HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 9:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by duener View Post
What's going on with Maple Tree square?

I thought they were going to redevelop it as part of this Carrall greenway. But it seems to have turned into a separate project. It would be great if they blocked off the traffic and turned it into a proper pedestrianised square; a place filled with tables and chairs where you can while away the afternoon watching people go by... but I know that's not likely.
It is far more likely with the new council. They seem much more willing to show leadership than the last council. Andrea Reimer seems keen on car-free streets. It would be a good idea to send her an e-mail on this, andrea@andreareimer.ca

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 7:49 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It's far more likely that nothing will happen with the current council, the Maple leaf square renos have been dropped off the current capital plan to save money, so you'll have to wait till after the 2009-2011 capital plan, we'll have another election by then. So no point sending those emails quite yet.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
It's far more likely that nothing will happen with the current council, the Maple leaf square renos have been dropped off the current capital plan to save money, so you'll have to wait till after the 2009-2011 capital plan, we'll have another election by then. So no point sending those emails quite yet.
Actually there is. It is during the next three years that the planning will be done for items in the next capital plan so now is the ideal time.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:30 AM

Also, in the same area, I remember hearing rumours that Blood Alley was possibly going to be redeveloped into a Montreal-style square with lots of outdoor seating. Is that happening as part of the Salient redevelopment?

What happened to all the talk about expanding the sidewalk patio program?

I thought the city was going to do a study and report back to council. Then mayor Sullivan commented that he'd seen colder cities with more expansive patio seating... everyone was on board. But it seems like it all faded away.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 7:27 AM
matt in the city

Update on Central Valley Greenway

Took a ride along the Central Valley Greenway from False Creek to Gilmore Station in Burnaby this afternoon. Was pleased to see that 99% of the paving is done already all the way to Boundary Road. Still have to put up fences, signs, landscaping but it is usable now. A traffic light where 1st Ave crosses Main St and also Quebec street would be helpful, hopefully those will be ready by the spring.

new paving just west of Renfrew Station

at Boundary Road

Looking west at Boundary Road towards Vancouver

Boundary Road

Pleasant ambiance on the section in Burnaby between Boundary and Gilmore. (poor pavement, razor wire, graffiti vandalism, fences on both sides, wouldn't want to be in this area late at night. The columns are really poor for visibility)

Overall it seems like it will be a good cycling route, but some of the areas don't seem very friendly.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 9:45 AM

Well it's great to hear it's almost done. So what sections are left to be completed now?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 11:06 AM

theres a gap in the paving between rupert and boundary, but other than that, i guess east 1st could use some work.

in burnaby its still being pieced together. theres a weird section between gilmore and willingdon where you really have to know where youre going or else you will get lost. and its still on street between costco and douglas rd. the overpass at sperling is still u/c and east of there the trail is choppy at best.

overall though, its a rideable route. you can get from boundary road to main street in under 15 minutes now

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattropolis View Post
Boundary Road
Any sign of a new traffic light here? Otherwise it would be tough to cross.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 10:17 PM

i drive that area a lot its never really that bad crossing shouldn't be much of a problem

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 10:52 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I hope they are planning to install more lighting between Boundary and HWY1... otherwise... it wouldn't really be "safe"

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 11:00 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There is still a bit of work to do, lighting, and greenery are still to come. This path will be pretty popular come spring.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Any sign of a new traffic light here? Otherwise it would be tough to cross.
There will be a traffic light at Boundary. The upgrading of the section between Gilmore and Boundary is up for tender I think. Wayfinding will also be added sooner or later to help people find the way through the tricky parts.

They still need a signal at Naniamo. The traffic gets backed up from Grandview forcing people to pick there way through the stopped cars.

The City of Vancouver needs to get a move on on the Bridge across the tracks from Grandview Hwy North and Clark to by Home Depot so cyclists do not have to deal with the busy corner of 6th and Clark and the 13% grade leading up to this corner. This was the original plan until costs escalated.

Letters to Mayor and Council are always a good idea:
mayorandcouncil@vancouver.ca

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:58 AM

Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:16 AM
senior something

Nice pics mattropolis. It should look pretty good once the landscaping is done.

Is the pavement on the left pic in that last photo old pavement that will be torn up and landscaped?

Either way, it's already a massive improvement on what was there before. I've biked that route a couple times over the last few years, and it was pretty terrible, especially the Renfew to Boundary section.

racc,
do you have any images of that plan? I'm curious to see it...

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:42 AM

Any info on when the Canada Line North Arm Bridge bike/pedestrian path will open?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 8:07 AM
matt in the city

I didn't see any evidence of a traffic light at Boundary. It wouldn't be too hard to cross because of the proximity of lights nearby.

It looks really weird with the lamp-posts in the middle of the path on the section between Boundary and Gilmore. I guess the razor wire fence came later. Perhaps to keep cyclists out of the film studio lot.

I'm curious on this idea to build a bridge from Grandview and Clark to Terminal Ave. Was that an actual plan? I can't visualize it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Any info on when the Canada Line North Arm Bridge bike/pedestrian path will open?
No idea, but there's no question that there's going to be a ton of graffiti once it opens.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 8:23 AM
matt in the city

Create a sting operation to catch the vandals at night using night-vision cameras and dogs!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
There is still a bit of work to do, lighting, and greenery are still to come. This path will be pretty popular come spring.
I'll be riding it within a week or so, once this current batch of snow melts... i'll take some pics if I remember to bring my camera and my hands arent TOO cold.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 11:08 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Thanks in advance!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure