HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 4:36 PM

Excited to Watch the Philly/Montreal game this afternoon. Normally I would cheer for Winnipeg, but until the end of the week I have the entire flyer's top line on my fantasy team so I need a blowout.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 7:53 PM

Because at least half of the Canadian teams are doing well, and as of today theres three ties! i thought id create a Canadian standings post and will try and keep it up daily:

Team GP Points

Montreal 17 24
Vancouver 17 24
Toronto 18 22
Ottawa 18 22
Winnipeg 16 15
Edmonton 16 15
Calgary 15 13

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:54 AM
Go Chiefs!

Wow... another nice win 3-0 vs the Rangers. Now 12-4-2.

Alex Galchenyuk is winning the Calder this year... That kid is UNREAL...
Tied for 20th in the NHL with 11 ES pts and got his 1st PP point tonight. And he's still playing only about 13 minutes... for now.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:30 AM
Editor

So, we both agree about the top 5 draft picks then. If you go back any year, it's almost always the same story. The top 5 or so players usually end up star players or very good players at least. After that it drops off significantly.

Sure, good scouting helps but you have to ask yourself.....if scouts knew that Markov, Zettetbrg, and Datsyuk would turn out to be the players they would, would they have waited that many rounds? Basically they didn't know or the would have picked them sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Some of the late round gems are European because there are less scouts there and sometimes very few teams are aware of that player's potential (see Datsyuk, Zetterbeg in Detroit). It's all about scouting!

Carey Price and Alex Galchenyuk are the two top 5 picks. One is an elite goalie in the NHL (top 5) while the other is on his way to become a superstar.

There were some good picks in there, but there are still more picks that didn't pan out.
Quote:
These 2 are supported by solid draft picks made by the club (or in Eller's case trades because they dealt a surplus at one position)... Max Pacioretty (1st round), Lars Eller (1st round, from Halak trade), Tomas Plekanec (3rd round), Andrei Markov (6th round), Brendan Gallagher (5th round), PK Subban (2nd round), Emelin (3rd round)
For every Chicago or Pittsburgh that has built a Stanley cup team on high draft picks, there are two that have done the opposite.

Good mgmt is where cups are won. Take Atlanta for example....they'd drafted high year after year and had drafted some very good players....ten years later they're still a below 500 team. Same for the Islanders. Other teams like Florida and Columbus continuously drafted high but most picks were a bust.
Good drafting and scouting is an integral part of that of course. Having the right coaching staff and the supporting players is also very important. Most often supporting players come in through trades and round out the missing pieces, and more often than not it's those supporting cast players that come up big during playoff runs..

Nicko, I'm not saying drafting isn't important, I'm just saying overall mgmt is what really counts. I'm also not saying Montreal's mgmt isn't good. They've drafted some good players....time will tell.

Quote:
The draft weekend are the 2 most important days in a season. That's where all Stanley Cups are won.

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Feb 24, 2013 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 6:10 AM
Editor

Nice to see the Flames pick up a win and score more than 1 goal. BTW, this is the first time the is season the Flames have won a game without scoring less than 4 goals.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 7:16 AM
Go Chiefs!

Now 2nd in the NHL (I know, I know... games in hand)!

We're now 8-2-2 since Subban signed his contract... so with Markov and Subban in the lineup.
Our D has contributed for 41 pts, a league best.

EDIT: We're now set for the future with an "elite" player at all 3 positions for the next 10+ years... Carey Price (G), PK Subban (D), Alex Galchenyuk (F)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 2:59 PM

You're ready to classify Galchenyuk as an elite player for years to come already? Isn't this what Leaf fans get crucified for every year?

Anyway I think Huberdeau is going to give him some stiff competition for the calder, the kid's playing unreal on a line with no veterans.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 5:21 PM

Nicko, you really shouldn't be so modest all the time.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Nice to see the Flames pick up a win and score more than 1 goal. BTW, this is the first time the is season the Flames have won a game without scoring less than 4 goals.
The Flames looked good. If they could continue getting that solid goaltending, I could see them picking up more wins.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 8:50 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
You're ready to classify Galchenyuk as an elite player for years to come already? Isn't this what Leaf fans get crucified for every year?

Anyway I think Huberdeau is going to give him some stiff competition for the calder, the kid's playing unreal on a line with no veterans.
Not yet but in a year or 2 most likely. Just way too skilled not to succeed. It's not like we are overrating him, he's "supposed" to become elite. That's why he was picked 3rd overall.
Subban is not "elite" yet but he's improved tremendously this year (forced to play more of a team game).

As for Huberdeau, I agree. It's between Conacher, Huberdeau and Galchenyuk for the Calder right now. Too bad Tarasenko got injured.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Our D has contributed for 41 pts, a league best.
Fun fact, the Oilers D has produced 17 points this year. only 8 points if you take out J Shultz's points

this team...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 11:08 PM

and detroit scores on the pp on what has to be the most ridiculous goaltender interference call in nhl history.

lots of goals so far.

Garrison almost never makes a smart pass out of his own end. frustrating to watch our big signing totally lost out there.

End of 2nd now and the Canucks are down 5-3 in what has to be the worst reffing i have ever seen. The Dale Weise penalty was actually more ridiculous than the first ridiculous call. What an embarrassment for the league.

Last edited by logan5; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:04 AM
Editor

Nice comeback Flames! A rare win against Phoenix....that must be what our, our 3rd win ever against them.

I liked what I saw, and that was the Flames not giving up. They earned every goal they scored.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:04 AM
Editor

Tomorrow's newspapers should be full of Luongo trade talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
and detroit scores on the pp on what has to be the most ridiculous goaltender interference call in nhl history.

lots of goals so far.

Garrison almost never makes a smart pass out of his own end. frustrating to watch our big signing totally lost out there.

End of 2nd now and the Canucks are down 5-3 in what has to be the worst reffing i have ever seen. The Dale Weise penalty was actually more ridiculous than the first ridiculous call. What an embarrassment for the league.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:07 AM

That was a good comeback. Iggy with two goals. Looked iffy there for a bit but they really turned it around. Says a lot about the team, hopefully they can build on it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:12 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
That was a good comeback. Iggy with two goals. Looked iffy there for a bit but they really turned it around. Says a lot about the team, hopefully they can build on it.
They deserved the win, but for a moment there when Phoenix went ahead, I was thinking "gad damn f-ing Phoenix!...what's it going to take to finally beat these guys??"

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:14 AM

Quote:
They deserved the win, but for a moment there when Phoenix went ahead, I was thinking "gad damn f-ing Phoenix!...what's it going to take to finally beat these guys??"
Yep, they can shut it down like no other. Flames rose above it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah I thought the same thing, was great to see Iggy tie it up and Glencross pot the winner.

There was some strange officiating in the game tonight, the inconsistency across the league needs to be addressed, this is getting ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Nice comeback Flames! A rare win against Phoenix....that must be what our, our 3rd win ever against them.
It will be even rarer after this year once they relocate to what now looks to be like Seattle for next season!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
It will be even rarer after this year once they relocate to what now looks to be like Seattle for next season!
I want to see a team in Seattle really badly, that would make for an instant rivalry with Vancouver. That being said QC should definitely get a team first!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada