HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:14 AM

New owners say renovations coming to the strip mall at Osborne and Stradbrook:

http://www.westerninvestor.com/news/...ver-1.23151562

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:35 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Passed by or glanced at several times over the years yet never stopped inside...

In the building with the blue neon encircling the 2nd floor, I was curious about the clothing store at the SW corner of River @ Osborne....470 River Ave.

It's a Men's & Women's clothing store (CRU for the rest) called Style Bar.

I was there just before closing today. They have $100 dress shirts but also lower priced t-shirts (2 in a bag).

The brand they carry is called Stentt or something like that. To me, a stent is what they put into my Mom in 2009 in the Hosp. Not sure I want something to remind me of her...

Check 'em out.

Promo Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG8Zm0GgQUI

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:44 AM

TV Personality and Comedian Jon Lyungberg gives YP NextHome a tour of Winnipeg's Osborne Village.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
New owners say renovations coming to the strip mall at Osborne and Stradbrook:

http://www.westerninvestor.com/news/...ver-1.23151562
Does this mean that Jekyl and Hyde's lease is being ended? In the picture, it looks like it's being replaced with several stores... and their patio is gone, too?

Will they need a variance to rip out the patio and put in more parking spots? The article says it's a "50 car lot", which I'm guessing means the patio can be switched back to parking without permission.

Seems like a step backward for the Village -- a move toward the River Heights/Academy style of small strip malls with high end retail, designed to be driven to.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Does this mean that Jekyl and Hyde's lease is being ended? In the picture, it looks like it's being replaced with several stores... and their patio is gone, too?

Will they need a variance to rip out the patio and put in more parking spots? The article says it's a "50 car lot", which I'm guessing means the patio can be switched back to parking without permission.

Seems like a step backward for the Village -- a move toward the River Heights/Academy style of small strip malls with high end retail, designed to be driven to.
They remove the patio for parking every winter, don't they?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:54 PM

^Most of that building's parking is directly behind it, hidden from the street.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:02 AM
BANNED

yeah, that's definitely a step backwards... just ensures that the property will sit like that for another 10 years. that whole corner is a disaster and really kills the continuity of the street..

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 12:52 PM

Yeah, the configuration still exists from when it was once a gas station some fifty years ago or so.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

There's no way, even with the patio removed, that it can hold 50 cars. I think there's 9 spots currently. Only way is if they own and are including the lots in the lane behind the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
They remove the patio for parking every winter, don't they?
No it's permanent.

--

I think a realistic, ideal situation would be to go ahead with this as planned, but instead of having parking, build another building right at the corner with retail access to the street and facing inside. Then, you have a sort of sidewalk/plaza area between the old L-shaped and new building which would be an AMAZING opportunity to have European-style sidewalk patios in that area. It's private property too so you wouldn't have to worry about renting sidewalk from the city.

So many people (myself included) park in that lot and go other places sometimes that I think it'd be the smartest move for the developer, that parking lot isn't making money and I don't think it's a make or break for the property. It'd be a one-of-a-kind space in Winnipeg. Plus with TD gone, all of their reserved spaces in the back can be freed up if some tenants raise a fuss.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think a realistic, ideal situation would be to go ahead with this as planned, but instead of having parking, build another building right at the corner with retail access to the street and facing inside. Then, you have a sort of sidewalk/plaza area between the old L-shaped and new building which would be an AMAZING opportunity to have European-style sidewalk patios in that area. It's private property too so you wouldn't have to worry about renting sidewalk from the city.

So many people (myself included) park in that lot and go other places sometimes that I think it'd be the smartest move for the developer, that parking lot isn't making money and I don't think it's a make or break for the property. It'd be a one-of-a-kind space in Winnipeg. Plus with TD gone, all of their reserved spaces in the back can be freed up if some tenants raise a fuss.
I'm going to guess that the city wouldn't allow that given how TD had to build so far back from the street. This would be for the city's plan for the eventual widening of Osborne in a hundred years or so.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:25 PM

^So stupid. Their "plan" wouldn't allow for the current design to be built either. Like we know these new buildings are only gonna stand for 50 years anyway so who cares.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
yeah, that's definitely a step backwards... just ensures that the property will sit like that for another 10 years. that whole corner is a disaster and really kills the continuity of the street..
If there was demand for more, the ugly strip mall would most likely be demolished and replaced with a proper building befitting a corner such as that. As we all know, OV is not so hot.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 9:15 PM
BANNED

it's not about demand, it's about profit. there is a huge amount of demand for affordable apartments and commercial spaces. waiting for the village to be a bougie strip with only high end condos is the developers game plan because then they can maximize profit on the site.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:36 PM

Yeah. I actually think that we're currently at the bottom for OV, but things will turn around toward the end of the year/2019. Because of the rapid residential growth, retail rents have skyrocketed, so many longtime independent businesses have left. The Exchange has emerged as THE place for hip local businesses. As the village continues to densify, demand will come back up to match price, and the Osborne Strip will turn into more of a Whyte Ave or Robson (not on that scale) with more chain stores and big brands, and independents will go to Exchange.

That's my guess.

PS: the reno's to the building Upstairs is in look great. So happy to see Basil has (literally) left the building.

Also, what the hell is going on at Osborne Place? Haven't made progress in months.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

PS: the reno's to the building Upstairs is in look great. So happy to see Basil has (literally) left the building.

Also, what the hell is going on at Osborne Place? Haven't made progress in months.
I drive by there every morning on my way to work. Haven't seen a worker there in a long time. No lights on either.

How about The Osborne Village Inn? Nothing there in eons either. Anyone have any news?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I drive by there every morning on my way to work. Haven't seen a worker there in a long time. No lights on either.

How about The Osborne Village Inn? Nothing there in eons either. Anyone have any news?
No news on OVI but I've heard through the grapevine the new owner really just wants to put no effort in and flip it for more money... whenever that happens to be possible. Supports his "trophy property" statement in the news when he bought it.

Sucks because the Green's said they wanted to sell to someone who was going to do something great for the area with the property, and fielded numerous offers. So either the buyer really duped them, or they didn't really do too much research.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 7:47 PM

Guys, it's just a rendering...

meaning that it has no bearings on Jekyll and Hyde's existnce as of now. Furthermore, there is nowhere near enough room for a building at the street facing in.

Lastly, if their were demand, apartments or condos would be built. Price is a function of demand and cost... it's not about being greedy with profits. If there's money to be made, developers would do it.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:30 PM

ward 1 Has closed already no explanation given according to the Free Press.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:13 AM

Don't think it's been mentioned at all but 21 Mayfair is currently getting an all-new exterior. Not easily noticeable as they're doing the north side first.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:40 AM

Corydon Village Update

The *new* fascade of former Corydon Vacuum (at Lilac) looks terrible.

Part stucco, part brick.

No design intelligence whomever did that.

And there's another one next door or so.

Also that old conv. store is boarded up. Wonder what it's gonna turn into?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan