HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:38 AM
ハルウララ

20,953 for both matches IIRC because of doubleheader sales. I believe they're now allowing individual sales for games to fill some gaps. Big crowd for both matches despite the blowouts. Was sat way up near the top of South Stand and still had a great view of the pitch. Difficult to find a bad seat at Lansdowne.

Actually, I was impressed enough with the stadium (and the play of the girls of course) that I purchased tickets for the Knockout Round game in Ottawa on the 20th which should surely be a sellout.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 1:55 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I totally agree, I think we "deserved" the win because we tried to make a game of it but that call was a cheapy and one of the things I would love to see changed in soccer (penalties in the box).

It was a very literal interpretation by the ref so I can live with it but I hate to win that way. Soccer and its differing rules interpretation makes it one of the most unfair games in the world.
Yeah, one of these days they'll mandate a dedicated ref for quick video replays so there's more accuracy in calls, other than that I'm fine with the rules.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 2:09 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
But this "foul" anywhere in the penalty box business, which basically amounts to a free goal regardless of whether the person "fouled" had a realistic chance of scoring, is one of the reasons why I can't fall in love with soccer. And I personally would not want to win that way, unless it was truly the case that but for the foul we would have had a realistic chance of scoring (in the same way penalty shots are awarded in hockey when, and only when, a player has a clear breakaway). But even then, I think the penalty shot spot is much too close to the goal and gives a grossly inordinate advantage to the shooter and is tantamount to giving a free goal to the "fouled" team.
But it doesn't amount to a free goal. Not in the slightest. If the goalie is good enough, they sniff out the kick and it makes for an even more exciting match. I wouldn't change that.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 2:24 PM

The US has been a huge ticket seller. Look for 30 000 plus to their two games in Winnipeg and around 50 000 to their game at BC Place. All three games have very limited tickets left if any.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 3:36 PM

Lots of tickets left for all the remaining games in Edmonton. Should be close to 40,000 for Thursdays games. There's not a whole lot of available tickets left, but one half of the upper deck hasn't been opened yet.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 10:24 PM

Noticed a lot of American tourists on foot in downtown Winnipeg & Osborne Village this afternoon. Lots of out of town plates (saw MN, IL, MO, KS, ND) driving around town, it's nice to see.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 11:33 PM

Good news on the ticket sales front. Theyve sold over 1 million. Last week ticket sales were at 920 000.

@FIFAWWC: BREAKING! One MILLION spectators are now booked to attend the #FIFAWWC #CAN 2015, with 47 games to go. THANK YOU! http://t.co/NuaucIr6Ie

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:32 AM

I'm at the USA/Australia game, and have people from Texas on one side of me and people from Minneapolis on the other. They were telling me there was a 4 hour wait at the border on the weekend. Also telling me how much they like the zoo and the human rights museum, and asking what else they should check out while they're in the city.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:56 AM

Vancouver looks 3/4 empty for the first game. They should at least give tickets away to local youth soccer/sports organizations to try and save face.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 1:03 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Investors Group Field looks fantastic in today's game! Great job with the turnout Winnipeg!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 1:15 AM

31 148 for both games in winnipeg today.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
Vancouver looks 3/4 empty for the first game. They should at least give tickets away to local youth soccer/sports organizations to try and save face.
Well yeah it was a 4pm game between cameroon and ecuador...Good turnout for Japan and Switzerland right now

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
I'm at the USA/Australia game, and have people from Texas on one side of me and people from Minneapolis on the other. They were telling me there was a 4 hour wait at the border on the weekend. Also telling me how much they like the zoo and the human rights museum, and asking what else they should check out while they're in the city.
I would recommend the Hermetic Code tour of the Legislature. It's only once a week on wednesday night at 6 pm. Have to book online.

Edit: Forgot the Jazz Festival starts today. Lots of free concerts at Old Market Square throughout the day. Various concerts at other venues including Burton Cummings Theatre, Union Sound Hall, Winnipeg Free Press Cafe, Maw's Beer Hall, King's Head, Cinemateque.

Last edited by blueandgoldguy; Jun 9, 2015 at 3:54 AM. Reason: add

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
31 148 for both games in winnipeg today.
The first two doubleheaders are sold out apparently. Have been for weeks. I think they lose a few thousand seats for some reason - maybe addional ad space, extra media, cameras? I've noticed blocks of empty seats at all the matches, sometimes in prime spots. I wonder if a certain number of seats are reserved for VIP types and FIFA gets a certain percentage of seats..kinda like how the IOC gets a certain percentage of tickets to the Olympic venues. In any case it's unfortunate because it appears they go unused.

Last edited by blueandgoldguy; Jun 9, 2015 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Investors Group Field looks fantastic in today's game! Great job with the turnout Winnipeg!
You can applaud the immense number of Americans who made the trip up here for the 2 USA group games... it was basically a USA home game. A lot of fan dedication on display, that's for sure... this is by far the largest contingent of away fans I've ever seen here that didn't hail from Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:40 AM
Community Guy

Winnipeg looked great.

BC place looks ok, but too large.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Winnipeg looked great.

BC place looks ok, but too large.
It won't look too large when big games roll in to town. Vancouver, perhaps because it's hosting the final, has a terrible line up of Group games. The US game should be big, but it's really the Quarters and Final that will draw big enough to fill the stadium. That's when nearly 60,000 seats will be necessary.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 4:39 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You can applaud the immense number of Americans who made the trip up here for the 2 USA group games... it was basically a USA home game. A lot of fan dedication on display, that's for sure... this is by far the largest contingent of away fans I've ever seen here that didn't hail from Saskatchewan.
Man, that's some fantastic exposure. 1 billion eyes watching this and tens of thousands of foreign tourists (albeit overwhelmingly American) per city who may not have checked them out otherwise. Canada's really putting some class into these games and the cities involved are really going to benefit from this. Also, it's only costing the government $15 million to host this nationwide! The benefit to BC's economy alone is supposed to be in the $52 million range, conservatively estimated, since the under-20 World Cup apparently generated over $300 million in extra tax revenues when we hosted it in 2007.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 4:48 AM

Everyone I know here at work is talking about the Japanese game today in Vancouver.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada