HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 9:31 PM

DENVER - Historic Cheesman Park Neighborhood

Denver’s Cheesman Park began as one of the city’s first cemeteries - Mt. Prospect. Established in 1859 by Denver founder William Larimer, the land for Mt. Prospect was sold to Denver by the U.S. government for $200. Years later, as development encroached upon what was now known as City Cemetery, it was decided that the cemetery should be moved and in its place a park created. The city hired German landscape architect and civil engineer Reinhard Schuetze who finished designs for the park in 1898 with construction commencing in 1902. Early residential began with the platting of Wyman’s Addition in 1882 and Morgan’s Capitol Hill Subdivision in 1887. The neighborhood contains all of the Humboldt Street and Morgan’s Subdivision Historic Districts and part of the Wyman Historic District and was originally served by several streetcar lines with the earliest being a cable car up Colfax to York Street in the mid 1880s. Today the area is a mixture of single family homes, conversions, apartment buildings, high-rise apartments and condos, and commercial buildings.

Cheesman Park as seen from above - Note that this photo was borrowed from a fellow forumer the1wags with permission.

Taken by the1wags - Originally posted here - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=205348

A map for orientation

Queen Anne - 1890 - Architect John Lewis.

Some photos from the namesake park

The Cheesman Park Memorial Pavilion - Neoclassical (1909) - Architects Willis A. Marean and Albert J. Norton. Built of Colorado Yule marble, Alice Cheesman had this pavilion created as a memorial to her husband Walter Cheesman, the parks namesake. Denver Mayor Walter Speer encouraged the city’s wealthy citizens to donate statues and memorials to the city’s parks during the “City Beautiful” era.

During the sixties alot of homes were demolished to make way for apartment and condo towers. The building center-right in the background of this shot is Cheesman Gardens, built in 1968 where the Leopold Guldman home once stood.

The Guldman home - demo’ed in 1968 to make way for Cheesman Gardens.

Denver Public Library, Western History Collection

The building to the right in this shot is One Cheesman Place which replaced the Henry Collbran house (pictured below) in 1969.

The Greek Revival style Collbran home that once stood on the north end of the park.

Denver Public Library, Western History Collection, Louise G. Friedman

A two-story Classical Revival style apartment house built in 1914. Architects - Baerresen Brothers.

The Waldman Apartments - this Mediterranean Revival style building was designed by architects William E. Fisher and Arthur A. Fisher in 1922 - converted to condos in 1979.

The Bernard Apartments 1923 - Mediterranean Revival - Architects Fisher and Fisher.

1908 Tudor style apartments

The Jeleen Apartments - twin Classical Revival style built in 1910

The Blu-Ett Apartments - 1928 Spanish Eclectic designed b architects F. W. Ireland and E. W. Parr

Italian Renaissance Revival - 1925 - Architect Jules Jacques Benedict

Italian Renaissance Revival - 1924 - Achitect J. J. Benedict

Mediterranean Revival - 1920 - Architect J. J. Benedict

Beaux Arts - 1922 - Architect J.J. Benedict. Lots of interesting details on the side wall - an oriel window over twin decorated arched windows set in light-colored stone, and with bas-relief designs

Colonial Revival - 1917 - Architects Aaron M. Gove and Thomas F. Walsh

The Avon - Tudor - 1931 - Architects F.W. Ireland and E.W. Parr

Tudor style apartments - 1930 - Lots of detail here - Gothic arches, corner turret, iron balconettes, and small dormers with oculus windows.

Queen Anne - 1891.

The Denver Botanic Gardens / Boettcher Memorial Conservatory 1966 - built of interlaced concrete. Architects Victor Hornbein and Edward White

Botanic Gardens House - Beaux Arts - 1926. Architect - J.J. Benedict. Donated to the DBG in 1958 for its headquarters.

Firehouse No. 15 - Classical Revival - 1903. Architect John J. Huddart. Converted in 1988 to a pair of side by side residences

Denver Square - 1908

The Austin - Italian Renaissance Revival - 1904. Architect Audley W. Reynolds.

And lastly some photos from the Humboldt Street Historic District

Eclectic style home with interesting Gothic windows with tracery - 1903. Architect Walter E. Rice.

Georgian Revival - 1905 - Architects Baerresen Bothers.

Georgian Revival - 1906 - Architect Frederick Sterner.

Tammen House. Eclectic / Classical Revival - 1909 - Architect Edwin H. Moorman. U.S. presidents Teddy Roosevelt and William Howard Taft, while holding office, both spoke from an entry hall balcony in this home.

Denver Square / Mission Revival - 1904 - Architect Harlan Thomas.

Stoiber-Reed-Humpheys mansion, Renaissance Revival- 1907 - Architects Willis Marean and Albert Norton. This three-story thirty room home includes a mosaic-tile swimming pool and barbershop in the basement. The home backs to Cheesman Park and is almost impossible to photograph due to the 12 ft. fence and greenery. The homes first owner Lena Stoiber‘s second husband, Hugh Rood , went down on the Titanic while Lena remained in England

Alright , that’s it everyone. If you managed to view to the end I appreciate it. This is one massive thread. Thanks All.

More Threads

Denver - Odds and Ends

San Fransisco

Denver Public Schools - Historic Architecture

Denver - Historic Five Points Neighborhood Part I

Mt. Evans Scenic Byway

Denver - Capitol Hill Neighborhood Part I

Last edited by CPVLIVE; Nov 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 10:37 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Awesome awesome awesome photos! I love Cheesman Park!
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Awesome awesome awesome photos! I love Cheesman Park!
Agreed! I thought I knew the area pretty well, considering my girlfriend lives on 10th and Downing, and we walk/bike throughout the area, but I didn't recognize a majority of these homes. Or maybe I need to pay more attention to the unique architecture of the area. True gems and elegant styles that Denver can really take pride in.

Great job on the photos!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 4:02 AM
Mile High City

Fantastic job as always. Way to showcase my neighborhood!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 4:08 AM

Awesome urban neighborhood with an amazing variety of architectural styles. Your beautiful shots and wonderful historical background information is quite impressive.
My friends here in LA were blown away when they visited. Denver is a lovely city!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 4:24 PM

Thank you for posting all those great photos. I love Denver!!!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 4:36 PM
Lowe's

from 79-87 i lived on Colfax and High st. Really makes me miss it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 4:36 PM

Why is this photo thread not in the Main forum? I was lucky I just happened to see the title in the subforum.

Number 1, these are beautiful and crisp photos, thanks for posting. Number 2, seems like Denver makes it very easy to take beautiful photos. Is every historic area and neighborhood in Denver so perfectly manicured and every house perfectly restored and/or maintained through the years? I find it amazing that Denver has such beautiful historic homes and streets. I knew I boomed with tons of money in the perfect late 19th/early 20th century time period, but did it ever go through tough times? Are there any less-than-perfect historic neighborhoods with run down homes and weeds? Doesn't seem like it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 7:50 PM
Denver

This is a wonderful thread, and really should be posted in the my city photos section so they can get the recognition they deserve

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 8:17 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I agree wholeheartedly. I would ask Cirrus to just grab the whole thread and move it over to My City Photos. We can but a link in Mountain West here if that helps.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 8:20 PM

This is an insane (but awesome) number of pictures, which pretty much guarantee that any non-computer device will choke on this thread. Would it be possible to split this into a 2 or 3-parter?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 8:24 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Are there any less-than-perfect historic neighborhoods with run down homes and weeds? Doesn't seem like it.
Some... but not many left. Denver is still, relatively speaking, and on a metro basis, a very new city. So the limited historic housing stock we have is RAPIDLY gentrifying. Victorian era fixer uppers are getting harder harder to find. But I'll bet we could do an old grit thread still. For a few more years. (Our "ghetto" is moving to the burbs quickly.)

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 8:54 PM

This thread is awesome!

It's funny; I just discovered CPVLIVE's Capital Hill parts I & II threads a couple days ago and spent a lot of time going through them this weekend (they're also huge) and was wishing for a Cheeseman Park thread. And now here it is.

And I agree, it would be nice to have this in the My City Photos forum so more people could see it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 9:21 PM
cities|transit|croissants

If OP requests a move I will make it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:11 AM
Mile High Guy

An absolutely gorgeous representation of ONE of Denver's fine historic and eclectic neighborhoods. Great job!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:05 AM

I am absolutely blown away by the architectural diversity of Denver. The homes and apartment buildings here are gorgeous!

An interesting thing I find about this neighborhood is that it actually seems very unamerican, and way more Canadian in urban form. It's unusual in US cities for there to be clusters of apartment high rises well away from the downtown core, intermixed with single family homes. Essentially this area reminds me a lot of Mississauga high rises meets a Chicago streetcar suburb meets Vancouver's West End.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 11:31 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Thanks for the photos!

Denver easily has the best single family home stock in the US, from my experience.

Was in Cheeseman Park a couple weeks ago during a CO visit, it was an awesome neighborhood. thanks for the pics!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 1:25 AM

WTF? Denver is gorgeous. Very comprehensive thread.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 1:26 AM

Plenty to like!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 1:40 AM
Red brick mama.

Great tour-- looks like a very cozy neighborhood!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos