HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 6:34 AM

[Dartmouth] Harbour Isle | U/C

Credit: "Jonovision" on Page 2.

Height: Unknown
Floors: 17 (Hotel) - 3X9 (Residences)
Size: 25 Acres
Completion Date: Unknown
More Information: Includes 1'500 foot boardwalk, townhouses, shops, residences club, and restaurants/cafes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have much information on this project but i did find this:

Quote:
Sheppard’s Island project revamped
KEN PARTRIDGE
The Burnside News

The sign on the Windmill Road site was down and the door to the model suite was locked, but rumours of the demise of the Sheppard’s Island condominium project appear to be premature.

Joe Ross, president of GJR Developments, says the project is temporarily on hold while he works out the details of a new partnership with Milbourne Realty of Toronto.

Milbourne, an affiliate of Sotheby’s Estates of the World, wants to revamp the project into a true yachting community project. The first step in doing that is the recent purchase of an additional 11 acres adjacent to the current site.

Plans for the development are being redrawn to include a marina component and to provide better view planes on the harbour side of the condominiums. Additional waterfront buildings and a commercial centre along Windmill Road are also being added.

Those who have already put money down on the original project will have the first opportunity to roll their down payment over to one of the new units, before the project is reoffered to the public.

Ross says it was difficult to give up sole ownership of a project he has called a “dream come true,” but he says the improvements to the development are worth it.
Currently i know it is located on Windmill Road between Akerley and Wright and includes/included a mixed retail/office area with a residential upper-class building on the waterfront. If anyone has more information please post it. The sign on the road was up for years but no info was available about the project.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Nov 24, 2008 at 9:56 PM. Reason: Thread Title Change

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 1:37 AM

Since people are still talking about this on the rumors thread its time for a name change.

As a side note the cheapest condo available in this project is $180'000

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 3:12 AM

I drove by the site the other day and they have put up a big new billboard. Still nothing on it though. They were also building something on site. Maybe a sales centre?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 9:20 PM
we built this city

Amazing renders on the CTV news tonight, one of the hottest looking approved sites I have seen in Halifax... and its currently under development!!!!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 12:05 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Amazing renders on the CTV news tonight, one of the hottest looking approved sites I have seen in Halifax... and its currently under development!!!!
its actually under construction right now?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 12:20 AM

There has been some activity down there lately and there is something made of wood sticking out of the ground, so maybe the foundation?

Funny thing, I tried searching "Harbour Isle Halifax" in quotes and all that appeared were mine, someone123, and Jonovisions avatars....

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 12:46 AM

After an insane amount of digging i have found the Harbour East Community Council's report: click here dated July 25, 2008 so the information should still be valid. Here are some key points:

-3 Condo buildings (6-12 storeys)
-255 units.
-No construction at the time of the report.
-8.8 acres (3.2 water) Sheppard's Island another 1.8 acres)
-Has a development agreement but the company wants changes which would require a new agreement. Harbour East does NOT support these changes.

Thiis is what the developers want:
Building A: 9 stories (35ft) wavy glass apartment building with landscaping and a boardwalk.
Building B: 6-7 stroies mansonry building.
Building C: 12 stories mansonry building.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 12:23 PM

Is this the Harbour Isle project, or part of it? The Herald has an article today about "Harbour Isle" being approved. "Life Sucks" wasted no time posting some typo-riddled all lowercase nonsense. LOL.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1072167.html

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Is this the Harbour Isle project, or part of it? The Herald has an article today about "Harbour Isle" being approved. "Life Sucks" wasted no time posting some typo-riddled all lowercase nonsense. LOL.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1072167.html
I don't know, as I found the article very confusing as to exactly what they were talking about.

Having read the staff report on Sheppard's Island, the changes to the proposal let it look a lot better than the cookie-cutter red-brick boxes they were originally proposing. Staff recommended against it, though, so I dunno what's going on.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 4:27 PM

hearing 1 million plus for some of the condo's

Ask me thats a lot of scratch for a condo next to an industrial park.

Nice looking project though, might be a better fit nearer to downtown Dartmouth or Halifax. Nonetheless lets see what happens with.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 6:10 PM

Sheppard's Island and Harbour Isle ARE the same thing. When the new company bought the project the name was changed to Harbour Isle so naturally HRM didn't keep up with the name and kept it as Sheppard's Island.

From what I can tell one of the condo buildings was given the go-ahead. So yes this is part of the project. The rest still has to be approved.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 3:10 PM

Dartmouth gives the nod to Bedford plan
JENNIFER TAPLIN, METRO HALIFAX
August 12, 2008 05:00

A $300-million development for the Bedford Basin made it past the first approval hurdle.

Harbour Isle on Wright’s Cove will feature shops, a hotel, boardwalks, restaurants, condos and town homes.

The Ontario developer, The Yorkville Group, was given the nod by Dartmouth Council last week.

“We have received a wonderful response to our initial marketing campaign and we believe Harbour Isle will be a very positive major addition to the HRM including job creation, support for local businesses, and of course, additional contributions to the tax base,” said Charles Moon, president of the Yorkville Group in a statement.

“We are very pleased to be able to develop and create what the council envisioned recently with the planning initiatives to bring about a renaissance of this very special section of the HRM waterfront,” Moon said.

F

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 2:51 PM

I checked the website and it has yet to change, but today's paper had a new full page add for Harbour Isle. It has a aerial shot of the site with massing for the new buildings on it. It showed three building which would appear to have a modern design and most likely made of glass. They are only massings, but they do look pretty good. Two of the buildings were 8 storeys, and then there is a 15 storey point tower overlooking the marina.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 5:04 AM

Another new ad in the paper today. This time actually showing the 12 storey condo building. Looks pretty good actually. Has a nice glassy curve look to it.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 10:58 AM

They are also running radio ads for this project that, quite honestly, have one of the most annoyingly bad musical jingles I have ever heard. I would avoid the project (if I was previously interested) simply because of that awful ad.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 3:05 PM

Another new rendering in the paper today, so I thought I would scan it so you guys can see. It's actually really impressive. The type of thing I would expect at Kings Wharf.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 10:00 PM

Oh wow, that's awesome.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 11:27 AM

That looks too well-designed and modern to be approved in HRM. Where are the faux-Victorian precast concrete panels, the red brick, and the styrofoam cornices? ;-)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 3:11 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That looks too well-designed and modern to be approved in HRM. Where are the faux-Victorian precast concrete panels, the red brick, and the styrofoam cornices? ;-)
you must be thinking of the penninsula. See, this is Dartmouth where cool things can actually get approved

But all joking aside, Halifax has had some great projects approved even with the resistance. Has there actually been a project that's been shot down completely besides the midtown?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 4:04 PM
we built this city

Lol, I'm not sure if this phase of the development has been approved yet. I doubt there will be much opposition, although there was a group in the community that I think was initially against this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs