HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:41 PM

Tower 8 is most likely to delay until 2nd quarter. There are still some design related items that are being worked through.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
You mean the only decent place to park on campus for hundreds of people?
Yes

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:17 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I’ve got to say. I don’t think the Vivint Arena renovation was worth what it has costed jazz fans... it hit a little bit last year, but much more so this year.

- The cost of concessions have gone up while the quality has gone down. They replaced papa johns with little Caesar’s, witch is gross. The cost of beer went from 9.50 last year to 11.50 this year or 12.50 if you get a can. I’ve seen it go up 50¢ before but 2-3 dollars?

- The use to give away jazz related stuff when you enter the building. They don’t do that anymore.

- Halftime shows are pretty much non existent. A couple of years ago they had a lot of really cool halftime shows. Last year they seem to reserve them for only the most high profile games. I can’t really think of one this year.

- I’m not sure the reason that they fired the old jazz bear, but at this point I’m starting to think that they probably didn’t want to pay him what he was worth... The new one just isn’t the same and has less presence.

- The glass that they put around the upper bowl just sucks. At least they listened to all the complaints and shortened it a little bit.

- It seems like they have less Ussers and janitorial staff.

- last year‘s rate increases for season tickets were a little bit scary... next year is just insane. My grandparents have had season passes for years... they wanted to raise the price on them over $2000 for next season. That is just crazy, especially for loyal ticket holders... pretty much everybody that I know who has season tickets is not renewing them next year.

The new seats are nice, but overall a much more enjoy the experience before they renovated vision... not really worth it in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:22 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone know the story behind the house that they built on the east side of third W. between fourth and fifth and North? It looks like something the pioneers would’ve built. It looks a lot like the log cabin next to the LDS church history Museum... from what I can tell it kind of looks like somebody is living in it... it’s very small and an interesting choice of architecture. I was just kind of curious if it had a story. It also looks like they’ve been renovating that brick building across the street on fourth north that’s been boarded up for about as long as I can remember. It’s nice to see the building with windows. Hopefully they put something cool in there. It seems similar to what they’ve done with all the old op skags and ez mart... ez mart seems to have stalled though.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyJenkins View Post
Tower 8 is most likely to delay until 2nd quarter. There are still some design related items that are being worked through.
Source for this info? And what design related items? I don't see why they would already have the covered walkways ready to deploy if it was going to take 3 more months for construction to start.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 7:29 PM

/\/\/\ I believe they are getting ready to begin site prep and excavation, but construction documents for the rest of the building are still being finalized. For City Creek Center, the construction was permitted in phases. We sent in permit documents for demolition, excavation, and shoring before the structural permit documents, which would be next. Then the core and shell architectural & MEP permit documents would follow.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I’ve got to say. I don’t think the Vivint Arena renovation was worth what it has costed jazz fans... it hit a little bit last year, but much more so this year.

- The cost of concessions have gone up while the quality has gone down. They replaced papa johns with little Caesar’s, witch is gross. The cost of beer went from 9.50 last year to 11.50 this year or 12.50 if you get a can. I’ve seen it go up 50¢ before but 2-3 dollars?

- The use to give away jazz related stuff when you enter the building. They don’t do that anymore.

- Halftime shows are pretty much non existent. A couple of years ago they had a lot of really cool halftime shows. Last year they seem to reserve them for only the most high profile games. I can’t really think of one this year.

- I’m not sure the reason that they fired the old jazz bear, but at this point I’m starting to think that they probably didn’t want to pay him what he was worth... The new one just isn’t the same and has less presence.

- The glass that they put around the upper bowl just sucks. At least they listened to all the complaints and shortened it a little bit.

- It seems like they have less Ussers and janitorial staff.

- last year‘s rate increases for season tickets were a little bit scary... next year is just insane. My grandparents have had season passes for years... they wanted to raise the price on them over $2000 for next season. That is just crazy, especially for loyal ticket holders... pretty much everybody that I know who has season tickets is not renewing them next year.

The new seats are nice, but overall a much more enjoy the experience before they renovated vision... not really worth it in my opinion.
Papa Johns was a sponsor the Jazz dumped them afyer racist remarks by Papa John himself. Little ceasars stepped in.

The costs have gone up not because of the renovation but because people will pay it. The renovation was barely more than the yearly player salary cap(about 50% basketball related income)and less than what some teams are currently paying.

The Jazz ticket prices have remained fairly low compared to much of the nba but now they have a DPOY and a young superstar in the making. That's why ticket prices are going up right now. Because the market will pay the higher prices and still fill the arena.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Here are some renderings of Tower 8 uploaded yesterday. More or less what we've seen before. Also from the narrative looks like they are potentially naming it 95 South State.

Photo bump

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 9:29 PM
Ironweed

It's another squat outfit, but in this town it is much better than nothing. They should have used the phrase: " Downtown Rising.............Very Slowly, and very short."

Last edited by Ironweed; Jan 20, 2019 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 11:51 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Does anyone know the story behind the house that they built on the east side of third W. between fourth and fifth and North? It looks like something the pioneers would’ve built. It looks a lot like the log cabin next to the LDS church history Museum... from what I can tell it kind of looks like somebody is living in it... it’s very small and an interesting choice of architecture. I was just kind of curious if it had a story. It also looks like they’ve been renovating that brick building across the street on fourth north that’s been boarded up for about as long as I can remember. It’s nice to see the building with windows. Hopefully they put something cool in there. It seems similar to what they’ve done with all the old op skags and ez mart... ez mart seems to have stalled though.
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/HLC/2017/258.pdf

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/HLC/2017/258.pdf
I don't have any information about it, but it's definitely not that, it is new construction, you can see on google maps that it's been constructed recently.

2016:

2018:

The cabin sits on the same parcel as the home to its south:

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:09 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I don't have any information about it, but it's definitely not that, it is new construction, you can see on google maps that it's been constructed recently.

2016:

2018:

The cabin sits on the same parcel as the home to its south:
That’s the one... was just curious the story behind it.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:50 PM

I did some drawings for that cabin a long time ago, but not sure about it's history only that it's listed as a historic building.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
That’s the one... was just curious the story behind it.
It's the William Hawk Cabin. I used to receive a Capitol Hill newsletter that included more info. Can't find it at the moment so... link to wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hawk_Cabin

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:22 AM
They all float down here

It used to be a brothel.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
/\/\/\ I believe they are getting ready to begin site prep and excavation, but construction documents for the rest of the building are still being finalized. For City Creek Center, the construction was permitted in phases. We sent in permit documents for demolition, excavation, and shoring before the structural permit documents, which would be next. Then the core and shell architectural & MEP permit documents would follow.
I just wonder if he means "Tower 8 has been delayed to the 2nd quarter" means that excavation won't begin until then, or actual construction of the building? When a building is planned to begin in "Q1" or whatever, doesn't that include the excavation period? Am I wrong about that?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I just wonder if he means "Tower 8 has been delayed to the 2nd quarter" means that excavation won't begin until then, or actual construction of the building? When a building is planned to begin in "Q1" or whatever, doesn't that include the excavation period? Am I wrong about that?
Correct the excavation/shoring won't begin until 2nd quarter. We are involved on the excavation/shoring of the project but have not been formally released to complete a design, order materials or proceed which means it likely won't begin until 2nd quarter.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:25 PM

Great work today FutureMayor

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 12:36 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguisize View Post

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguisize View Post
Please explain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West