HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 3:10 PM
BANNED

Street Food

Not sure if there is already a thread on this (could a mod please move if there is thx).

Globe and Mail article on push to bring a wider range of street food to Vancouver. Looks promising:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/na...service=mobile

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 6:23 PM
Registered Loser

i wanna open a crazybread stand.

no meat portion, so its safe.

easy to walk and eat.

cheese and oil and bread?!
-everybody fucking loves crazy bread.

i'll be a millionaire.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 8:15 PM
Shoebox Dweller

How about a bread stand in general? Choose your bread and your toppings (simple stuff), and a type of dipping sauce, if desired. Take a cart, clad it in light weight stone veneer to make it rustic-like. I'll take some focaccia with balsamic & olive oil, please!

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 8:49 PM

Its not easy. Last license draw by the engineering department had 300 applications each with up to possible three choices applying for 10 locations in the city.

That means you have give or take a 1 in 600-700 chance of actually getting a location for street vending.

Obviously im on that lottery like a fly on shit since its $150 for three choices and if you win you can milk them via lease(free money). The hot dog stands for example make well over $100,000 in profit just within the late spring to early fall months, and their incredibly easy to run. Thanks to the city making the number of street vendors artificially low(to protect actual businesses) the profits with one of these licenses can be astronomical.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 9:03 PM

I don't know if they are ridiculously easy to run, the government imposes A LOT of mind numbing restrictions on them, such as exactly how many square feet they can take up, and how big or how many umbrellas they are allowed to have

And the list goes on, and on, and on...

Are there any pretzel stands around ? That could be better than just selling a breadstick lol

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I don't know if they are ridiculously easy to run, the government imposes A LOT of mind numbing restrictions on them, such as exactly how many square feet they can take up, and how big or how many umbrellas they are allowed to have

And the list goes on, and on, and on...

Are there any pretzel stands around ? That could be better than just selling a breadstick lol
The regulations aren't actually bad, the city has quite a few but their easy to follow and are not pricey or complicated(though lots of them are pretty idiotic like usual). As far as coastal health health approval for the satand and storage location goes its easy for the food allowed right now, which is pre cooked hot dogs, nuts, coffee, fruit and I think pretzels and popcorn(could be wrong about the last two). Other than that you dont need a business license and you deal mostly with cash which makes accounting a bit easier as errors are hard to spot. Believe me it is easy, the problem is that lots of other people know that and its not easy to win the location lottery.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 11:04 PM
Shoebox Dweller

They should simply do what Toronto does and use the uniqueness of the concept as a primary evaluation criteria. I remember posting an article 6-12 months ago on how they were specifically looking for different types of vendors to sell pad thai, mexican, and others.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 3:57 AM

i hear the twitter food scene is alive and well in vancouver - pop up food tastings and stuff that moves around and done by word of twitter

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 7:18 PM

Vancouver Finally Decides to Allow Street Food and Taco Trucks!

Quote:
Vancouver Finally Decides to Allow Street Food and Taco Trucks!

Posted by Kat Braybrooke / May 28, 2010

News outlets are all atwitter because it looks like Japadog's about to get some (much needed) culinary competition of the street variety. The City has announced that it's doing a summer pilot project to give mobile kitchens, ala Portland, the chance to sell food on city sidewalks. God, yes!

As someone who grew up in the U.S., I can say with full seriousness that there truly is nothing quite as satisfying as a greasy, hot plate of random ethnic food served up dirty and fast from an impolite vendor who lives out of the back of her truck. I was actually in Portland this past weekend and got a delictable dish called "Drunken Noodles" from a Thai street vendor at 4am. I can't even tell you how amazing that was. Our progressive City Council is working at this very moment on a big call-out for vendors who are interested in offering "streetside food service".

With Vancouver's active weekend clubbing (and underground music) scenes, and a burgeoning multitude of upper middle class students who throng together in drunken gangs late at night looking to waste their cash, the pilot is pretty much guaranteed to be successful, in my opinion.

Here's hoping that street food is as well-received by Vancouverites as it was by those in Portland, L.A., Austin, New York and other cities that have thriving street food cultures. There's just something about international food out of tiny, bright trucks that really adds to a city's sense of local culture and flavour.

I'm also hoping that it doesn't go the way of Toronto and its horrifically batched and over-regulated 'A La Cart' street vendor initiative.

Street food I would pay good money (and by that, I mean $5 a dish) to see ASAP? First on my list would obviously be Mexican -- authentic street tacos give me a great amount of joy. Next, Indian. Last, Caribbean. Why not?

Japadog, watch your back.

What street food do YOU want to see on Vancouver's sidewalks? Tell me in the comments because I'm hungry!
http://www.beyondrobson.com/food/201...comment-655493

A 'news item' from Beyond Robson. So we want to emulate Portland's foodie scene. Looking forward to seeing this happen. From what I've read (perhaps here on this site), bricks-and-mortar eateries are not very happy about this, since they might steal customers away from them without the overhead and costs that they have to go through.

Does anyone know where to find more info about this pilot project?

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 8:15 PM

An excellent discussion on the street food scene here:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2010/05/v...d-vendors.html

Mexican seems to be preferred by many

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 6:28 AM
Dérive-r

I'm excited about this. Can't wait to see what turns up.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 4:50 AM

Roaming Dragon ready to roll

By Mia Stainsby, Vancouver Sun
June 15, 2010 8:11 PM

Vancouver City Hall should be rolling out its liberalized street food plans any day now.

And Jason Apple and Jory Simkin are ready, with sleeves rolled up. They’re ambitious and they’ve got a business plan ready to go.

So far, they’re proprietors of Roaming Dragon, a 25-foot gourmet food truck that began selling pan-Asian foods at Richmond’s Summer Night Market last week, with food by consulting chef Don Letendre, who, until recently, was the executive chef at the city’s hip boutiquey Opus Hotel.

They entice with fried rice balls, Chinese pork bun sliders, Korean short-rib tacos, Asian duck confit salad and Japanese chicken karaage, $6 bucks a pop or two for $10.

That’s so far.

The business partners also set up Gourmet Syndicate, set to provide wannabe street food vendors with start-up services up to and including turn-key trucks or carts. They have Letendre as food consultant, graphic artists to come up with logos and graphics for trucks or carts that they can outfit quickly with whatever’s needed – fryers, cappucino machines, freezers, fridges, grills, sous vides, whatever it takes.

Food trucks and carts have taken cities like Los Angeles and Portland by storm, especially since the recession pounded people’s pocketbooks in the U.S. as well as taking the stuffing out of restaurants. There are an estimated 70 gourmet food trucks in L.A. and the city even boasts a “bustaurant” or restaurant in a bus. All of a sudden, a good-deal meal, has become very attractive and businesses are busting out niche concepts. New York has a Big Gay Ice Cream Truck (described by The Village Voice as a cross between Mister Softee and Mario Batali, the product combines the soft ice cream cone with toppings like wasabi pea dust, dulce de leche, olive oil and sea salt). In Washington, DC, there’s an Indian food truck complete with a travelling culinary carnival circus act. In San Francisco, a 1957 Greyhound bus was converted into the first “bustaurant” and another’s set to open later this year. Toronto is in the second year of a three-year pilot project introducing ethnic and sustainably-sourced foods on city streets.

In L.A., a two-hour parking bylaw requires food trucks to move on after that, creating a social networking system through cyber informarts, giving heads-ups on where these trucks will be.

“The whole street food scene is looking to create an indescribable sixth sense when looking to eat. We want to see this industry thrive. Vancouver deserves it,” says Apple.

mstainsby@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Str...#ixzz0qzLJzT00

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 5:03 AM

sounds cool can't wait

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 4:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
sounds cool can't wait
Me too. Vancouver is a great foodie city, something we have become known for and the move to good street food could carry our reputation further. I also feel it's more than just about food and as much about culture and a more lively downtown.

Very exciting me thinks.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:33 PM

I see a Hunky Bill's truck coming soon to a hood near you!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 7:52 PM

I wonder if the trucks still need to plug the meter when parked and serving food..

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 11:45 PM
testify

wow, a trio of whites selling crypto-asian food from a truck! it makes the news! hehe.

an aside, down in sf, which has had trucks for years, the new interest of these sorts of youngish folks has pushed 'cart food' in all sorts of directions - just this weekend, there was sunday streets in the mission yesterday, local flavors market saturday, dirty-dishes (with carts setting up in bars) on thursday, and that's just the ones i hit. there's the fabric8 gallery food festival and homegrown festival, the mammoth underground market once a month, etc. basically, the food cart deal in sf, pushed by the same sorts of food entrepreneurs, have taken this thing pretty far forward.

in this sense, seems to me that no-funland ought to seriously rethink the draconian restrictions on these things, and high permitting cost. if it can thrive down in high-rent sf without killing restaurants and people, why not go for it?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 12:37 AM

aren't they illegal in SF though? and they are always having to dodge the police?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 12:39 AM

City seeks to expand street meat horizons

JEFF HODSON
METRO VANCOUVER
June 21, 2010 5:17 a.m.

Vancouver wants to add some zest to its street cuisine — salmon, tacos, Korean BBQ, anything but hotdogs.

For the next week and a half, the city is accepting applications for new food carts at 17 locations.

“We have such a vibrant city with such a huge, multicultural food culture here,” said Coun. Heather Deal, who first proposed expanding the food vending program in 2008.

“Having that (food culture) not reflected in the streets was frustrating for me, because one of my favourite things is a lively street scene.

“I want to hear music.

I want to see great food. I want to see people walking around — this is before the Olympics. Now I really want to see it.”

Deal said her original proposal met with some resistance, despite what was happening in other cities.

In Portland, the most bandied comparison, the multiplicity of street food includes Vietnamese and Mexican cuisine, smoked pork sandwiches, paninis and flatbread.

Deal expects a fair number of applicants for the 17 licences. High-demand locations will be determined by lottery.

Also, while the majority of the licences will be kiosks, like traditional hotdog or nut stands, three of the sites will be curbside. This will allow movie-style catering trucks and should vastly increase the variety of food available, Deal said.

http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/lo...-meat-horizons

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 1:05 AM
BANNED

Here's another article from the Sun:

Vancouver is calling on vendors who want to sell nutritional and diverse food on city streets to submit applications before the end of this month.

Those who want to sell hot dogs, packaged ice cream, popcorn, pretzels, soft drinks, chips and candy bars are not encouraged to apply.

"Vancouver is a world-class city, and it's time we had a street food scene that reflects the diversity of the people who live here," Mayor Gregor Robertson says in a release. "Having a wide variety of culturally diverse and health food options on our streets adds to the vibrant and enjoyable nature of our city."

Applicants should indicate their menu offerings and up to three preferred locations. A lottery draw on July 9 will match qualified vendors to as many as 17 new vending locations. They will be expected to start operations by July 31, the release says.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/C...#ixzz0rXW576qa

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining