HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:14 PM

A friend just posted a photo of the eye lounge building being demolished. I haven't been paying enough attention, does anyone know why this is happening? Another Vento deal?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
A friend just posted a photo of the eye lounge building being demolished. I haven't been paying enough attention, does anyone know why this is happening? Another Vento deal?
Isn't it being renovated as part of the Greenwood Brewery? Maybe just the front is being opened up for new old-style larger windows?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:35 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Isn't it being renovated as part of the Greenwood Brewery? Maybe just the front is being opened up for new old-style larger windows?
Yes, that's exactly what's going one. Ben Bell's and the Eye Lounge relocated to the old Revolver Records space. The brewery will then take over the building.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The current renovation at Fashion Square is adding office space, more restaurants, hospitality, and a hotel and condos. They cut into the retail space to add all that. I shop at Fashion Square a lot and have been watching this project since the beginning. The retail square footage has shrunk. This article sums it up nicely, retail space is shrinking because the retail market is not what it once was. Malls are shifting to uses other than retail space. Scottsdale Fashion Square is a great example. This is absolute fact: leasing retail space is getting harder and harder.

Macerich Brings Wonderspaces to Scottsdale Fashion Square
Zacks Equity Research December 14, 2018

https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/342...fashion-square

The Macerich Company (MAC - Free Report) announced that Wonderspaces will open its first permanent location at the company’s retail and dining hub, Scottsdale Fashion Square.

Particularly, Wonderspaces will lease 16,000 square feet of space to showcase a series of ticketed art shows by associating with global artists. It expects to organize three shows annually at Scottsdale Fashion Square, starting in early 2019.

As this aims to present artwork to new audiences, it will likely drive mall traffic at the retail destination. In fact, Wonderspaces drew more than 60,000 and 100,000 visitors in 2017 and 2018, respectively.

Per Macerich management, Wonderspaces choice for permanent location is an apt fit for both companies. The mall’s strategic location in the affluent area in Arizona will enable Wonderspaces to attract targeted visitors.

Further, it will boost the mall’s tenant roster by adding another first-to-market tenant. The company has been making efforts to rejig the premier shopping and dining destination. In November, the company took the wraps off the luxury wing of Scottsdale Fashion Square, after the hub received a face-lift for more than a year.

The wing is well merchandised with reputed brands, including Dillards, Neiman Marcus, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vuitton and Gucci, making it the ultimate luxury shopping destination.

Admittedly, shrinking mall traffic, store closures and retailer bankruptcies, amid aggressive growth in online sales, have kept retail REITs, including Macerich and others like Kimco Realty Corp. (KIM - Free Report) , Federal Realty Investment Trust (FRT - Free Report) , Taubman Centers, Inc. (TCO - Free Report) , on tenterhooks. In addition, tenants are demanding substantial lease concessions due to a choppy retail real estate market scenario.

This dominance of e-commerce and online retail sales has compelled mall landlords to explore unique uses for their retail spaces. Amid this, Macerich’s efforts to enhance the productivity of malls, by trying to grab attention from new and productive tenants are aimed at boosting mall traffic and driving sales.

Nonetheless, implementation of such measures requires a decent upfront cost and hence, would drag the company’s near-term profit margin.

Macerich currently has a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold). The company’s shares have declined 14.4% in the past six months compared to the industry’s loss of 2.4%. You can see the complete list of today’s Zacks #1 Rank (Strong Buy) stocks here.
That article states NOTHING about restructuring retail space at this mall - I too shop at Fashion Square regularly and again I ask you - tell me where retail has been REPLACED with office/restaurant aside from one or two locations? All the main retail boutique wings of this mall are still just that - retail. The Dillards/Neiman Marcus wing has ALWAYS ended where it does and has been extensively remodelled but there is no office there - they are adding additional square feet to bring in offices and residential/hotel components but are not replacing any retail - even anchors - to do so.

I read your article and it does NOT indicate what I asked you - which is WHERE in this mall you are so familiar with has retail square footage SHRUNK and been replaced with non-retail uses? ? ? You have not named any.

Let's move through the various "wings" of the mall - I have already addressed the western Neimans/Dillards wing. The southern Nordstrom wing has seen no conversion of retail space. There have always been restaurants on the ground level of this section of the mall near the main valet station so I don't see it there. The eastern old Robinson's May wing was VASTLY expanded a long time ago extending it all the way to Scottsdale Road - sure, Barney's closed but was replaced by the new Apple Store.

Now they are expanding the mall Northward on the "P2" lot shown in the image above - again, replacing the parking lots . . . not existing retail.

What you have claimed is generally true with malls and factually incorrect with THIS mall.

The bold part of your article you shared has nothing to do with this - it is a generalized statement on the current state of retail in malls as a whole - NOT for Scottsdale Fashion Square.

The article is from December 2018 - retail has only grown at Fashion Square since. Sure they are adding non-retail features but shopping is still the major draw.

Why are YOU going there? lol

ALSO - office is nothing new at this mall -there is a already a 10 story office building right on camelback literally attached to the mall. . . .

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:32 PM

Some people just HAVE to be "right" haha

Come on.

I'd like to see Biggus try and get some substantial lease concessions from the managers of Fashion Square lol - yeah, you can get a kiosk down the hall by the toilet!

There is a reason Louis Vuitton, Bottega Veneta, Cartier, Gucci, Prada, Jimmy Choo, Escada, Neiman Marcus etc are all there. It's not cause it's a struggling center in its decline, offering leasing concessions. haha.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:26 PM
self-important urbanista

Interrupting the bickering to note that the former Brooks Brothers space at Biltmore already has a new tenant: DaVinci Luxe, Designer for Men. Apparently, the store has another location at Kierland Commons. The store isn’t open for business yet, but there are some window displays. Judging by what the mannequins were wearing, it looks like a place for more contemporary European styles, rather than the classic American vibe at Brooks Brothers. It will be interesting to see how this store will coexist or compete with the long-established Clotherie, which is nearby.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:17 PM

My dad is very much into Brooks Brothers, I am very more contemporary Euro Trash myself!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:40 PM

"European styles" This just means to me pants that are too tight in the thigh.

And before you assume im some huge fatty I have very muscular legs, Fawd can attest

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

And before you assume im some huge fatty I have very muscular legs, Fawd can attest

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:52 PM
Skyriser

Pics or GTFO.

/s

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
"I have very muscular legs, Fawd can attest
I don't really even wanna know what that means

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:30 PM
self-important urbanista

This video says it all, both in lyrics and looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Vun2LYnoY

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:

My quads are very muscular as well! Nice we share the same issues with clothing!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 5:26 PM

Gotta love those muscular quads.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Gotta love those muscular quads.
There are limitless websites to get what you are looking for.

I had no idea this board was so full of degenerates. Actually scratch that, Its not surprising at all.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
There are limitless websites to get what you are looking for.

I had no idea this board was so full of degenerates. Actually scratch that, Its not surprising at all.
I'm pretty sure you feel right at home

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 2:55 PM

Metro-to-Metro Migration: Which US Metro Areas Are Winning?

Quote:
More than 45 million Americans changed residences between 2017 and 2018, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates. This means that more than 14% of the total U.S. population moved in the course of a single year. Migration has been a defining characteristic of Americans since the frontier expansion; nowadays, Americans move more often than most other people in the world.

Many of the shifts in population within U.S. borders can be attributed to residents moving from one Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) to another. To see which metros are the most popular destinations, we analyzed net population gains through metro-to-metro migration for U.S. cities and their respective MSAs. We used U.S. Census estimates for 2013-2017, the latest data released as of August 2019.

Overall, our study found that the Sun Belt is an attractive area for inter-metro migration. Tech hubs are also a step ahead when it comes to drawing prospective residents. Take a look at the chart below to see which metros drew the most residents per year through metro-to-metro migration and read on to find out more about each individual metro

More here: https://www.commercialcafe.com/blog/...areas-winning/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 4:35 PM

A Development Boom Aims To Transform Downtown Phoenix Into An Urban Mecca

Forbe's story on the Downtown Phoenix boom...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendar.../#212fdb8f1139

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 4:56 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Forbe's story on the Downtown Phoenix boom...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendar.../#212fdb8f1139
Quote:
As of September, the downtown population is 13,500, a 56% increase in five years. The population is expected to increase by 10,000 to 11,000 by the end of 2022 based on the number of downtown residential units under construction and in the permit review stage.
Best part of the entire article. Bring on more residential development!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest