail, condos, office fronting newly created streets, but be separate from the mall itself. City Parkway will be extended through here to create a retail high street, with the mall fronting one side.
I doubt anything will happen with that in the next decade, what with all the underdeveloped and empty lots north of 104th. They'll do the easier work first.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 4:06 AM

^ Who's they? You realize city centre isn't being developed by a single developer right?

Hard to say when Central City could see any new redevelopment. Just discussing the potential.

South of 104 is likely to fill in faster than North of 104.

Also creating a new entrance on the opposite end of the mall facing Holland Park isn't really a massive redevelopment. Those big box stores that were put in along that side in the 2000's could reasonably have a new entrance punched through them, and the retail space reconfigured.

You're right though, it's unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future, if at all. But it should. It all starts with someone having a little bit of vision.

Last edited by Shift; Oct 19, 2016 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 5:31 PM

You really need to calm down - whenever someone says anything that could be construed as not-glowing-praise of Surrey you become defensive and lash out. All I said is that developers (plural - I'm well aware there's more than one) will build on the easier sites before the more difficult ones. That's true everywhere.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You really need to calm down - whenever someone says anything that could be construed as not-glowing-praise of Surrey you become defensive and lash out. All I said is that developers (plural - I'm well aware there's more than one) will build on the easier sites before the more difficult ones. That's true everywhere.
Surprised his reply affected you so much...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 6:10 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
^ Who's they? You realize city centre isn't being developed by a single developer right?

Hard to say when Central City could see any new redevelopment. Just discussing the potential.

South of 104 is likely to fill in faster than North of 104.

Also creating a new entrance on the opposite end of the mall facing Holland Park isn't really a massive redevelopment. Those big box stores that were put in along that side in the 2000's could reasonably have a new entrance punched through them, and the retail space reconfigured.

You're right though, it's unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future, if at all. But it should. It all starts with someone having a little bit of vision.
From what I was told recently, Blackwood seems to be totally content to just keep it all as it. The boat was missed to totally redesign the mall and add underground parking 16 years ago. No idea why they opted to go for an above ground parkade.

Then again, the mall seems to lack any real direction. Similar to Lansdowne in many ways while Guildford continues to be the mall of choice for Surrey.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 4:46 AM

id the best buy still empty or is it a halloween store for now?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
From what I was told recently, Blackwood seems to be totally content to just keep it all as it. The boat was missed to totally redesign the mall and add underground parking 16 years ago. No idea why they opted to go for an above ground parkade.

Then again, the mall seems to lack any real direction. Similar to Lansdowne in many ways while Guildford continues to be the mall of choice for Surrey.
Actually Blackwood has made an effort in the past few years to improve the mall. They re-did all the signage a few years ago, introducing a new Central City logo/font and improved signage materials. This included changing the signage on top of the tower and signs throughout the mall. They are now in the process of upgrading the rest of the interior with a cohesive contemporary look (in case you missed my post above). They upgraded the entrance facing King George Blvd last year to look similar to the Atrium entrance on 102 Avenue. Seems like they have a bit of direction.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
id the best buy still empty or is it a halloween store for now?
Halloween store until Halloween. Then it will probably go on lease again.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post

I do agree... Guildford is a really nice mall and IMO one of the best in the Lower Mainland. I feel that one of the things that really hold back Central City is the food court. It feels small and cramped. And if the mall does expand, I hope that they take a page out of the Guildford mall's books and add a really good foodcourt.

Another thing that the Guildford mall does is really anchor the neighbourhood well. You have chain restaurants nearby (like Milestones) and small businesses across the street that really make Guildford a very decent shopping district in comparison to downtown Vancouver and Metrotown.

Last edited by scryer; Oct 21, 2016 at 8:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 4:08 AM

It's just a matter of time for Surrey Central.

As density around it grows, the mall will evolve with it as well. I think? Pure speculation.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpot View Post
It's just a matter of time for Surrey Central.

As density around it grows, the mall will evolve with it as well. I think? Pure speculation.
The.mall is a reflection of the community that surrounds it, as the demographics changes so does the mall. Two key events to watch in the near future will be the opening of the Marriott Hotel as well as the development of the LRT linking much of the rest of Surrey with Surrey Central itself. The expansion of SFU, the new Kwantlen campus and people moving into the newly built towers will all play a part in the changing character of the mall and other services and retail in the area. The comparison to Guildford is deeply misguided, as mega malls have a tendency to suck the street life out of a community, ie Metrotown.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 5:55 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 6:03 AM

i was there before christmas, it was quite busy. The one entrance, the upper one to walmart has been closed off so that end of the mall feels really dead, i think an urban planet kids was going to open in one of the spots there. The starbucks was extremely busy. OVerall it was pretty busy and the selection of stores seems to be ok compared to 5 years ago when i probably was last really in there.

Guildford is getting a uniqlo in the spring! I don't think a lot of stores would open a location ay central city if they are already in guildford, it's just too close. And most of the spots seemed to be filled. well they did close of that one corridor, if you look you can still see store fronts and stuff in there. I guess if the demand for spaces is back they can reuse it or rearrange it for a tenant.

But it seems more of a budget working class, students kind of mall based on the store selection.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i was there before christmas, it was quite busy. The one entrance, the upper one to walmart has been closed off so that end of the mall feels really dead, i think an urban planet kids was going to open in one of the spots there. The starbucks was extremely busy. OVerall it was pretty busy and the selection of stores seems to be ok compared to 5 years ago when i probably was last really in there.

Guildford is getting a uniqlo in the spring! I don't think a lot of stores would open a location ay central city if they are already in guildford, it's just too close. And most of the spots seemed to be filled. well they did close of that one corridor, if you look you can still see store fronts and stuff in there. I guess if the demand for spaces is back they can reuse it or rearrange it for a tenant.

But it seems more of a budget working class, students kind of mall based on the store selection.
This is what I believe as well. Guildford is literally a 5 minute drive away with no traffic and about a 8 min drive away with some traffic. They should just add in stores that guildford doesn't have to the mall.

Zara
Lululemon
Banana Republic
Armani Exchange
Indochino
Tommy Hilfiger
Helly Hanson
Top Man
Champs (Much needed considering the only sports apparel store in the mall is Footlocker)
MEC?

Last edited by Nites; Jan 14, 2018 at 8:56 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley