HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 1:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Yet another proposal for High Speed Rail in the Quebec City-Windsor Corridor

Personally, I have always been for this project. What do you all think?

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/534489

Ontario and Quebec push speedy train link
The Toronto Star
Nov 11, 2008 04:30 AM
Richard Brennan, Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA–Ontario and Quebec say the federal government should back a multi-billion-dollar high-speed train link from Windsor to Quebec City to create jobs and a lasting legacy for a country struggling with hard economic times.

"It's more than just an infrastructure project. It's visionary in nature," Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said yesterday. "I'm hoping that we can turn this (economic) crisis into an opportunity to actually act as a catalyst to move this project along," he told reporters.

The premiers and territorial leaders were in Ottawa to meet with Prime Minister Stephen Harper on the economy and to discuss ways to create jobs, especially in areas hard hit by manufacturing job losses.

"They could send a powerful signal by saying the fast train project between Quebec City ... and Windsor is going to happen," Quebec Premier Jean Charest said yesterday of a proposed high-speed train that could get travellers from Toronto to Montreal in less than 2 1/2 hours.

"I am of the conviction that this is a project that must be carried out ... it's an excellent project and the time is all the more important because of traffic problems and from an environmental perspective," Charest said.

Both McGuinty and Charest raised the long-discussed project with Harper, who said he would wait to see the results of the latest study to be commissioned.

"I could see the wheels spinning as the Prime Minister considered this. One of the things that this time calls for are just a few visionary projects that speak to our continuing investment in and hope associated with the promise of our future," McGuinty said.

The 1,150-kilometre route has been studied many times over the decades. In 1995 the estimated cost was $18.3 billion, and, when adjusted for inflation, the cost today would be almost $25 billion.

Charest and McGuinty, along with the federal government, announced in January another high-speed rail study, with each government throwing in $1 million to hire a consultant to review the previous reports and come up with something that meets today's needs.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 2:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

Would love to see this become a reality.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 2:53 PM
Look at me!

Of course I am all for it. Also it'd be good that Hamilton be included in it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 3:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

I think the high speed train will likely skip over Hamilton. Probably go from London to K/W to the GTA.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 3:33 PM
Round Head

I'm all for it. Its time has come.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 1:51 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I think the high speed train will likely skip over Hamilton. Probably go from London to K/W to the GTA.
this is my fear. 150 years ago cities/towns were made or broke depending on where rail lines located.

If Hamilton has any political influence left it needs to use it to make sure its included in the corridor.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
this is my fear. 150 years ago cities/towns were made or broke depending on where rail lines located.

If Hamilton has any political influence left it needs to use it to make sure its included in the corridor.
Hamilton and Kitchener/Pearson would be on two separate corridors. Pearson would undoubtedly be served before Hamilton because connecting major airports is an essential part of any high speed line's business plan. High speed trains would all but replace connecting flights in the Corridor, just as they have in Europe. Regardless, even if HSR gets built in this country it'll be a long long time before either city gets served. But in the meantime Hamilton will be much better connected than Kitchener since the Lakeshore Line is getting electrified with all-day service.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 4:53 PM

I would phase it forsure, with the first phase being Montreal-Dorval-Union-YYZ. Fully integrating into the airport network in the first phase would set up the link for further expansion, with more public support. Trying to swallow the price for the full link all at once would be pretty crazy.

Combined with a system to double track (or more) and make more frequent the commuter trains in Montreal and Toronto, you have a winning situation.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 4:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
I would phase it forsure, with the first phase being Montreal-Dorval-Union-YYZ. Fully integrating into the airport network in the first phase would set up the link for further expansion, with more public support. Trying to swallow the price for the full link all at once would be pretty crazy.

Combined with a system to double track (or more) and make more frequent the commuter trains in Montreal and Toronto, you have a winning situation.
By no means am I an expert, but I'd expect that Montreal-Ottawa would be the first phase for several reasons:

1. It is a much shorter distance, thus constituting less initial risk.
2. VIA already owns the track and right-of-way between the two cities permitting improvements without significant land acquisition.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 2:16 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
By no means am I an expert, but I'd expect that Montreal-Ottawa would be the first phase for several reasons:

1. It is a much shorter distance, thus constituting less initial risk.
2. VIA already owns the track and right-of-way between the two cities permitting improvements without significant land acquisition.
The VIA owned track ends about 50km short of Montreal - although there is a virtually unused CSX line just south of where the VIA owned track ends that CSX obtained by way of Conrail after it was broken up and would probably part with for the loose change and lint in your pocket.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 6:56 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:

I would actually have it be Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto with connection to all three airports. This way, you actually connect via HSR three of the four largest cities in Canada...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 7:17 PM
Back from the dead

I'm all for it right up until we get to the price tag. If the government is in charge of building any high speed rail link between any cities, it's bound to go way over budget. Even if it does come in at $25 billion...that's still $25 BILLION dollars. What in the world would make this so expensive ? Yes, nothing about it is cheap , I understand that but how much could special trains, track, property, and stations possibly cost ?

$25 billion bucks is a lot of money. I would go so far as to call it an excessive amount of cash for what we'd get. It's still slower than a plane so what exactly does $25 billion buy that we need even for convenience sake ?

Yeah, I can hear it all already "You're being negative" , "Why does it always come down to money for some people", and all the usual stuff from the folks who don't care about the cash if something is shiny enough. None of that will actually answer the questions I'm posing though so please, tell me what makes this a good way to spend that much cash. Make-work project ? Is it so "green" that it actually removes pollution from the air ? (Actually , I already know how some people are going to answer that so let me head you off at the pass. If the same people riding this high-speed link took the "regular" train right now for environmental reasons , we wouldn't "need" a high speed line anyway. They don't take the train today because it's faster and cheaper to take a plane or drive themselves. Being "green" takes a back seat to economics and convenience just like it always does)

Sorry guys but somebody has to ask these questions or we just end up with an echo chamber full of nodding heads.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 7:24 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I'm all for a new HST project between Quebec City and Windsor.

Yes, I agree the cost is high, but over the long term, it's a drop in the bucket, especially if it can stimulate intensive redevelopment at station sites (i.e. downtowns) and get people out of their cars.

I also think it would be great to see it as a province-wide (The Southern portion anyway) metro system that could make it feasible for people to live in places like London and commute to Toronto and vice versa... I hear this is quite common in the smaller cities outside Paris...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Is it so "green" that it actually removes pollution from the air ? (Actually , I already know how some people are going to answer that so let me head you off at the pass. If the same people riding this high-speed link took the "regular" train right now for environmental reasons , we wouldn't "need" a high speed line anyway. They don't take the train today because it's faster and cheaper to take a plane or drive themselves. Being "green" takes a back seat to economics and convenience just like it always does)
Actually yes, it would remove pollution from the air. Every study for HSR, as well as real world experience in Europe, shows that much of the ridership comes from people who currently fly. Whenever a new HSR line opens between two cities, air traffic plummets, and we all know flying is the dirtiest way to travel. People don't switch to the train because they want to be "green", but because the train is faster, more convenient, more comfortable, and more reliable than flying. It would totally transform how people travel in the Corridor, and even where people live. And being green really has nothing to do with it.

Obviously $25 billion is a lot of money, but the line is forecast to make a profit. And for the Montreal-Toronto portion the capital costs are expected to be completely recovered.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 7:40 AM
Back from the dead

Jared and Mister F,

Those are all good points and they address some of my concerns.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with the idea exactly except that I can't figure out what in the world makes this thing cost $25 billion dollars ?
For that kind of cash, is it worth it ? That's really what I'm getting at here. Three, four, even five billion bucks...well, okay I suppose. I don't understand why it would have to cost even that much but okay, that's not really all that significant in the big scheme. But $25 billion ? Why would this cost that much ?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 5:00 AM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm all for it right up until we get to the price tag. If the government is in charge of building any high speed rail link between any cities, it's bound to go way over budget. Even if it does come in at $25 billion...that's still $25 BILLION dollars. What in the world would make this so expensive ? Yes, nothing about it is cheap , I understand that but how much could special trains, track, property, and stations possibly cost ?

$25 billion bucks is a lot of money. I would go so far as to call it an excessive amount of cash for what we'd get. It's still slower than a plane so what exactly does $25 billion buy that we need even for convenience sake ?

Yeah, I can hear it all already "You're being negative" , "Why does it always come down to money for some people", and all the usual stuff from the folks who don't care about the cash if something is shiny enough. None of that will actually answer the questions I'm posing though so please, tell me what makes this a good way to spend that much cash. Make-work project ? Is it so "green" that it actually removes pollution from the air ? (Actually , I already know how some people are going to answer that so let me head you off at the pass. If the same people riding this high-speed link took the "regular" train right now for environmental reasons , we wouldn't "need" a high speed line anyway. They don't take the train today because it's faster and cheaper to take a plane or drive themselves. Being "green" takes a back seat to economics and convenience just like it always does)

Sorry guys but somebody has to ask these questions or we just end up with an echo chamber full of nodding heads.
Looking at the cost alone isnt really useful. A proper cost analysis would consist of the following:

"What are the costs and benefits of each of the following:"

a) High Speed Rail
b) Upgraded Highways and Airports
c) Doing Nothing

a) and b) both result in capital costs, obviously, but lessen economic inefficiency caused by gridlock. The real question is, if HSR is not built, how much money worth of roads and airports will need to be built in order to accomodate all that travel? And how do you account for costs such as extra cars and planes contributing to people developing asthma (i.e. health care costs)?

c) has no capital cost, but it costs you in economic productivity, and lifestyle in general.

As for the environmental thing, it doesnt really matter whether people care or not. As long as people take the train instead of the plane, the environment will benefit; their motivations for taking the train are irrelevant. The train would conceivably be faster than an airplane in terms of door-to-door travel time (since you dont need to show up 2 hours early to catch a train), so you get to a point where it's more convinient to take a train.

----------------------

In terms of building it, I think it would make most sense to start with a Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal route (obviously the busiest section), and then gradually extend it from each end, until it reaches Windor and Quebec City.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I would actually have it be Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto with connection to all three airports. This way, you actually connect via HSR three of the four largest cities in Canada...
Just a standard speed rail connection (not shared with freight) with good frequency, would be enough to tie in, no reason to pay so much when there would be a forced transfer in Montreal anyways (don't think their would be enough O'D to justify direct Ottawa-Toronto trains at the frequency needed to make it viable).

You could make the same justification to extending to Hamilton using highspeed, but what is the point really, it is better to build in phases, and build up good feeder networks, which takes alot of time. Plus, it would likely make more sense to not run through Hamilton at all, but roughly follow the 401 and hit the surrounding cities. Especially since the infrastructure is already planned to feed Hamilton into the Union hub.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 2:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
(don't think their would be enough O'D to justify direct Ottawa-Toronto trains at the frequency needed to make it viable).
I think you might be surprised at the numbers for Ottawa-Toronto on something like Air Canada’s Rapidair for example. Flights between Ottawa and Toronto are actually proportionately (when you take into account the fact that Montreal is much larger than Ottawa) busier than the Montreal-Toronto flights.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 3:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Just a standard speed rail connection (not shared with freight) with good frequency, would be enough to tie in, no reason to pay so much when there would be a forced transfer in Montreal anyways (don't think their would be enough O'D to justify direct Ottawa-Toronto trains at the frequency needed to make it viable).
Well, tomorrow Toronto-Ottawa and vice versa will see 10 trains compared to 12 trains on Montreal-Toronto and Ottawa-Montreal. That suggests that the O&D is substantial on both the Ottawa-Toronto and Ottawa-Montreal routes

A Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto routing would be slightly longer; however, the time difference between Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto would be engulfed by the time-savings of highspeed rail. I think the additional passengers would more than compensate for the additional time traveled. I would guess that the increased time would likely only amount to 30min or so, including the additional station dwell time in Ottawa.

There are several other reasons I feel Ottawa-Montreal is the most logical starting point. First, VIA owns the infrastructure in that corridor, and has already improved it significantly. I expect the capital costs for introducing high speed rail along the Alexandria subdivision would be significantly reduced compared to other parts of the Quebec-Windsor corridor. Additionally, the Ottawa-Montreal route would likely have the greatest potential increase in passengers, as the run could be reduced from approximately 2hrs to 1+hrs, essentially combining the Ottawa and Montreal commutersheds.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 5:02 PM

It would be cool if we had HsR in the Windsor - QC corridor and the Calgary - Edmonton corridor within 10 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada