HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 10:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

woodbine is a pain it should be a hostel for international travelers with the bar downstairs

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 11:41 PM

No one seems to know so i’m guessing the Maclaren is owned by an out of town slumlord.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
woodbine is a pain it should be a hostel for international travelers with the bar downstairs
That would be fantastic. It would be a great location to show off the best side of the city to backpackers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
No one seems to know so i’m guessing the Maclaren is owned by an out of town slumlord.
On the McLaren, this harkening back to the glory days of the place makes me wonder if that hotel ever had any actual glory days? I was always under the impression that it was always kind of a no-nonsense, plain kind of joint. It doesn't give off any sort of faded glory vibe even though the structure itself is solidly handsome. That said, it would be cool to see it cleaned up a bit.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 1:43 AM

Is it still a hotel today?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 4:25 AM

I never set foot in there past the sushi restaurant, but it is a hotel of the SRO variety as I understand it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:56 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That would be fantastic. It would be a great location to show off the best side of the city to backpackers.

On the McLaren, this harkening back to the glory days of the place makes me wonder if that hotel ever had any actual glory days? I was always under the impression that it was always kind of a no-nonsense, plain kind of joint. It doesn't give off any sort of faded glory vibe even though the structure itself is solidly handsome. That said, it would be cool to see it cleaned up a bit.
It was a decent, respectable hotel for commercial travellers and the like, but nothing more. Similar to the Empire at the opposite end of Main Street.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 1:38 PM
BANNED

There is seemingly no interior photos of the McLaren at all.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 4:53 PM

I was saying glory days in the sense of when main street still had viable, walkable and vital street presence pertaining to the every day comings and going of the urban fabric. I liken the McLaren of yesteryear to the Humphrey inn of today?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
I never set foot in there past the sushi restaurant, but it is a hotel of the SRO variety as I understand it.
I'm pretty sure it's a form of low income housing, kind of like the bell hotel today without as much support staff.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:27 PM

I see it's on the city's nominated list for historical resources.

Main Street 554 McLaren Hotel 1910 N/A Map

Other than that, there is very little info about it anywhere. I suspect it's owned by somebody whose family bought it in the 60s and is now an absentee landlord sipping margueritas by the pool in palm springs. You get that a lot with the older buildings downtown.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It’s not the Woodbine, you can make up whatever rhetoric you want. They didn’t want to be bad neighbours and compete with Parlour, and go through the massive expense and complication of separating the spaces and building in tons of new plumbing (assuming landlord would even allow it, which knowing here - i doubt) when you can get a space around the corner that’s pretty ready to go.
This is true. The Woodbine’s presence didn’t scare them off any more than it stopped Berns & Black, Parlour, Fox & Fiddle, or La Roca from opening. And please don’t try telling me the closures of Berns & Black and Fox & Fiddle had anything directly to do with the Woodbine Hotel.

It’s tempting to imagine that some kind of geographical prohibition actually works, but somehow it does not seem to. There is one SRO bar within a block of Main and Higgins (the Mount Royal); 20 years ago there were five (Manor, Brunswick, Mount Royal, Bell, Patricia). Has the problems at Main and Higgins reduced by 80% since 1998? Is it 80% more amenable to revitalization now? Stand at this corner and tell me that everything will be better just as soon as the Mount Royal closes.

Is Portage Avenue and the surrounding streets any less menacingly littered with dysfunctional underclasses than it was before CentreVenture waved its magic wand and closed the St. Regis Hotel a few years ago? I can tell you it most certainly is not.

The Woodbine may very well have all kinds of liquor violations and life safety issues that should be addressed. They shouldn’t be ignored just because ‘it’s good to have a mix of people,’ or whatever. Believe me. And certainly a new buyer with deep pockets who wants to do something cool and more upscale with the place would be welcome. But it’s just far too lazy to imagine a single bar and vendor has such an influence in the revitalization of that area. The causes of neighbourhood revitalization are usually complex and various; the causes of decline are sometimes even moreso.

Regarding the McLaren, it certainly would have been modern in its construction (fireproof!) and amenities (an elevator!) when it opened in 1910, but I don’t think it was ever particularly opulent, or was trying to compete with the railroad company’s hotels. It was instead just a good mid-range hotel. Not oozing class like the Royal Alexandra, but definitely better than the older, modest-to-seedy places like the Occidental, the Albion, or the Seymour.

What’s interesting about the McLaren is how recently it held on before going full-on SRO. I remember hearing from a professor of mine that it was the first hotel in Winnipeg with a direct phone line and shuttle service to and from the airport. I can also remember visiting the upper floors there a few years ago, and the hallways on a couple of floors looked like they were renovated in the 1970s or early ‘80s… like they were still trying to attract a regular clientele.

Today it is owned by a numbered Manitoba company, who may or may not be the same people who owned it a decade ago -- a family who also owned the revolving Royal Crown Restaurant.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
Hey you could come to my bar anytime Recluse. You're not boring
Which bar? Curious, not being an ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Remember those Pincess adresses that got picked up some time back? Where one was burned down in the 60s and now wins the international "interacts with the street level" award?

I heard their plans and ideas, and saw some renderings (I think barcode is doing it). I have zero access to them at this point.

Initially i thought it would be a hands-on, good effort job to put safe units onto the market.

This will actually be one of the coolest projects in Winnipeg. Not the biggest, but so damn cool. Will share more if I can get solid info.
below!

Warehouse 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Lets park this is here

Exchange District infill,
The bigger building on the right is the Fairchild Lofts, really beautiful suites: http://www.corporatestays.com/en/can...airchild-lofts

Warehouse 1885 is an update and major redevelopment of the historical 104/108 Princess Street warehouses into updated loft-style apartment rentals in Winnipeg's Exchange district.

[img]
Like I said earlier, not big in terms iof size, but big in terms of vision. This will be a fun one to watch!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:22 PM

Winnipeg tends to roll up the sidewalk when it comes to late-night dining, so the new Wet and Dry Dept. in the Exchange District comes as a welcome addition. Formerly the wine bar above the Mitchell Block at 173 McDermot Ave., the space has been renovated and rebranded as separate restaurant, with a distinct menu that focuses on affordable, eclectic comfort food. It’s open Fridays to Sundays until 2 a.m.; to midnight on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Chef Sean McKay (who is also behind Mitchell Block’s more elevated Mediterranean bistro fare) lists mac and cheese, fried chicken, fish and chips, ribs and a caesar salad with veal sweetbread "croutons" among the new offerings — check out instagram.com/wetanddrydept for photos and menus.

McKay says the space still has a lounge vibe, with an expansive wine list, classic and cutting-edge cocktails and a beer list that includes selections aimed at "more frugal customers." (Hello, PBR!) He’s hoping it will be a hit with night owls and theatre-goers alike.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar....html?k=biHiNI

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Re: mclarin

its a sro hotel thats decently run has a nice bar... the vender closes at like 10 or somthing
its owned by a chinies guy that lives here in wpg in his 30's

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:33 PM

More of the big sign bases currently used for interpretive/historical signs are going up all over. Hopefully these are for wayfindong signage as was part of the Exchange streetscaping plans a few years back. The city really needs a unified wayfindimg strategy for all key pedestrian arenas like downtown, forks, villages. For pedestrians and vehicles.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:53 PM

^ The City engaged a consultant for a big splashy wayfinding strategy sometime back in the mid-00s. (That's where the "W" name for the skywalks came from) Implementation was kind of half-assed though, and the City failed to ever update it. There are still a lot of signs from that plan kicking around downtown, but it has probably been close to a decade since any new signage went up.

Honestly, if the City wants a wayfinding strategy, just go dust off the perfectly fine plan that was already completed and spend some money on new signs.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:57 PM

That plan (at least what was implemendted) only consisted of vehicular traffic destination/parking signs, and the underground/skywalk Walkway signs. Didn't have any visitor info type signs that show general maps, attractions, walking times etc. like you see all over Europe and many (/most) American/Canadian cities.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:59 PM

^ There sure are... the freestanding maps you see on city streets (there are still a few around IIRC) are from that plan. The graphics and maps are also still used in tourist information publications.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Winnipeg tends to roll up the sidewalk when it comes to late-night dining, so the new Wet and Dry Dept. in the Exchange District comes as a welcome addition. Formerly the wine bar above the Mitchell Block at 173 McDermot Ave., the space has been renovated and rebranded as separate restaurant, with a distinct menu that focuses on affordable, eclectic comfort food. It’s open Fridays to Sundays until 2 a.m.; to midnight on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Chef Sean McKay (who is also behind Mitchell Block’s more elevated Mediterranean bistro fare) lists mac and cheese, fried chicken, fish and chips, ribs and a caesar salad with veal sweetbread "croutons" among the new offerings — check out instagram.com/wetanddrydept for photos and menus.

McKay says the space still has a lounge vibe, with an expansive wine list, classic and cutting-edge cocktails and a beer list that includes selections aimed at "more frugal customers." (Hello, PBR!) He’s hoping it will be a hit with night owls and theatre-goers alike.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar....html?k=biHiNI
The wife and I really love the Mithcell Block. The food is outstanding. Will have to get up to the reno'd space for a look. We also enjoyed martinis up there!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
^ There sure are... the freestanding maps you see on city streets (there are still a few around IIRC) are from that plan. The graphics and maps are also still used in tourist information publications.
They have maps of the Walkway system on them as well as a few major attractions – but there aren't many of them, there's no directionality, no timing, and most of them are covered in rust.

This type of signage below is what I'm referring to, common all over the world. Many cities will have one design for everywhere for consistency, so people know what to look for, then allow different districts to put their logo up top.

We have these, and there's very few of them. The same map on everything with a "you are here" tag – not very good design. And again – it's only a Walkway map.

Last edited by buzzg; Aug 22, 2018 at 11:59 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan