HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 6:17 AM

I see this as the first line in a regional network that would eventually connect Maple Ridge and Abbotsford to Vancouver. To be an effective (fast) regional line, it should have as few stations as reasonably possible, so I've limited stations to town centres and post-secondary institutions (and yxx, but you only see town centres on this map).

This means stations are built in places that have significant development potential. I haven't drawn in stations at 128th street/80th ave and Sullivan (152nd street/64th ave) because they don't have a lot of strip malls.

I haven't added in frequent stations on the King George light rail line for the same reason. If the 104th/Guildford light rail line were extended to Fleetwood, I'd remove the stations at 140th street and 148th street as well.

I see development progressing around these lines just like it has in Vancouver, with little or no development in existing single family areas and intense development focused around just a few stations. If a station were added at 128th street/80th ave, there would be more development pressure on those remaining industrial lands. Maybe the employment centre there outweighs the higher speed of the line. I think it would have to be looked at closely.

Buildings only the stations that are going to be the focus of development reduces the trip time between regional centres without really reducing development potential. It's also cheaper.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:55 AM

It should be LRT NOT SkyTrain.
Three LRT lines : Scott RD station to Newton via 72nd, SS station to Newton via KG, and LRT down from SS to Langley possible via Guilford.

As far as east-west..........there should be BRT down 72nd and Nordel Way to AlexFrazer and then west to RAV. It would cost VERY little just the basic cost of cur-jumpers and HOV like#99. Also BRT from White Rock up to Alex Fraser using the same HOV and over to 29th Station in NW. Right now from WR to Metrotown is about 1&1/2 hours.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 11:23 PM

The BC Parkway draft design at the TranslInk website shows this around King George Station (note the bus lanes on King George Hwy and the new street on the south side of the station where that big development will be):

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Plans/Pub...ay_Upgrade.asp

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The BC Parkway draft design at the TranslInk website shows this around King George Station (note the bus lanes on King George Hwy and the new street on the south side of the station where that big development will be):

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Plans/Pub...ay_Upgrade.asp

i hope that road does get built it would ad more intersection on king george along with the other to roads they want to add to down between 102 and 104
it would really help with there goal on making king george more traffic calm
that and them adding a double lane to 140 all the way around like they plan

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 3:30 PM

That was posted in the Canada line and others thoughtfully pointed a particular part out, around 25:10 where they start talking about the other lines. Didn't want to go OT in that thread so I'm posting this here too. Major things I gathered were that they are *changing to 104th instead of 100th*, things are going well(or at all, unlike the poor evergreen line when it was at this stage I guess), and that they might be moving it and the UBC line up as well as building them simultaneously?

Errr. edited after a durrrr moment >.>"

Last edited by usog; Mar 29, 2009 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 7:39 PM

Note he said 104 to 152 then to Fraser hwy
its around 26 min into the video

just thought i'd put that out there so people who dont see the video and still think 100th is the route they might use. they know what has been said now

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
Note he said 104 to 152 then to Fraser hwy
its around 26 min into the video
Call me stupid but I thought the extension was ending at Guildford Mall?

Why 104? Easier to put up the line? It will make King George a big U turn, but oh well. The sooner it gets built the better.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

As for the U-Turn, depends on whether they use that hydro ROW or whether they install a wye north of Surrey Central Station for a branch line along 104th. I would hope that they plan it so that from King George, a branch line can run south past the hospital and on to Newton.

If they do, I could see them running single track service from gateway through Surrey Central to King George during construction.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Call me stupid but I thought the extension was ending at Guildford Mall?

Why 104? Easier to put up the line? It will make King George a big U turn, but oh well. The sooner it gets built the better.
its ending in fleetwood on the fraser hwy

that area where the IGA is maybe? maybe not that far but somewhere out that way

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 10:40 PM

164 street i believe is where its set to end so sort of just after the rec centre

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 4:04 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
here's my thoughts:

firstly, put in a Broadway/Commercial style crossover to join the two stations at Surrey Central, then run the new SkyTrain line down 104 Avenue to Guildford. Put the Guildford station above the skywalk section of the mall, then make the train turn onto 152 street and follow the plan from there.
I like your idea of connecting Guildford from Central City...it makes more sense.

Just found this from another site..

Just a quick question...is the King George Line planned?

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Just a quick question...is the King George Line planned?
Consider it up in the air. City planning was for an "L"-shaped LRT line from Guildford through Surrey Central and then south on King George. The SkyTrain extension changes that. The impact won't be known until the design is finalized. i.e. will the SkyTrain extension include a wye that allows for a SkyTrain branch down King George or will that still be LRT?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 9:00 PM

Personally i would continue Skytrain to Netwton and than along the rail right of way to Cloverdale and on to Langley. This route is 19.43km long while Falcons is 17.95km long, thats only a 1.48km difference, not significant. This route would be better for White Rock, South Surrey, Cloverdale and their fare grounds, and the King George Corridor including Newton, plus Delta. They can then make a Spur line From Surrey central to Guildford and the highway with a major park and ride facility at the 104th and 160th.

I think this way is better and it only adds 1.48km on to the trip from Langley to Surrey while saving time for lots of other people. It also would add another 3.4km on to a Langley - Guildford trip but that still ok and its again offset with the benefits to other travelers.
edit: it would actually add 8.86km on to the Langley to Guildford trip which is more significant especially if your going to Coquitlam but again it makes that up with South Surrey, Delta travelers.

Last edited by cornholio; Apr 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Consider it up in the air. City planning was for an "L"-shaped LRT line from Guildford through Surrey Central and then south on King George. The SkyTrain extension changes that. The impact won't be known until the design is finalized. i.e. will the SkyTrain extension include a wye that allows for a SkyTrain branch down King George or will that still be LRT?
Surrey is getting a B-Line service starting next year following that route. Eventually it'll be upgraded to median LRT on King George Hwy to south Surrey.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 10:53 PM

its possible to be skytrain down king george but no real plans have been finalized on what it truely is going to be
The B-line is the first then when needed more it will look into what is more right for the area it could be either skytrain or a street level lrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Personally i would continue Skytrain to Netwton and than along the rail right of way to Cloverdale and on to Langley. This route is 19.43km long while Falcons is 17.95km long, thats only a 1.48km difference, not significant. This route would be better for White Rock, South Surrey, Cloverdale and their fare grounds, and the King George Corridor including Newton, plus Delta. They can then make a Spur line From Surrey central to Guildford and the highway with a major park and ride facility at the 104th and 160th.

I think this way is better and it only adds 1.48km on to the trip from Langley to Surrey while saving time for lots of other people. It also would add another 3.4km on to a Langley - Guildford trip but that still ok and its again offset with the benefits to other travelers.
edit: it would actually add 8.86km on to the Langley to Guildford trip which is more significant especially if your going to Coquitlam but again it makes that up with South Surrey, Delta travelers.

also i dont think both lines should attach
i more would go for this
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...99,0.2211&z=12

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 11:04 PM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
its possible to be skytrain down king george but no real plans have been finalized on what it truely is going to be
The B-line is the first then when needed more it will look into what is more right for the area it could be either skytrain or a street level lrt

also i dont think both lines should attach
i more would go for this
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...99,0.2211&z=12
I support that with some small tweeks:

- The Langley extension line should start from Surrey Central station.

- The White Rock extension line will continue off from King George station. However, it makes more sense that it follows King George Hwy all the way until 152nd and go south from there to White Rock Centre. That's where the major population reside within that area.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 11:38 PM

they would certainly hit more people with the red lineup - more trailer parks and newton is quite busy - gets closer to strawberry hill area too - easier to get there anyway from newton than king george

my friend lives in fleetwood - works on scott road - recently started there - he has to catch a bus to king george - get the skytrain to scott road transfer to a bus to get to scott road - near 80th ave - driving takes about 15-20 mins depending on traffic - it takes him he said 90 minutes if hes lucky

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 11:40 PM

My money is one grandview really growing though

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 11:41 PM

for the strawberry hill area i would hope transit would use something like the B-line i made up a while back

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 11:42 PM

i could see the expo line being expanded and than complimented by an intense street car network

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure