HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 10:40 PM

^^^ what land will that be built on?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 10:42 PM

1-18
Old Town

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Hopefully it's designed by whoever it was that did the UNO school out west.
JGMA

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:50 AM

Speaking of UNO, more schools proposed

http://stlarchitects.com/projects/uno

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 2:03 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
So wait, you are against this development then....

I guess what I've been trying to say is the South Loop can and should be a River North. The proposed development is exactly what Parkside Oldtown has become.....These pseudo-suburban, single use enclaves that are highly inappropriate near a downtown area. ...
I am in favor of additional development anywhere in the city. I am not in favor of the form of the development in question.

The South Loop actually has the bones to become a better version of River North, but dropping anti-pedestrian places with excessive unusable "public" space around them isn't going to get it there. I think you and I are probably pretty much on the same page.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 2:05 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Speaking of UNO, more schools proposed

http://stlarchitects.com/projects/uno
That looks amazing - thanks for the link!

Regarding the Lakeshore East school, if I recall correctly, there is a narrow parcel directly between BCBS and the Aqua that was (at the time, back in early 2008) specifically reserved for the school - I believe street frontage on upper Columbus is probably between 40-50'. Spyguy can you confirm that this is where the school will be built?

EDIT: I just checked on Google maps and measuring with the scale indicates street frontage at more like 100' (upper Columbus).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 2:28 AM
TL;DR

That's such an awkward site, I always assumed it would be a sliver tower.

I guess you could build a school there by placing the gym/auditorium/cafeteria in the podium below Columbus, and then classrooms/library in a low-rise building above. The facade facing the park could be more parkhomes or some kind of atrium space for the school. If it is truly "neighborhood-oriented", then the main entrance should face the park, with a secondary entrance from Columbus. Loading would of course occur from Lower Columbus.

It might actually be a better site than the other ones that were proposed, though. The remaining park-front sites are wedged in awkward corners and have only limited area, so they'd have to be quite vertical to cram everything in. A small-scaled structure between BCBS and Aqua would preserve views of Millennium Park and maintain some small diversity of scale.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:46 AM

I know plans change sometimes but, according to their site plan, that plot was suppose to be for an office tower. It would be neat to have the school at the base and lower floors of an office tower.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I am in favor of additional development anywhere in the city. I am not in favor of the form of the development in question.

The South Loop actually has the bones to become a better version of River North, but dropping anti-pedestrian places with excessive unusable "public" space around them isn't going to get it there. I think you and I are probably pretty much on the same page.
Well said, the south loop needs helping in turning into a "real" city neighborhood as opposed to the verticle subdivision it feels like now.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 2:26 PM
dream fast

Developer Rob Buono and architect Jon Heinert with 1601 W. Division model.

http://news.eastvillagechicago.org/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 8:25 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Regarding the Lakeshore East school, if I recall correctly, there is a narrow parcel directly between BCBS and the Aqua that was (at the time, back in early 2008) specifically reserved for the school - I believe street frontage on upper Columbus is probably between 40-50'. Spyguy can you confirm that this is where the school will be built?
That was certainly one location they were considering. I believe in that case the school would have been at the base of a future tower.

However, I think now it might be south of the Coast and next to the Tides. I believe it's going to be a GEMS school (mentioned years ago) which would explain why the newsletter mentioned that Carlins was traveling to the Middle East (GEMS is based in Dubai, I think). Square footage wise this school might be larger than Jones College Prep, giving you some idea of the potential scale.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 5:02 AM

While on the subject of Northwestern...

Some instogram shots I took from the waiting room of the Galter Pavilion

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 1:13 AM

Just a noticing of things on Michigan Ave

Payless Shoe Source at 444 is closed as the company sheds hundreds of under performing stores

Timberland is coming back and moving into 625 N. Michigan Ave

Tons of work going on at 543 N Michigan Ave (former Nokia Store) maybe someone here can say what's going on.

In general rents are rising, but business seems well on Michigan Ave despite a sluggish economy.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 2:03 AM
The City

Quote:
Just a noticing of things on Michigan Ave

Payless Shoe Source at 444 is closed as the company sheds hundreds of under performing stores

Timberland is coming back and moving into 625 N. Michigan Ave

Tons of work going on at 543 N Michigan Ave (former Nokia Store) maybe someone here can say what's going on.

In general rents are rising, but business seems well on Michigan Ave despite a sluggish economy.
^ The Mag Mile is very dynamic, the turnover has been dramatic in the past 10 years. I still remember when the Virgin Store was there. I used to love Virgin Records. Now the concept of a giant CD store seems so antiquated

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ The Mag Mile is very dynamic, the turnover has been dramatic in the past 10 years. I still remember when the Virgin Store was there. I used to love Virgin Records. Now the concept of a giant CD store seems so antiquated
I remember the Viacom store a block down where Ann Taylor is. I think it took up space where Grand Lux was too. If Michigan Ave wasn't this dynamic it would be a failure IMO. The constant change keeps it fresh. I have photos of these businesses. I should do a then and now of 2012 vs 2002

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 2:04 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Can you being to imagine how much happier we would all be with the recent additions to the city if SCB was swapped out for SOM? Saddens me a little inside.
SCB is better than most of the "budget" firms we have and its not bad as a sort of "minimum standard." SOM, on the other hand, hasn't produced that many residential high-rises that I find particularly attractive in recent years.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 7:51 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
I don't think they've officially signed a tenant but they're doing some interior renovations right now to ready the space. The scary part is that the owners are advertising the fact that the facade could be replaced/modernized (similar to what happened to the Mather building further south). That would be criminal IMO. It's a lovely building as is.

Unnoticed article in last week's Crain's talking about the plans for the Wrigley Building:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...o-stick-around

Wrigley Building tenants get reasons to stick around
By Shia Kapos January 16, 2012

Groupon Inc.'s Brad Keywell and Eric Lefkofsky and Byron Trott's BDT Capital Partners have big plans to develop the property surrounding the historic Wrigley Building, which they purchased last year for some $33 million.

The 410 Club will return (or a version of it — think upscale steakhouse) along with a higher-end sandwich shop and other retail in the now vacant plaza between the two terra cotta towers. The shops will be built out into the plaza with entrances from the outside.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I don't think they've officially signed a tenant but they're doing some interior renovations right now to ready the space. The scary part is that the owners are advertising the fact that the facade could be replaced/modernized (similar to what happened to the Mather building further south). That would be criminal IMO. It's a lovely building as is.

Unnoticed article in last week's Crain's talking about the plans for the Wrigley Building:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...o-stick-around

Wrigley Building tenants get reasons to stick around
By Shia Kapos January 16, 2012

Groupon Inc.'s Brad Keywell and Eric Lefkofsky and Byron Trott's BDT Capital Partners have big plans to develop the property surrounding the historic Wrigley Building, which they purchased last year for some $33 million.

The 410 Club will return (or a version of it — think upscale steakhouse) along with a higher-end sandwich shop and other retail in the now vacant plaza between the two terra cotta towers. The shops will be built out into the plaza with entrances from the outside.
Speaking of the Mather, it has to be one of the craziest renovations I've ever seen. I can see the rooftop from my office and it has a ridiculous amount of mechanical. They had to add elevators, new stair towers, two new escalators, and new floor and roof joists. I think the only things saved were the brick walls and portions of the facade reassembled in the entry lobby by the escalators. But the Mather seems to be doing well these days.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The pixelated ceiling of the "gap" reminds me of the rooftop bar at Jean Nouvel's Sofitel in Vienna. I wonder if the intent is similar, to find/identify a signature restaurant to take this space?
Since it's a rehabilitation hospital, this could conceivably be a large open space with a track where patients can do physical therapy and exercise or, for the truly incapacitated, get brought out for some fresh air and views of nature.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:59 AM

Add to the Mag Mile dynamism that an AT&T flagship concept is going to be created in the 600-630 block, west side (after I think Ann Taylor or some other tenant vacates). Supposedly something different from the recent Arlington Heights flagship.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development