HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 9:06 AM
Give us a kiss

Hanoi (Hà Nội)

Two and a half days was a little short so we tended to stick to the more touristy areas around Hoan Kiem lake. Thankfully there is plenty to see there, and even though it is fairly touristy it remains a functioning neighbourhood. I instantly fell in love with the streets and café (cà phê) culture.

1. Next to every building in the older parts of town looks like this - tall, long and narrow. Our hotel in the Old Quarter had all the rooms aligned behind each other connected by a long corridor, with no windows.

2. Hanoi traffic. Given the Hanoians' love affair with honking, maybe the absence of windows is a blessing after all.

4. This trip made me reconsider the amount and nature of what can be hauled on a scooter

7. Hoan Kiem is the medium-sized lake (for the city - there are a bunch of others, some quite a bit larger) which anchors the Old (north) and French (south) Quarters. It did feel oddly European - or an Asian take on Europe, maybe.

(yes, dude is carrying a homebrew rocket of some kind)

11. The Old Quarter

16. The market

25. Don't smoke, kids

40. If you've been to Paris, this may look familiar

50. This is one of a few places that really reminded me of downtown Papeete

52. These guys were shooting a movie in a downtown park

72. When I remarked I'd rather read Engrish than Comic Sans, the girlfriend called me a font snob

73. These tracks are active and cut through a very central neighbourhood, on the way to the main station

76. Modern Hanoi is rising on the periphery

77. Not always in the greatest taste

78. These guys were everywhere, must be quite popular. Probably have been for a few decades too, judging by the haircuts.

79. Those orderly signs are pretty amusing considering we passed a scooter carrying a family of four salmoning through traffic not 5 minutes before (sadly, I was too slow with the camera).
On a related note, there are many traffic cops in Hanoi, but I haven't figured out what you have to do to get stopped.

80. The infamous "Hanoi Hilton", now improved with condo towers

81. Time to leave already. Thanks for watching!

We spent the rest of our stay in more rural parts of Vietnam, so I probably won't post anymore threads around here. If you liked Hanoi you should go check the most excellent Vientiane and Kuala Lumpur threads by AX and Kilgore, southeast Asia is taking SSP by storm these days!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 11:30 AM

Simply Amazing! The food, the color, the chaos, the people, the smiles

I love it. Thank you big_T

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 11:46 AM
Honored Member

Stunning! Thanks for posting these.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:47 PM

Wonderful thread! I haven't been to Hanoi myself, and I somehow miss it. After starting with very relaxed Thailand and Laos, continuing to Cambodia and southern Vietnam, I didn't feel like I should continue in this noise and hassling crescendo all the way to Hanoi. After I returned though, I felt that I was missing this crazy country... I know I shouldn't base myself on what most people say, but it must be pretty touristy and hassling up there!

Loved the photos though! what an experience!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:31 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Incredible place and photos.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:08 PM

Unhealthy yet stunningly beautiful.

A vestige of French colonialism, a Citroen Traction Avant!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:25 PM
Up Up and Away

A great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 4:44 PM
Give us a kiss

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AX- View Post
Wonderful thread! I haven't been to Hanoi myself, and I somehow miss it. After starting with very relaxed Thailand and Laos, continuing to Cambodia and southern Vietnam, I didn't feel like I should continue in this noise and hassling crescendo all the way to Hanoi. After I returned though, I felt that I was missing this crazy country... I know I shouldn't base myself on what most people say, but it must be pretty touristy and hassling up there!

Loved the photos though! what an experience!
Honestly Hanoi was very different from what I expected. Yes there are tourists, but even in the old quarter with all its hostels and tourist trap shops I always felt the area was ultimately belonging to and used by locals first and foremost. Contrast with say Sapa in the north (starring point for most hikers in the northern mountains), which I thought was terrible due to being essentially a large tourist town.

Of course I haven't been to Thailand, but I would be surprised if Hanoi was significantly more touristy than Bangkok. I would love to see Cambodia and Laos too like you did! I'm hoping you have a Phnom Penh thread coming!

As for the noise and big Asian city hustle and bustle, from what I've heard Hanoi is nothing compared to Ho Chi Minh city. Despite all the motorbike traffic and incessant honking, I found it very approachable and a joy to explore by foot (not always a given in Asia).

Ivymike - yes the vestiges of French colonialism are everywhere in central Hanoi. I enjoyed that they don't seem to play them up too much for the tourists (well in some case they do a bit), overall it's been assimilated as an integral part of the built environment (like the white-on-blue civic number signs on buildings) and culture (café, baguette bread).

Thanks again everyone!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:01 PM

Great shots. I remember you saying you were heading to Vietnam a while back. Cool to see your take on the city. You definitely saw a lot more than I did. I had one day to wander about the old center. I didn't think it was too touristy. Ho Chi Minh was busier, louder and more chaotic. The scale of the old town in Hanoi seemed to dampen some of the activity. Did you try some of the Bia Hoi?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 6:01 PM
Illustrator, editor

Hanoi looks charming. A bit gritty, but that makes it interesting!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 6:23 PM

Thanks for the pics! What a vibrant looking city. I spent a few days in Saigon/HCMC, but never made it up to Hanoi.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 9:07 PM

Hanoi looks like a very interesting place. You did a great job, thanks!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 6:42 AM
Give us a kiss

Thanks guys!

Yes I spent a few thousand dongs (which I guess isn't saying much!) in bia hoi. (these are corner joints that serve lower quality light beer, often in glasses with ice cubes in my experience). That and the cafés are the aspects of the street life I really enjoyed.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 10:31 AM

^ The streetlife is what makes Vietnam special. It's everywhere. It's constant. It's 24-7. Interestingly, it's that quality that also makes it a difficult place to live as peace and quiet are very much abstract ideas.

Anyway, thanks for the tour!!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 11:14 AM

Very captivating photos, bravo! I've been intrigued by Vietnam lately. It's interesting to see the Chinese influence, hints of French colonialism grandeur, but undoubtedly distinctive Vietnamese flair. Such beautiful culture, and intense urban experience, Hanoi must have been the ultimate thrill.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 7:30 PM
菠蘿油

wow. i spent a week in saigon two and a half years ago. i loved it. i was with a friend who speaks vietnamese, which made things a lot easier -- i got the sense that it isn't the most rewarding city if you're just an ordinary tourist. hanoi looks more accessible.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 8:16 PM
International

a place i need to hurry up and get to. thanks for the tour! if i could somehow pull money out of thin air, a SE Asia tour would definitely be in short order.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 6:00 AM

Just amazing!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 3:05 PM
Give us a kiss

thanks everyone!

yes hanoi was really something else. like pete said the city is buzzing 24/7, although it does get a bit quieter in the early hours. overall, totally my kinda place.

kilgore, i'd love to go to saigon and compare. i heard that hanoi was more accessible too, i guess the tight old city and wealth of colonial architecture really help.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 5:40 PM

Brings back wonderful memories, thanks for posting. The french influence, yellow stucco and overhead power lines seem to define Hanoi architecturally. Countless streets and alleyways to explore and very friendly people throughout. Despite the colorful photographs of produce in motion, I was surprisingly disappointed with the cuisine - somewhat unidimentional based on pho. The city clearly does not have the depth of Bangkok or even Saigon in the food department. I loved the street trees growing everywhere framing neighborhoods, adding texture and providing needed shade. These street trees seem to differentiate Hanoi from most other cities - at least in my memory. I wish we could plant and grow as many here. And I agree that the noise is deafening. It may not be as loud as Saigon or Cairo, but it's certainly a salient feature of Hanoi life. I remember sitting on my 4th floor hotel balcony overlooking a major street. It was funny to hear the noise escalate when a stampede of scooters was released by a traffic light.
I also remember Ho Chi Minh's tomb and little cottage. After reading up on this inspirational man, it's embarrassing to think what we did to him and his country. And yet the viet cong veterans milling around the tomb still smile graciously and had no problem having their picture taken next to somebody in a Yankees baseball hat!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos