HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 5:34 AM

Truckee, Downieville and a trip home

The Sierra Nevada Mountains run along the eastern California border and effectively create the deserts of Nevada as they wring all the moisture out of most storms that pass through. I grew up in the Sierra foothills and spent my youth hiking, camping, and swimming in lakes and rivers there. Bored on Saturday, I recently decided to get on Highway 80 in Oakland and head up to the mountains. In three hours I was in Truckee and, after a walk though downtown, took highway 89 to 49 through Sierra County and ended up in Grass Valley/Nevada City to have dinner with one of my best friends.

Truckee (pop 16,180), biggest city in Nevada County

What is most disturbing about these pictures are the mountains in the distance. Truckee is at an elevation of 5,800 ft and this is April. There is almost NO snow on the peaks, a really scary reflection of our very dry winter. If you'd like to see Truckee in the snow, see a thread I did here.

The Truckee River, draining Lake Tahoe through Reno to Pyramid Lake

Heading out highway 89 north, entering Sierra County

This high elevation valley was dead silent, unbelievable I was in the Bay Area half a day earlier

The Sierra Buttes at Sardine Lake, often this is inaccessible well into May

Sierra City (pop 221)

Downieville (pop 282), remarkably, the seat of Sierra County. Most of these were actually taken in Fall 2012 with a few this Spring.

Sierra County Courthouse

All ready for winter!

North San Juan, a small community back in Nevada County

Nevada City (pop 3,068), seat of Nevada County

Nevada County Courthouse

My place of birth, Grass Valley (pop 12,860)

The End
Tour of California 1: Los Angeles, 2: Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, 3: Riverside, Santa Ana, Long Beach, 4: San Jose, 5: San Diego, 6: Fresno, 7: Stockton, Modesto, 8: Gold Country, 9: Eureka, Arcata, 10: Monterey, Carmel, 11: Santa Cruz, 12: Sacramento Pt One, 13: Sacramento Pt Two, 14: Roseville & Folsom, 15: Concord & Walnut Creek, 16: Tri-Valley, 17: Berkeley, Emeryville, 18: Fremont, 19: Santa Clara, Mountain View, Palo Alto, 20: Redwood City, Foster City, San Mateo, 21: Oakland, 22: Benicia, Vallejo, 23: Napa, St. Helena, 24: Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sonoma, 25: San Rafael, 26: Larkspur, Mill Valley, 27: Sausalito, Tiburon, 28: Hollister, San Juan Bautista, 29: Long Beach 2008, 30: Venice, 31: Santa Monica, 32: Sacramento Pt 3, 33: Solvang, 34: Alameda, 35: Knights Ferry, 36: California Zephyr, 37: Colfax, 38: Davis, 39: Oakdale, 40: San Francisco Pt 1, San Francisco Pt 2, 41: Chico, Redding, 42: Kings Beach, 43: Merced, 44: Gold Country pt 2, 45: Gold Country pt 3, 46: Sonora, 47: Vacaville, Fairfield, Suisun City, 48: Orange, Fullerton, 49: Anaheim, Irvine, 50: Newport Beach, Laguna Beach,51: San Francisco, Pt 3, 52: Lodi, 53: Martinez, 54: Ft Bragg, Mendocino, 55: San Luis Obispo, 56: Sacramento River Pt 1, 57: Sacramento River Pt 2, 58: Lake Merritt/Oakland, 59: Marysville/Yuba City, 60: Woodland, 61: Beverly Hills"62: Los Angeles, 63: Sacramento, 64: Lakeport, 65: South Lake Tahoe, 66: Salinas, Watsonville, 67: Pacific Grove. 68: Winters/Willows, 69: Red Bluff, 70: Redding, 71: Weaverville, 72: Yreka/Weed/Mt Shasta, 73: Mt. Lassen/Susanville, 74: Quincy, 75: Oroville, 76: Avalon, 77: Mariposa/Yosemite, 78:Markleeville, 79: East Bay (Contra Costa Co), 80: East Bay (Alameda Co), 81: Oakland Revisited, 82: Silicon Valley, 83: San Jose

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:24 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very pretty tour and pictures!

I´ve enjoyed watching those towns and villages around Sierra Nevada. I´m sorry about the drought, and I hope Spring bring there more rain and humidity. Those woods and mountains are very nice. You was born in a lovely area of California.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 8:51 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Love, love, love the Gold Country. Great pics.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:43 PM

Amazing stuff. Its weird to say this, but i always feel at home in the sierra. Ive been hiking, camping, snowboarding and driven through a lot of it and i just love it. its so damn beautiful

This dry year has me worried though. i dont want half the state to be burning this year

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 11:37 PM

Real sweet. Truckee sounds like a place Merle Haggard would have written a song about.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:34 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Very cool tour!

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 4:49 AM

Great pictures! I love the mountain towns!

I was just thinking last week that we haven't had a photothread from you in a while. Glad that you're back on track!

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 6:17 AM

Thanks for the comments! Indeed, the Sierras are a California treasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Great pictures! I love the mountain towns!

I was just thinking last week that we haven't had a photothread from you in a while. Glad that you're back on track!
Thanks! Yes, I haven't been on as much as I'd like with work and, as a result, I have a ton of photos in backlog. Hopefully I will have posting a few more. Definitely miss checking out what everyone has to showcase!

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:42 PM
Stuck in the Suburbs

I'm now regretting not going out that way when I was in California last summer.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 12:06 AM

This is just lovely:

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 10:31 PM

I'm in a California state of mine right now. I missed this thread when it was originally posted last spring. Nice to see these great little mountain communities!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 10:59 PM
BANNED

So THATs what truckee looks like when it's not buried in snow. I was in truckee a couple of weeks ago arriving just as a snowstorm came through. After the storm cleared an arctic air mass settled in sending temps into -10s.

The gold country is a California gem, an expansive area of winding coniferous mountain highways full of streams and dotted with charming old west towns particularly along CA-49. I missed this thread too I'm glad someone documented some of the lovely scenes this way. Great thread.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos