HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:39 AM
robert die katze

Spent a week in Harlingen, Texas at the end of February/beginning of March to visit my parents.

Otherwise, Tel Aviv and Jerusalem this past December.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:37 PM
You had me at herro...

Spent a week in Amsterdam with a little trip to Ghent and Bruges last month. Been to Amsterdam many times, absolutely love the city. It's my home away from home.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:08 PM

Domestic: Milwaukee, WI. Very sleepy place. It was the middle of a business day and the streets were completely empty.

Abroad: Hamilton, Bermuda. Where do I sign? (Although I'm sure living and working there isn't as nice as visiting on vacation.)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:19 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I don't get to travel much. But last places I flew to about 9 months ago was Memphis, walked around downtown and took pictures and then drove into and stayed in Mississippi. And a different trip last year, I flew to Florida with my girlfriend at the time and stayed in the Space Coast - Titusville, FL which is right next to Cape Canaveral and when leaving we stopped and walked around in St. Augustine. I loved that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:42 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Cancun in December. I'm going to Fort Myers and staying on Sanibel Isle in a couple of weeks.
Looking to purchase a winter place from Estero, Bonita Springs to North Naples in the future. Checking it out while I'm there.
I think I'm priced out of Naples.
Dude, my parents have been visiting the Naples area for years and they are thinking about buying a house in Bonita Springs. It's a good value for the location. My dad gave me a tour of the area a couple of years ago when we went down together.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:18 PM

Spent the last 24 hours in the City of York in Northern England, very nice city it is too.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:17 PM

The last new city I visited was Bucharest, Romania 3 weeks ago. It was certainly an interesting place.

They style themselves the Paris of Eastern Europe. Certainly they have the boulevards and even an Arche de Triomphe (what triumphs Romania has had remains a mystery) but the place is a mess. There are some cool buildings from the Ottoman period and some more Parisian style gray piles interspresed with the kind of building that seems to have been pasted together over time with available materials that you might find in Athens, Cairo or Teheran. Cars are double parked all over the place, also on sidewalks. The telcom situation reminds of Buenos Aires with independently hacked and strung wires all over the place.

A lot the architecture is very Soviet in inspiration and the trams look like the ones in Saint Petersburg but even less well maintained. Service is very Eastern European as well.

The most pleasant surprise was that Bucharest seemed to have very few beggars and prostitutes. Considering how the rest of Europe is overrun with Romanians dominating those professions that left me to conclude that anyone in that line of work makes more money abroad than in Romania.

All in all I would describe Bucharest as a mix of the worst of Southern and Eastern Europe. Been there, done that, not going back.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:04 AM
BANNED

... duplicate

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Dude, my parents have been visiting the Naples area for years and they are thinking about buying a house in Bonita Springs. It's a good value for the location. My dad gave me a tour of the area a couple of years ago when we went down together.
Yeah Thanks for the reply.

I have been spending vacations in SW FL almost every winter in yearly for the last 20 years easy, Sometimes twice a winter because we had other younger family and friends to stay with in Bonita Springs who still live there now in the winter months.

I know the area well because of my past blood relative snowbirds I knew when the were still alive. Both sets of my Grand Parents set up shop in the area. One family was in Fort Myers and the other was in Marco Island, which to me too far south.

But they both passed away many years ago. and their property was sold off after their passing.

But I got to know the region and how far south it is and how popular it is with the Midwestern snowbirds and Canadians.

I have seen a lot of growth over the years of course but IMO Bonita Springs is ideally or most centrally located for us and at a proper price point.

Its close the Fort Myers International airport with multiple non stop flight options every day of the week from O'Hare. So its easy to get deep into SW FL and far enough below any major frost worry. Going there in January or February can be a whole world different than the panhandle that can and does freeze. I actually canceled a family vacation there this year in late January because it was below freezing every single day we planed to be there. We were looking for a cheap get away but if its only 20 degrees warmer than we were than we just rescheduled. That panhandle trip was supposed to be with the kids. The next trip is more property focused. We know the area we are looking at.

We have our favorite beaches already picked out. We know our favorite restaurants. We have no problem traveling 20 mins south to Naples to splurge.

I am convinced I don't need to be that close to the gulf. A ten to 15 min drive can get you to the beach and charted fishing there easy.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:26 AM

Milwaukee. Needless to say, got super fucked up.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:40 AM

Just came back from Bangkok Thailand and Shanghai China. Bangkok is one of my favorite cities in the world. Shanghai isn’t.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:10 AM

Boston. Went for my birthday, which coincided with the weekend of the Boston Tea Party anniversary. So we did a bunch of Revolutionary War related things; saw the tea Party re-enactment, did the Freedom Trail, etc. Generally ate a ton of food (requisite Boston cream pie, lobster rolls, and clam chowder) and went to the Harvard museum of natural history.

There’s a good chance I’ll end up in the Boston area after grad school, so we also tried to see some of the surrounding neighborhoods to get a sense of things, especially around Cambridge. I liked it, and I think I’d be happy living there.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:19 AM
West End & Riverside

Was just in Toronto, hadn't been in a couple decades. Very impressive what's happened!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
Domestic: Milwaukee, WI. Very sleepy place. It was the middle of a business day and the streets were completely empty.

Abroad: Hamilton, Bermuda. Where do I sign? (Although I'm sure living and working there isn't as nice as visiting on vacation.)
i stayed in the 3rd ward a couple weeks ago, and while it wasn't bustling, it seemed fairly nice (and with a few pedestrians here and there) granted it was in the upper 20s.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:20 AM
video et taceo

Edinburgh. Was a fantastical looming grey thing.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 1:03 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Just came back from Bangkok Thailand and Shanghai China. Bangkok is one of my favorite cities in the world. Shanghai isn’t.
What don't you like about Shanghai?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:32 PM
All man. Half nuts.

so far this year...

Washington D.C.
Seattle
Portland
Billings

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:45 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Spent two weeks in Hawaii - stayed in Honolulu and spent most of our time around Waikiki, Ala Moana area; spent three days in Kauai in Lihue area. Highlight was taking a helicopter tour of Kauai

This was shortly after the false missile alert but I figured if something actually happened we were in a great place to end it all, and if I managed to survive and not be burned to ash, I'd have one H#LL of a suntan. At some point I might try and post some photos.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:39 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Looks like we might go ahead with our planned cruise this fall; Haiti, San Juan and St. Martin.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 3:49 PM

Last "city" I visited was NYC(Manhattan).

Its a grand, stylish and buzzing place.

Ultimate urban experience. As someone in engineering, the infrastructure alone is just not seen anywhere else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions