HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 3:20 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I didn't see a general topics Saint John thread. All I saw was a development thread.
That's fair enough. SJ thread goes off the rails enough as is anyway.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 6:03 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Could I get a few people to offer an opinion as to which is the best public transit system in NB?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 10:10 AM

We don't really have many options, but I suspect just go by city size and that would give it to you. Codiac > Saint John > Freddy Transit.

Freddy, it will get you where you want to go; as long as you have a couple hours to spare to get there... and as long as you don't want to go on Sundays.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 10:31 PM

Don't forget Miramichi transit!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 10:35 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
We don't really have many options, but I suspect just go by city size and that would give it to you. Codiac > Saint John > Freddy Transit.

Freddy, it will get you where you want to go; as long as you have a couple hours to spare to get there... and as long as you don't want to go on Sundays.
Why, how long would it take on Sunday?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 12:21 AM

Until Monday morning, they do not run on sunday.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 12:35 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Oh wow, I forgot that there are places that do that. I think that's also what they do in Sydney though.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Until Monday morning, they do not run on Sunday.
The Miramichi Transit is odd 3 lines, and run on an hourly schedule...
Last I seen anyway.

Din't the Mirimichi transit start with one person, and a second hand bus though?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Oh wow, I forgot that there are places that do that. I think that's also what they do in Sydney though.
Freddy only got hourly service this year.

On weekdays there was a 90 minute gap around 7PM or so IIRC... And Saturday was 2 hourly at best through most of the day.

I'm really hopeful we might be able to convince them to go for Sunday service soon; but I'm not holding my breath. They need to save money to rent empty bars for 3 months of a year after all.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Freddy only got hourly service this year.

On weekdays there was a 90 minute gap around 7PM or so IIRC... And Saturday was 2 hourly at best through most of the day.

I'm really hopeful we might be able to convince them to go for Sunday service soon; but I'm not holding my breath. They need to save money to rent empty bars for 3 months of a year after all.
The Money they used could have had the buses on the road longer hours.

In Moncton there are still people fighting to get the bus system, or should say the new system back to there place. I had a friend who use to take the bus to work from home along with a large number of people when the new system came to be they cut service to many areas claiming nobody ever used the bus.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 5:19 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
City size doesn't really have anything to do with effectiveness, though (IE more buses =/= more effective, especially if routes or times are bad). Can it even be consensus that Codiac is superior to SJT? They're all pretty weak IMO.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 3:06 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Codiac seems to be plagued by quite a few of the one way loop routes while Saint John doesn't. Although I haven't studied them that extensively.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 3:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Codiac seems to be plagued by quite a few of the one way loop routes while Saint John doesn't. Although I haven't studied them that extensively.
Codiac Transit has potential, but is poorly managed at present. A lot of the routes are circuitous and inconvenient.

Personally, I would maximize usage of the three terminals (Champlain, Plaza Blvd & Highfield) and put frequent express busses on, connecting these three points, with feeder routes supplying the terminals from the neighbourhoods. You could supplement this by having some direct routes on high density corridors (like Mountain Rd to downtown, or to UdeM and the hospitals).

I think many of the feeder routes to the terminals wouldn't necessarily require traditional big city busses. In some cases, passenger vans could be used to connect the neighbourhoods to the terminals. Interestingly, Riverview is planning on making some changes to the routes under it's control and may use passenger vans on some of it's routes.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 4:47 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I wonder how much money those van buses actually save. We have quite a few of them here, both for Access-a-bus, the bridge shuttle, private airport shuttles, etc. They seem to be fairly powerful and have stronger acceleration than the buses so I'd be curious how much of a fuel savings there would be. And I don't think the labour costs or maintenance would be much different, although I'm not too sure.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 7:09 PM

Quote:
I wonder how much money those van buses actually save. We have quite a few of them here, both for Access-a-bus, the bridge shuttle, private airport shuttles, etc. They seem to be fairly powerful and have stronger acceleration than the buses so I'd be curious how much of a fuel savings there would be. And I don't think the labor costs or maintenance would be much different, although I'm not too sure.
Even on a 15 minute loop where the savings would be is in the cost of fuel for a Van or minibus compared to a full sized bus, and MonctonRad I tend to agree with you, and even some of the drivers have said it to. The old Bus Routes where more suited for this city but still inconvenient on some parts, and with the new routes there are a lot of people having to walk more then 15 minutes to the nearest bus stop unlike what has been claimed that all bus stops are within 15 minutes walk. Not only that but they cut service to areas on the outskirts. They did add shuttles for some of those areas but only because people who are physically unable to walk complained.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 9:18 PM

Great article in the manatee today, completely took me by surprise!

http://themanatee.net/new-brunswick-...arers-counted/

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 9:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good stuff, bodes well for BPS and Cabela's.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Good stuff, bodes well for BPS and Cabela's.
A masterful segue, nicely done!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 1:06 PM

That article made me laugh...

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's no really good thread to post this, so I'll put it here.

Apparently NB will be getting a second area code by 2021. The new code will be 428.

So, within five years, we will need to get used to 10 digit dialing, including either 506 or 428 as the area code.

I guess this is progress.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces