HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 11:50 PM

I guess CYOW is no longer in the running for Best Airport in the World for the 2–5 million passengers category.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:50 PM

Porter closed it lounge this past weekend at YOW.

Not sure if it was a Porter decision (my guess) or the airport wanted the space.
Maybe their "rent" was not worth it anymore.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
I had a look at AC’s developing summer schedule and in addition to what was already pointed out about how it appears 1x daily YYC frequency is moving over to YVR, here’s what’s currently showing up:
-MCO is showing as all A319 this summer
-YQB will stay at 2x this summer on DH1s. For the past probably 10 years, it’s been 1x in summer.
-YUL only sees 7x with 1x DH1 and E90 and the rest are on Q400s/CR9s.
-Rapidair is showing as 17x on weekdays with 1x 763, 6x 320 and the rest on E90s. On Saturdays there’s 1 MAX and 2 on Sundays.
-YXU is getting upgauged from 2x DH1 to 1x DH3 and 1x CRJ. The last time YOW-YXU saw jet service was probably around 1988. What’s odd is ex-YOW there are two afternoon departures at 1500 (CR1) and 1940 (DH3) with no morning nonstop. ex-YXU’s schedule makes sense with 0610 (DH3) and 1700 (CRJ) departure times).
-YOW-YFC moves to a morning departure at 0905 on the DH3 (was a CRJ last summer, so no capacity change there).

So the DH3 is flying YXU-YOW-YFC-YOW (on ground from 1313 to 1940)-YXU. There’s an almost 6.5 hour gap for this aircraft. Either a DH3 frequency to YUL is missing that will rotate DH3s, or AC are soon going to announce a new route for YOW. A YQG, YSB or YSJ turn are all possible with that gap, as is an extra daily to YFC, YQM or YYG. Windsor seems most likely given AC added YUL-YQG last year and fits perfectly with 30-45 minute turns at either end. A new route on AC at YOW hasn’t happened in eons.

Overall though, AC capacity this summer is looking like it will be down slightly over 2018 thanks to less YUL frequency and much less YYC capacity...unless a 321 or two appears eventually as more of the schedule gets loaded.
So I checked YUL-YOW to try and figure out the DH3 situation. YUL-YOW is quite different to YOW-YUL and is showing at 8x vs 7x in the other direction.

YUL-YOW (YOW arrival times & aircraft type)
0842 CR9
1415 E90
1523 DH1
1642 Q400
1844 E90
1857 DH4
2037 DH4
2146 DH3

YOW-YUL (YOW departure times & aircraft type)
0545 DH4
0815 DH1
1130 DH4
1425 CR9
1645 E90
1725 DH4
1900 DH4

So as can be seen, the current aircraft mix on YUL-YOW is 1x DH1, 1x DH3, 2x DH4, 1x CR9 and 2x E90 versus YOW-YUL's 1x DH1, 0x DH3. 4x DH4, 1x CR9 and 1x E90.

As can be seen, the aircraft types and frequencies don't add up at this point.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:40 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post

Not sure if it was a Porter decision (my guess) or the airport wanted the space.

That's a pretty honest sounding assessment of the situation.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:

Would not be surprised to see the space converted to a common-use lounge. WS partners with these types of lounges in other airports.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:11 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Maybe one of those AMEX lounges or similar.

I could also see the airport wanting to divide that space into several smaller retail outlets.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:52 AM

I saw the following image on Airliners.net & Twitter regarding possible Air Canada A220 routes for when they receive that aircraft starting in 2020.

As I expected, they don't list any "possible new routes" from YOW, but they do have YYT and YWG in red (meaning current routes) which I would be happy about. If YYT can go year-round and YWG can go back to mainline, that would be a positive in my opinion.

and thread link for the curious.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:32 AM

Quote:
I saw the following image on Airliners.net & Twitter regarding possible Air Canada A220 routes for when they receive that aircraft starting in 2020.

As I expected, they don't list any "possible new routes" from YOW, but they do have YYT and YWG in red (meaning current routes) which I would be happy about. If YYT can go year-round and YWG can go back to mainline, that would be a positive in my opinion.

and thread link for the curious.
Nice to see that it’s highly probable that YWG will return to mainline in the next 2-3 years. As for YYT, that’s not surprising. Pretty much any current E90 route is likely going to see the 220. Would be nice to see YYT go year-round again, but I’m doubtful unless PD returns to YYT on a year-round basis.

YOW stands to gain quite a bit of new capacity with the 220, even if frequency is unchanged given how many E90s visit YOW each day. Maybe YWG could free up some CR9 flying so that YXE and YQR could become Independent nonstops again instead of the triangle routing since the reduction of the E90 fleet from 45 to 25.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Maybe one of those AMEX lounges or similar.

I could also see the airport wanting to divide that space into several smaller retail outlets.
AMEX doesn't have any lounges in a city or airport as small as Ottawa/YOW.

https://thecenturionlounge.com/

Heck, it really sucks that all we get is Plaza Premium/Swissport lounges in Canada. And it really sucks that Ottawa doesn't even have this. Perhaps, a function of AC being so dominant at YOW. Nobody else can make a business case for a lounge here. I hope that changes. Would be nice to get something at YOW out of my Amex Plat.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quebec City has a so-called "VIP" lounge to which access is granted for AMEX plat cardholders.

The only way another lounge opens will be on a cost-sharing/partnership basis. I'm dreaming of a lounge in the TB area...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:

It's nice to see that AC will provide more direct mainline flights.

My secret hope is that Delta mainlines YOW with its A220s someday. Switch LGA to JFK and be able to connect there. Would be fantastic. DTW sucks for anything but midwest or West Coast US travel.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Quebec City has a so-called "VIP" lounge to which access is granted for AMEX plat cardholders.
I suspect that QC gets enough American Plat cardholders as tourists to justify this. Ottawa, not so much.

Quote:
The only way another lounge opens will be on a cost-sharing/partnership basis. I'm dreaming of a lounge in the TB area...
Plaza Premium or Swissport could open a lounge here if they had assured revenue from Westjet, Porter and a credit card company. They've opened them in Edmonton and Winnipeg. Speaks volumes that they haven't done it in Ottawa so far. Either YOW management sucks or AC is so dominant that the lounge operators don't see a real business case.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I suspect that QC gets enough American Plat cardholders as tourists to justify this. Ottawa, not so much.

Plaza Premium or Swissport could open a lounge here if they had assured revenue from Westjet, Porter and a credit card company. They've opened them in Edmonton and Winnipeg. Speaks volumes that they haven't done it in Ottawa so far. Either YOW management sucks or AC is so dominant that the lounge operators don't see a real business case.
Well YQB doesn't have a Maple Leaf Lounge, so it's a catch-all for them. YOW briefly had an independent lounge circa 2006, but it was in the completely wrong location. It was located landside instead of airside and only lasted about 6 months as a result.

Now that Porter's former lounge space is vacant that a) opens up a prime spot for a lounge and b) makes an independent lounge much more sustainable as what PD passenger would have used anything but the PD lounge up until last week?

Quote:

According to AC's website, if you're flying TB out of YOW on AC (assuming UA too), you can access the MLL, I guess if you're willing to clear security twice before preclearing US customs.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...!lounge@ottawa

Last edited by Dominion301; Jan 17, 2019 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 7:55 PM

Saw this on FlightRadar24 and took a look at the history...it's done two of these runs in the past 10 days or so. Does anyone know why?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...529Z/BIKF/CYOW

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
According to AC's website, if you're flying TB out of YOW on AC (assuming UA too), you can access the MLL, I guess if you're willing to clear security twice before preclearing US customs.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...!lounge@ottawa
Too bad YOW didn't think of having a means to access US CBP directly from Dom/Int'l airside (elevator or such). Then TB pax with carry-on only could do this kind of thing more easily (also access a wider variety of shops/restos). I'd do it all the time. You'd need someone to control access by checking BPs … probably not worth the hassle or cost.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Too bad YOW didn't think of having a means to access US CBP directly from Dom/Int'l airside (elevator or such). Then TB pax with carry-on only could do this kind of thing more easily (also access a wider variety of shops/restos). I'd do it all the time. You'd need someone to control access by checking BPs … probably not worth the hassle or cost.
I agree with you on both accounts. It would be nice but not worth the cost. There is never a line up at TB security (or customs) as it is. I don’t understand why they even have NEXIS machines there as they are almost always slower to use than the line to see an agent.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
What data do you use to come up with this? Doesn't YOW have far more passengers and business travelers?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I agree with you on both accounts. It would be nice but not worth the cost. There is never a line up at TB security (or customs) as it is. I don’t understand why they even have NEXIS machines there as they are almost always slower to use than the line to see an agent.
It's mostly true but the 6-7AM bank is very busy and also before flights to FLL and MCO depart within a short window. 2-3 A320s/737s in addition to the usual RJs is all it takes to make security/ customs a mess. It's why they recently expanded the room.

Last edited by ac888yow; Jan 21, 2019 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
What data do you use to come up with this? Doesn't YOW have far more passengers and business travelers?
It's a bizarre comment really. Pax numbers are far lower there but maybe he means they have more cardholding pax, which is a dubious statement to say the least. Maybe he's got some data though...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
Saw this on FlightRadar24 and took a look at the history...it's done two of these runs in the past 10 days or so. Does anyone know why?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...529Z/BIKF/CYOW
The ultimate origin/destination of these flights was DKR/Dakar. I would hazard a guess that this is a military charter for our peacekeeping mission in nearby Mali. That’s a long trip on a 737.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation