HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 4:58 AM

Tks.... just a bad day hitting the meds and them fighting back... don't be concerned... I look forward to your pics Dougall....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:13 AM

ill get you some pics from the tram opening this weekend!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:22 AM

looks pretty good to me... i liked the preliminary design for this tower that has been on the discovery center model for some time.

i think in the sowa, like in yaletown, the majority of glass towers will act like fabric buildings... all roughly based on the same model but each slightly different in appearance

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:30 AM

Are all the future OHSU towers going to be clinic/research or will there be a hospital in the mix? Anyone know?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:37 AM

i remeber a article talking about some specialized research that they were going to try and get into that would put OHSU among the best hospitals in the country. some fancy name like plasma or something ill try and find it

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:43 AM

didnt ohsu have blocks 24, 25, 28, 29?
now 28 is out.

so the rest of ohsu's expansion will be on the proposed ogi campus?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:46 AM

^^I understand that OHSU still is planning on 3-4 more towers next to their current tower but closer to the river. Yes, their classroom/labs/etc. will no doubt be a part of the ogi campus just north of their current tower.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 6:55 AM

Judging from the rendering, I think this one's pretty nice. At least it's not boxy, and I am glad to have a third 325-footer in the works.

I am not too concerned with the buildings all looking the same, but I do wish that we could have a few here and there that exceed 325' It seems weird to have 3 buildings in a row that are all exactly the same height.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsimon View Post
I am not too concerned with the buildings all looking the same, but I do wish that we could have a few here and there that exceed 325' It seems weird to have 3 buildings in a row that are all exactly the same height.
i agree completely, it will look so master planned and artificial. i'd rather this tower be shorter than 325' instead of the exact same height as the other ones. one of the best things about the sowa is that only the infrastructure is master planned and the buildings are built in response to current market conditions, but it wont appear organic if the heights are all the same.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 9:50 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

^ Maybe this is a good thing, perhaps this is what the city and PDC needed to raise the height limits. Seeing SOWA grow in a awkward, flat topped way may provide all the reason they need to selectively pick a few blocks for more height and FAR.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 9:51 AM

would be nice to see more diverse architecture in the area including height variance. also, a retirement facility in proximity to OHSU is actually a good idea. these people will be spending money there and using the new tram. healthcare students could possibly get on the job training there as well.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 10:05 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Don't forget OHSU has most of the land north to the Marquam Bridge that they are going to build a low rise campus upon.

I hear that all the time, the marquam campus being described as "low rise". Does anyone know what the height limits are there, and how low exactly OHSU is planning to build? I've always thought that at least a couple taller buildings there would be nice, to tie SOWA in with downtown.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 3:17 PM

yeah, what's the deal? low-rise would be a ridiculous waste of that land. and i've never heard low-rise until pacnw's comment. where'd you hear that?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 4:11 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Add me to the camp-more variance in height, I would rather see this 50 ft shorter than exactly the same height.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 6:50 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
didnt ohsu have blocks 24, 25, 28, 29?
now 28 is out.

so the rest of ohsu's expansion will be on the proposed ogi campus?
Block 28 is still OHSU's, as is 24, 25 and 29. This tower is on Block 31. Apparently they had rights to 31 as well, but didn't intend to use it (as evidenced by the earlier site plans and models with this tower already penciled in). They also have rights to 1/2 of Block 23, but I think they're proposing a hotel for that oversized block.

I'm hoping that the OGI campus will be at least midrise, with a few towers mixed in. The density of that area really needs to be maximized. I don't see how they would allow lowrise buildings there, a complete waste of valuable Downtown real estate.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 6:54 PM

OHSU plans senior tower as 'living lab'
Aging - The 30-story building in South Waterfront would double for research
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
DYLAN RIVERA
The Oregonian

Oregon Health & Science University on Monday launched a partnership to build a senior housing tower that will put hundreds of prospective patients at its South Waterfront doorstep and create what the university calls a "living laboratory" for university researchers.

The university is selling a block in the new neighborhood to Medford-based Pacific Retirement Services Inc., which plans to build a 30-story senior housing building that would offer a range of retirement living options, from apartments to nursing home level care.

The arrangement will strengthen OHSU's relationship with Intel, OHSU officials said, as the two can work to develop devices and techniques aimed at making aging easier. Ideas range from computerized gadgets to remind patients to take medication to new drugs or treatments for dementia-related illnesses.

Yet it's not clear whether building a senior housing tower helps the university deliver in any significant way on its long-standing promise to develop a bioscience industry with 6,000 jobs.

Bioscience-based economic development on the waterfront was the central theme of then-OHSU President Peter Kohler's successful pitch to the Legislature in 2001 for $200 million in taxpayer-backed bonds to fund the construction of a new research building on Marquam Hill and the recruitment of about 100 new faculty members.

Many outside observers at the time were skeptical of Portland's ability to attract significant interest from biotech employers, and Monday's announcement did little to reduce that skepticism.

Joe Cortright, a Portland economist who has researched site-selection criteria for the biotech industry, said the new partnership would reinforce housing momentum on South Waterfront and perhaps hospital revenues. But, he said, it is unlikely to attract or create many bioscience employers.

"The really talented entrepreneurs and scientists are much more likely to be created and flourish in places where there are strong biotechnology clusters, and that's not in Portland," he said.

Pacific Retirement will pay $8 million for the block and, once its operation is up and running, will kick in a $3 million license fee to OHSU.

The 325-foot tower will equal in height the elliptical John Ross tower, its neighbor to the south.

The joint venture of a medical research center with a senior housing property appears to be rare, OHSU officials said.

OHSU's director of research, Dan Dorsa, said the partnership with developers of the retirement community related to OHSU's strategic priorities in research, including efforts to advance technology to improve care of the elderly.

"This doesn't mean we're diverting from our interest in standard biotech on the South Waterfront or elsewhere," Dorsa said.

Eric Dishman, manager of Intel's Digital Health Group in Hillsboro, said he hopes the building will help the company take new technologies for seniors from the testing lab to real-life situations, something the high-tech niche desperately needs more of.

Intel already uses Pacific Retirement communities in Medford and in Portland to test new devices, Dishman said. For example, the company has made a "caller ID on steroids" that helps Alzheimer's patients remember a person who is calling them on the phone. A screen shows the caller's picture, along with reminders about recent topics of discussion between the patient and the caller.

University researchers are keenly interested in having proximity and access to a retirement community where new drugs, devices and nursing techniques can be tested, said Steve Stadum, executive vice of OHSU. When the university first thought of soliciting ideas for such a center in the South Waterfront in May 2005, researchers from a variety of schools clamored for an opportunity to be involved.

A committee representing nursing, engineering, Alzheimer's research and other disciplines reviewed the proposals and selected Pacific Retirement from among a handful of finalists, Stadum said .

The project won't have doctors' offices built into it, though medical offices in the OHSU Center for Health & Healing are two blocks away.

Pacific Retirement has not set prices for rooms in the building, called the Mirabella. Building plans include a small swimming pool, informal dining venues throughout and a 25th-floor dining room, with views of the river and the Portland skyline.

The sale of the land to Pacific Retirement is all but final but won't close until late June. Construction could start in 2008 and be completed in 2010.

Ted Sickinger contributed to this story. Dylan Rivera: 503-221-8532, dylanrivera@news.oregonian.com

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...380.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 12:16 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

The height limit is to preserve the view corridor from Terwilliger to Mt Hood... I think it's a good thing, since the view from that road is one of the best in town!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 12:53 AM

I appreciate the view corridor preservation, but I must say...this town is going to have one weird-assed skyline.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsimon View Post
I appreciate the view corridor preservation, but I must say...this town is going to have one weird-assed skyline.
height limits i say ditch the height limits in the central city...and if not there then atleast have one section of downtown portland have no height limits.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 7:40 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I don't see how they would allow lowrise buildings there, a complete waste of valuable Downtown real estate.

I know, when redevelopment in the pearl got underway I was kinda pissed that everything was 3 storys. I'm sure that today Homer is wondering why he didn't maximize the early lots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics