HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Metrotower III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 12:34 AM

... and its official - Metro Vancouver bought Metrotower III:

Metro Vancouver buys $205 million tower for new head office

http://www.cknw.com/2015/12/17/metro...-headquarters/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 10:35 PM

Looking good today.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:40 AM

Recent photos of the area.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 1:53 AM

Shrouded in the morning mist.

Daybreak in Metrotown.

Last edited by Klazu; Nov 20, 2016 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Metrotower III in Burnaby still has only 6 out of 25 floors occupied. It's incredible how badly they managed to anticipate the demand with that tower. Different location for sure, but still... It is not easy to fill a whole tower, it seems.
Not to get off topic but Metrotower III was sold last year to Metro Vancouver. They occupy about half the building.
I remember that, but have they moved in. All I know as a neighbour is that the building only has lights on 6 floors every day and all other floors have the curtains completely down. Seems unoccupied still.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 8:52 PM

On a rainy morning.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 9:27 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
I remember that, but have they moved in. All I know as a neighbour is that the building only has lights on 6 floors every day and all other floors have the curtains completely down. Seems unoccupied still.
Metro Vancouver bought the building. They'll be moving in September and filling the majority of the building.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 9:43 PM

September...2017? It's almost December.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 10:19 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
September...2017? It's almost December.
Thats what some people I know at MV have said. MAybe some departments will move sooner.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 12:07 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Metro Vancouver bought the building. They'll be moving in September and filling the majority of the building.
What do you mean Metro Vancouver "bought" the building? Did they actually buy the entire building (i.e. take ownership) or just long term lease?

I did not know Metro Vancouver has the funds to actually buy commercial real estate, especially really pricey ones such as these.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
What do you mean Metro Vancouver "bought" the building? Did they actually buy the entire building (i.e. take ownership) or just long term lease?

I did not know Metro Vancouver has the funds to actually buy commercial real estate, especially really pricey ones such as these.

No, they actually bought bought it (i.e, own it)

Ivanhoe Cambridge (previous owners and owners of MetroTowers 1 and 2 along with the entire mall) still own the land as landlords I believe, but the building is Metro Vancouver's.

The plan was for them to occupy 12 floors and lease out the rest, and moving in was supposed to be a year long (or so) proposal, so probably not until mid next year or Fall next year before they fully take residence there.

As to the funds to actually buy it, there was a bit of a debate as to whether this was prudent, but it turns out they were looking at spending almost as much, if not more in maintenance and upkeep of their current location further down on Kingsway - a building built in the 70's or 80's , I believe - over the next 20 years, and so the decision came down to just buy-to-own a new location and to properly fit it out to serve their needs (and I guess, make some money on the side renting out the floors they don't need to businesses and offices).

Their current building location ( I think it's the gold office towers) will likely be bought out and redeveloped in the new future, anyway, as it's part of the 1980's designed office towers and lowrises along Kingsway.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 2:14 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post

Their current building location ( I think it's the gold office towers) will likely be bought out and redeveloped in the new future, anyway, as it's part of the 1980's designed office towers and lowrises along Kingsway.
I really hope those gold towers never get redeveloped. While dated looking and in need of freshening up, the towers and their plaza are a cohesive development and have a good pedestrian realm. They were the landmark towers in the area for decades and they still stand out from the crowd of newer grey monotonous condos.

It's really the Landmark hotel debate all over again. Sooner or later, they will be missed and written about after being redeveloped.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
I really hope those gold towers never get redeveloped. While dated looking and in need of freshening up, the towers and their plaza are a cohesive development and have a good pedestrian realm. They were the landmark towers in the area for decades and they still stand out from the crowd of newer grey monotonous condos.

It's really the Landmark hotel debate all over again. Sooner or later, they will be missed and written about after being redeveloped.
Agree 100 percent. They add some color and variety to the area and have decent form / interaction with the area.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:49 AM

Quote:
All I know as a neighbour is that the building only has lights on 6 floors every day and all other floors have the curtains completely down. Seems unoccupied still.
Only few days after writing this, they pulled up the curtains on five top floors and have also been keeping the lights on. All floors are completely bare, but they are clearly starting to prepare for an upcoming move.

So the move-in is clearly going to happen, as suggested, but it may take a while before the whole building is occupied. Nonetheless great to see some action in the building.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 5:09 AM

Metrotower at the end of last year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley