HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udon'tknow View Post
Interesting article in the LeaderPost about discussions regarding the potential for a new downtown arena. Saskatoon is having similar discussions so why not Regina, our arena is older and smaller there's likely some interest in something new but probably others who would prefer a renovated Brandt.

https://leaderpost.com/sports/hockey...-reginas-radar
They’re talking about a minimum capacity of 10,000 and I don’t believe it’s possible to expand the Brandt Centre to that level.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
They’re talking about a minimum capacity of 10,000 and I don’t believe it’s possible to expand the Brandt Centre to that level.
Would be awesome to put the 10,000 seat arena in the rail yard lands to make that the main event space feature. Then condos, grocery store and shops around it with underground parking.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Would be awesome to put the 10,000 seat arena in the rail yard lands to make that the main event space feature. Then condos, grocery store and shops around it with underground parking.
Or exhibition grounds with some mid- or high-density residential and significant transit access...?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
Or exhibition grounds with some mid- or high-density residential and significant transit access...?
With the amount of businesses along the Dewdney stretch plus (with the future pedestrian bridge across to the Cornwall Centre/Hamilton Street area) wouldn’t it be better to have the arena around all those businesses that could benefit from the before and after crowds (who parked, walked)? I get that the exhibition grounds are a big hub, but there isn’t much in the immediate area other than DQ south of the Stadium. The Arena would really play to the revitalization of a currently empty space at the railyards.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 10:28 PM

You people have an extra $100 million kicking around to pay for this? Taxpayers don't have the appetite for anything like this at this time.

It's not happening.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
With the amount of businesses along the Dewdney stretch plus (with the future pedestrian bridge across to the Cornwall Centre/Hamilton Street area) wouldn’t it be better to have the arena around all those businesses that could benefit from the before and after crowds (who parked, walked)? I get that the exhibition grounds are a big hub, but there isn’t much in the immediate area other than DQ south of the Stadium. The Arena would really play to the revitalization of a currently empty space at the railyards.
You bring up some good points. My only comment would be that stadia are generally overrated when it comes to revitalizing an area. A hockey arena is probably a bit better than a football arena. But probably looking at around 40-45 events per year, at least initially. The other 300+ days of the year that space will be largely wasted on an arena and not contribute anything to the surrounding area. And I would argue could be better used for how relatively valuable that area should be.

I don't have an eatra $100m laying around and I agree that taxpayers likely don't have an appetite for this. However, this is something I would support, although I would be in the minority. I do go to the occasional Pats game but I don't go to any concerts. I can see myself going to more concerts if we were able to attract the types of acts that Saskatoon commonly gets,

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:03 AM

I can see it happening. Too many other priorities ahead of a new rink. Replacing the Lawson will likely happen first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
if we were able to attract the types of acts that
Saskatoon commonly gets
If we had the bigger arena, I think we would see concerts hit either Saskatoon or Regina. Shows hit Calgary and Edmonton, but mostly that's because there is the population to do that. I don't see it making a big change for shows in Sask.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I can see it happening. Too many other priorities ahead of a new rink. Replacing the Lawson will likely happen first.

If we had the bigger arena, I think we would see concerts hit either Saskatoon or Regina. Shows hit Calgary and Edmonton, but mostly that's because there is the population to do that. I don't see it making a big change for shows in Sask.
It would save Reginans a five-hour round trip drive. Yes, it might be at the expense of Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
It would save Reginans a five-hour round trip drive. Yes, it might be at the expense of Saskatoon.
It's not gonna happen with taxpayer money. Marquart already pilfered the taxpayers out at the GTH. Let him pony up the money if he wants.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:06 PM

CNIB building in Wascana Park was demolished this morning.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:50 PM

Does anyone know if the city has the ability to modify the length of traffic signals remotely? Today I experienced a short turn signal and was curious why they don't make them longer during the winter (at least at certain intersections) to counter slower acceleration times.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Does anyone know if the city has the ability to modify the length of traffic signals remotely? Today I experienced a short turn signal and was curious why they don't make them longer during the winter (at least at certain intersections) to counter slower acceleration times.
Yes they can. In fact they have had the ability to do this for decades. The double lights on the Arcola bridge are a classic example of this. when it is slippery sometimes only 5 or 6 cars can get through on a green light.

I have noted that often traffic detectors often don't work. For example there will be a long advanced left when there are no cars turning. I have always thought that they should have an online reporting system like they have for street lights. If they get several complaints for one location, they know for sure there is a problem.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
It's not gonna happen with taxpayer money. Marquart already pilfered the taxpayers out at the GTH. Let him pony up the money if he wants.
One of the models being considered is based on the private downtown arena in London, Ontario. I believe the city of London donated the land as their contribution to the project, and actually gets an annual dividend.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
One of the models being considered is based on the private downtown arena in London, Ontario. I believe the city of London donated the land as their contribution to the project, and actually gets an annual dividend.
They called it a public private partnership, but like almost every arena in Canada it was mostly public money. $9.5 million of $52 million was private. This was in 2002. The dividends are probably from the recently sold naming rights.

Wikipedia:
Budweiser Gardens was built at a cost of approximately $42 million by the London, Ontario-based construction company EllisDon Corp., builders of Toronto's Rogers Centre. The City of London contributed $32 million for arena construction and $10 million to purchase the land, while the London Civic Centre Corporation added $9.5 million to the arena's construction.[

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Yes they can. In fact they have had the ability to do this for decades. The double lights on the Arcola bridge are a classic example of this. when it is slippery sometimes only 5 or 6 cars can get through on a green light.

I have noted that often traffic detectors often don't work. For example there will be a long advanced left when there are no cars turning. I have always thought that they should have an online reporting system like they have for street lights. If they get several complaints for one location, they know for sure there is a problem.
There's a difference than the technology to do so, and Regina having the budget to do so.

A few of Regina's important intersections are monitored, but the majority are not and won't be because y'all freak-out at the idea of tax increases.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:26 PM

There's a strong chance we get a new rink with construction starting in the 2022-2025 timeline. Fougere loves sports and is almost guaranteed to win in 2020.

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jan 22, 2019 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
There's a strong chance we get a new drink with construction starting in the 2022-2025 timeline. Fougere loves sports and is almost guaranteed to win in 2020.
Drink maybe ,but rink I would say more like 2026-2029 when the Brandt Centre hits 50 years old, and even that depends on the economy.

Exhibition Stadium was 60 years old and an absolute hellhole and it took the Pats threatening to move to Portland or Spokane to get the $7.7 million ($30 million in current $) Agridome built.

There is really no point in a new arena unless you spend at least $130 million, otherwise you end up with a slightly shinier Agridome.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:16 PM

Us needing it and us getting it are two very different things. Marquadt has a strong voice with city council and a clear desire to want it done.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:44 PM

There is definitely a much stronger business case for the government investing in a hockey arena compared to an open-air football stadium. Having said that, there is still not much of a case to begin with.

So the Pats want to move to a different city if no new stadium is built? Okay, then move. More and more cities are refusing to be held ransom by professional, private sports teams and leagues, and that's a good thing. If there is no way for a private company to secure financing for a stadium (in other words, a business case that there is a profit to be made and the loans paid off), then government shouldn't step in. Either raise the capital privately (or through loans) or raise ticket prices to pay for new facilities. The city needs a new modern central library before it needs a new arena.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
There is definitely a much stronger business case for the government investing in a hockey arena compared to an open-air football stadium. Having said that, there is still not much of a case to begin with.

So the Pats want to move to a different city if no new stadium is built? Okay, then move. More and more cities are refusing to be held ransom by professional, private sports teams and leagues, and that's a good thing. If there is no way for a private company to secure financing for a stadium (in other words, a business case that there is a profit to be made and the loans paid off), then government shouldn't step in. Either raise the capital privately (or through loans) or raise ticket prices to pay for new facilities. The city needs a new modern central library before it needs a new arena.
Stormer was referencing when the Agridome was built, not now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan