HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:05 PM

^^

Whoever wrote that article needs to brush up on their sports history. Canada's first basketball gold medal at an international event was won by the men's team at the Unversiade in Edmonton...in 1983.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:58 PM

Eight NBAers among Canada Basketball TC invitees
The Canadian Press May 28 2018

VANCOUVER — Canada has invited eight NBA players to its training camp ahead of its upcoming regional FIBA Basketball World Cup qualifying games.

A pair of veteran centres — Tristan Thompson of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Kelly Olynyk of the Miami Heat — highlight a list that includes Indiana Pacers guard Cory Joseph and Denver Nuggets guard Jamal Murray.

Orlando centre Khem Birch, Golden State forward Chris Boucher, Dallas forward Dwight Powell and Memphis forward Dillon Brooks were also among the 18 invitees.

Missing from the list are rising star R.J. Barrett, who is about to embark on his varsity career at Duke University, as well as unavailable NBA players Andrew Wiggins, Trey Lyles, Tyler Ennis and Nik Stauskas.

Former Gonzaga star Kevin Pangos, 2013 first-overall draft pick Anthony Bennett and former Carleton standouts Phil and Tommy Scrubb will also be looking for a spot on Canada's roster.

Preparations for the World Cup qualifiers include a pair of exhibition games against China, in Vancouver on June 22 and Victoria on June 24.

Canada resumes World Cup qualifying with a first-place showdown against Dominican Republic on June 29 in Toronto, before concluding the first round against the U.S. Virgin Islands July 2 in Ottawa.

Canada:

Guard — Aaron Best, Toronto, Raptors 905 (G-League); Olivier Hanlan, Aylmer, Que., Austin Spurs (G-League); Brady Heslip, Burlington, Ont., Trabzonspor (Turkey); Cory Joseph, Pickering, Ont., Indiana Pacers; Kaza Kajami-Keane, Ajax, Ont., Raptors 905; Jamal Murray, Kitchener, Ont., Denver Nuggets; Kevin Pangos, Holland Landing, Ont., BC Zalgiris (Lithuania); Phil Scrubb, Richmond, B.C., Fraport Skyliners (Germany).

Forward — Anthony Bennett, Brampton, Ont., Maine Red Claws (G-League); Chris Boucher, Montreal, Golden State Warriors; Dillon Brooks, Mississauga, Ont., Memphis Grizzlies; Melvin Ejim, Toronto, BC UNICS (Russia); Andrew Nicholson, Mississauga, Guangdong Southern Tigers (China); Dwight Powell, Toronto, Dallas Mavericks; Tommy Scrubb, Richmond, S.S. Felice Scandone (Italy).

Centre — Khem Birch, Montreal, Orlando Magic, Kelly Olynyk, Kamloops, B.C., Miami Heat; Tristan Thompson, Toronto, Cleveland Cavaliers.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:28 PM

What's up with Andrew Wiggins? Can't get this guy to suit up.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:59 PM

No idea.

His mom won medals in Olympics, Commonwealth and PanAm games for Canada. You'd think he'd be on board with wearing the maple leaf. But he is a quiet guy with a reserved personality. This was maybe the main knock on him. Certainly when he was at Kansas.

Steve Nash declined late in his career due to back issues and saving himself for the team that pays him millions.

The time is ripe for Wiggins now. But he just simply may not care about suiting up for extra basketball.

I can see him walking away from the game after like 10 years. Like a Barry Sanders who walked away at the height of his career and on track to become the greatest of all time. Like Bjorn Borg.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:19 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
What's up with Andrew Wiggins? Can't get this guy to suit up.
https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/statu...47710205202432

"I will not be participating in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament with the Canadian Men's National Team in July. As my third NBA season approaches, I understand my increased role with the Timberwolves and dedication to the upcoming season must have my total focus. ... This was definitely not an easy decision and I fully support and wish Team Canada nothing but success this summer."

I'm torn. Canada is already qualified for the next qualification round for the FIBA World Cup, and even though their record does carry over I don't see how much Wiggins benefits directly from playing against the Virgin Islands and the Dominican Republic. On the other hand, the next qualifying round take places during the NBA season, so this will be his only chance to play for Canada this qualifying cycle.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
"I will not be participating in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament with the Canadian Men's National Team in July. As my third NBA season approaches, I understand my increased role with the Timberwolves and dedication to the upcoming season must have my total focus. ... This was definitely not an easy decision and I fully support and wish Team Canada nothing but success this summer."

I'm torn. Canada is already qualified for the next qualification round for the FIBA World Cup, and even though their record does carry over I don't see how much Wiggins benefits directly from playing against the Virgin Islands and the Dominican Republic.
How does it benefit Tristan Thompson? It's not about Wiggin's benefit. Wiggins is so full of shit, it hurts my feelings. But if they qualify for the Olympics, he'll run over somebody to get there.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:32 PM
The New Republic

The roster will definitely be stronger than what we had for the first window so we should be ok. One can only hope Wiggins climbs aboard when/if Canada move on to the next round as the games will get a whole lot tougher.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 11:28 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
One can only hope Wiggins climbs aboard when/if Canada move on to the next round as the games will get a whole lot tougher.
He can't, at least not for the FIBA World Cup qualifying. The next round of FIBA WC qualifying is during the NBA season. No teams will have access to any NBA players.

There's potential for NBA players to play for Canada in further Olympic qualifying down the road in June-August 2020 but Canada would have to qualify for the FIBA WC first, I think...

FIBA

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:24 AM
The New Republic

The new system will take a while to get used to. Judging by that graphic, qualifying for the World Cup is a pre-requisite if one wants to make it to Tokyo 2020.

In the World Cup (Americas Qualifiers) there's Round 1 and Round 2. We only need to finish in the top 3 of 4 teams (Canada, Dominican Republic, US Virgin Islands, Bahamas) to advance to Round 2. There's no chance that we won't. Assuming Canada makes it to Round 2, the games will be played over 3 'windows' listed below so you're correct about in being during the NBA season.

September 2018
November 2018
February 2019

A country's basketball depth will factor hugely in Round 2. Maybe that will work to Canada's advantage. Arguably only the US is deeper than us.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:28 AM
The New Republic

Regarding Wiggins, I suspect he's one of those guys for whom the national team/FIBA basketball was completely off the radar. A lot of US players are like that too. It's all about the NBA for them. I'm not sure we can count on Wiggins if we made it to China 2019 or Tokyo 2020.

Players like Thompson, Joseph, Murray came up through the system representing Canada. It's a source of pride for them and they predictably are the players that always seem to say 'yes' when Canada comes calling.

Last edited by isaidso; May 30, 2018 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:12 PM

I have to wonder though, did the 'Wolves put pressure on him to say no? Because now he's got that max deal and he under performed this season.

I really hope he returns to the fold with the national team. And let's hope RJ Barrett turns out to be a perennial all star type player. He seems to have more court presence than Wiggins does. He doesn't have a big personality either, but based on the few clips I've seen of him, he seems like he'll be a more assertive player at the next level. Plus, his dad is one of the brass running the national team so it's pretty much a given RJ will be suiting up for Canada.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:16 PM

Let's say Canada makes it through to 2020 in Tokyo, and assuming RJ Barrett is the real deal, what do you think their starting 5 will look like?

Joseph - PG
Barrett - SG
Wiggins - SF (if they take him despite skipping out on Q now)
Thompson - PF
Olynyk - C

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:04 PM
The New Republic

^^ That looks good to me although I'd put Jamal Murray in there ahead of Cory Joseph. He's still developing but has that 'it' factor that Joseph lacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I have to wonder though, did the 'Wolves put pressure on him to say no? Because now he's got that max deal and he under performed this season.

I really hope he returns to the fold with the national team. And let's hope RJ Barrett turns out to be a perennial all star type player. He seems to have more court presence than Wiggins does. He doesn't have a big personality either, but based on the few clips I've seen of him, he seems like he'll be a more assertive player at the next level. Plus, his dad is one of the brass running the national team so it's pretty much a given RJ will be suiting up for Canada.
As good as Wiggins is, it's still up in the air whether he'll turn into one of the league's elite players. I'm more excited about RJ Barrett tbh. He has an intense desire to win and will take over a game to get it done. He'll likely be too young for China 2019 and even perhaps Tokyo 2020 but he'll 100% be there for the national team.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:41 AM
The New Republic

Canada goes 3-0 at the FIBA Americas U18 group stage. They beat Argentina 92-75, Ecuador 115-75, and south American champion Chile 97-60. Canada plays Panama in the Quarter-Finals on Thursday.

http://www.fiba.basketball/americas/u18/2018/groups

2 years ago at this same tournament (in Chile) Canada led the USA in the gold medal game heading into the 4 quarter but lost. Many on that team got redemption a year later by beating the USA in the Semi-Final at the FIBA U19 World Cup. Canada went on to win gold at that tournament. Will history repeat or will Canada win gold at this tournament as well? Would be nice seeing as we're playing at home in St. Catharine's.

Courtesy of FIBA

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Canada goes 3-0 at the FIBA Americas U18 group stage. They beat Argentina 92-75, Ecuador 115-75, and south American champion Chile 97-60. Canada plays Panama in the Quarter-Finals on Thursday.

http://www.fiba.basketball/americas/u18/2018/groups

2 years ago at this same tournament (in Chile) Canada led the USA in the gold medal game heading into the 4 quarter but lost. Many on that team got redemption a year later by beating the USA in the Semi-Final at the FIBA U19 World Cup. Canada went on to win gold at that tournament. Will history repeat or will Canada win gold at this tournament as well? Would be nice seeing as we're playing at home in St. Catharine's.

Courtesy of FIBA
Any idea of the attendance for the tournament?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:16 PM

Would be amazing if they can pull it off at home.

I'm liking this gradual growth of the national team. The pipeline is getting stronger and stronger.

Maybe one day we can be perennial medal threats at Olympics and WC. And on the youth level.

Pan Am and Commonwealth is nice too.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Any idea of the attendance for the tournament?
They're not officially posting attendance figures for the matches. The St. Catharines Standard had this to say:

Quote:
Canada was 2-0 heading into Tuesday night's final preliminary round game against Chile after routing Ecuador 115-75 Monday. That game's attendance was 4,598, the largest crowd ever to watch a basketball game at Meridian Centre. The crowd included a large contingent of schoolchildren on field trips, and they made their presence felt, filling the building with noise from the opening tip to the final buzzer.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:04 PM

Utterly ridiculous that TSN or Sportsnet aren't carrying this tournament., considering all the crap on both networks. Send a couple of trucks down the QEW fer crissakes....

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:13 PM
The New Republic

Attendance at the St. Catharine's tournament is abysmal. Apart from that game peppered with school children, attendance was barely higher than friends/family of players, basketball coaches, and scouts from the NBA/NCAA schools. Maybe things will get better for the bracket games.

As far as broadcasts go, I've given up on Canadian media bothering to cover Canadian sports. Even when we do get coverage like we did for the Canadian Grand Prix, they just buy the feed from the British. There are no Canadian commentators at all. Can you imagine the British buying a Canadian feed for the British Grand Prix or Americans hiring Canadians to cover US Open tennis for them? Pathetic.

For those interested, you can get a free live stream of these games here (thank you FIBA): http://www.fiba.basketball/americas/u18/2018/videos

Last edited by isaidso; Jun 13, 2018 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:24 PM
ハルウララ

Canada beats Panama pretty handily so they get Puerto Rico in the Semifinals. PR barely beat Chile, a team that Canada more-or-less dominated in the group stage, so i'm expecting a win here. Unless something bizarre happens we'll likely see another Canada/US final.

Really great to see Canada becoming the solid #2 team in North America up and down through the men's programs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada