HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 5:21 AM

Agreed, the Schumachers handled the demonstration situation wrong. They were idiots about the situation. Instead of turning an opportunity to their advantage:

(ex; we actively seek out only those fur suppliers using the most humuane harvest methods possible and encourage those that don't to do so.....we support freedom of speech in the form of viewpoints that may oppose some aspects of our business with a request for respect of this legitimately operated business and those exercising their right to patronize it.)

They reduced themselves to a level below the worst of the demonstrators by profanely swearing at them and making up juvenile derogatory responses in the form of printouts on their computer which they taped to the inside glass of the front door.

Brooks Brothers are part of that classic genre of fashion culture that has held its place in Portland on the retail face by businesses such as John Helmer Haberdashery on Broadway, but also by Schumachers and Nicholas Unger up on Yamhill.

As the business atmosphere in Portland becomes more intense, an inclination towards the more disciplined classic fashion they specialize in will probably give them a strong market. That striped blazer looks extreme, even radical, but maybe such a thing, which looks weird to me, injects a certain civility into the casual business culture where other things might not.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 5:36 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Agree, it's kind of funny to see this kind of fashion moving into the Northwest, the home of the laid-back business culture if ever there was one! I own three ties; I've used them only a couple times in my life: high school graduation, funerals, job interviews (sometimes) and college interviews. Other than that, it is seldom seen in the software & computer industry, even for executives... but oh well; there obviously is a growing business culture here, and many people travel on business that live here. No use getting in a fashion argument over it...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:41 AM
Karma Police

^^^^
Drmyeyes, absolutely. They could have turned the publicity into their favor, even gotten people to sympathize with them. But instead, the Schumachers just imploded on themselves. Now they're slinking out of town like complete losers.

^^
Yes, Portland fashion really is no more casual than in other cities. Not everyone in NY and Chicago walks around in Armani and Brooks Bros. That's just a stereotype. And not everyone here wears flannel and Gore-tex.

There's room for all kinds of fashion here. I've seen as much variety here as I've seen in any other city. I saw a woman the other day in an outfit that Bjork would have been embarassed to wear. I don't know how to describe it other than bizarre. But thank god for diversity...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out to Bridgeport Village.
actually i heard a interesting quote in one of those articles about this whole mess that the owner of bridgeport village said something along the lines of: "if schumachers moved in here I would be one of the ones protesting"

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:49 AM

Not good news...but not terrible either

Adidas will close Northeast retail store
MLK Jr. Blvd. - Although neighbors say they are sad to see the store go, it won't hinder plans for the area

Tuesday, February 06, 2007
STEPHEN BEAVEN
After a decade there, Adidas America said Monday that it will close its landmark retail store at the corner of Northeast Alberta Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Adidas will not renew the lease for the store, which is expected to close in the second half of 2007, marking the end of a retail outlet that opened with great fanfare as an anchor in the redevelopment of MLK.

Developers and neighborhood leaders said they would be sad to see the store close. But they don't expect Adidas' plans to hamper growth in the area, thanks to a number of nearby projects under construction.

"It's a disappointment of course," said Bernie Kerosky, of the Portland Development Commission, which is financing several projects along MLK. "But we don't see it as a fatal blow."

In fact, community leaders said that in recent years the store has had little impact on the surrounding area.

Adidas hasn't done much to promote the store and had not worked closely with local leaders for several years, said Willie Brown, the interim executive director of the Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods.

But Andrea Corso, a spokeswoman for Adidas, said that the company remains committed to the Portland area, with its North American headquarters on North Greeley Avenue and three additional retail sites.

Though Brown and others said the store didn't appear to attract many customers, Corso said it was not being closed because of poor sales.

Rather, the store is no longer "a strong strategic fit" for the company's retail plans, she said, adding that she could not elaborate.

The decision to close is an ignominious end for a store that opened, in part, to provide jobs and training in Portland's urban core.

Developer Ray Leary worked for Adidas in 1996 and had pushed the apparel-maker to open a store on MLK as a means of acknowledging the inner city, which had helped fuel the company's sales.

Leary credits Steve Wynne, who headed Adidas America in the second half of the 1990s, for making sure the company focused on the community in Northeast Portland.

That focus paid off, Leary said Monday. Of the first 27 employees at the store, 18 went on to full-time jobs with the corporate parent.

"That was the goal," Leary said.

Leary has long since left Adidas and is now putting together the Vanport Square project at 5225 N.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

His project and others have signaled a resurgence on MLK in recent years, perhaps softening the sting of Adidas' announcement.

But Adidas will still leave an empty storefront later this year. Whoever moves in, Brown said, should be prepared to work closely with the community.

"If you're coming," he said, "you're going to be a part of it, or we'll make sure you don't come."

Stephen Beaven: 503-294-7663; stevebeaven@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 9:00 AM

it was never really a phenomenal space. i went there once for a pair of shoes and i was the only customer there at the time. maybe the site could be better utilized as a mixed use development with apartments and retail.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:05 AM

DT Retail Plan

Plan aims to rev up downtown retailing
Downtown Portland’s retail scene isn’t “running on all eight cylinders,” says Christopher Kopca.

So a committee headed by Kopca has drawn up a $15.3 million five-year plan to restore the city center’s reputation as a shopping destination. Kopca works for Downtown Development Group, a private firm with extensive downtown holdings.

Macy’s and Nordstrom are undertaking major renovations. But downtown also faces new competition. Lifestyle centers such as Bridgeport Village and Streets of Tanasbourne try to recreate the feel of old-fashioned downtowns, but because they’re on private land, they can eliminate panhandlers, political activists and news-rack clutter.

And Sandra McDonough, director of the Portland Business Alliance, says the public still perceives downtown as unsafe, though crime figures are down 13 percent from a year ago.

Other hindrances Kopca’s committee found: lack of large store spaces, older buildings with low ceilings and renovation expenses.

As part of its work, the committee tried looking to other cities for ideas.

“The good news and the bad news,” says Lew Bowers, a Portland Development Commission development manager, “is that they all look to us.”
–- Fred Leeson, fredleeson@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 7:20 AM

↑"the public still perceives downtown as unsafe" "crime figures are down 13 percent from a year ago." Just goes to show that perceptions are not necessarily reality..

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 7:37 AM

Indeed, but we need to get rid of that perception all together. Most of what people are scared off by are not criminals so much but panhandlers, intimidating groups of teenagers and drunk or drugged people. Even if they couldn't clean up some of the vagrants i'd atleast like to see more security or beat cops out there.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:35 PM

Its just so insulting for DT to be continuely compared with a "lifestyle" center by the DT business community. This is the problem. Look at all the neighborhoods around DT and they are booming. Why? Because those business people in those areas understand what a city is. THey are serving people who like the unique urban environment. DT business wants disney land to attract suburbanites. Its a huge mistake. As DT is filled with national retails bleeding the state of cash and pushing away urban dweller looking for uniqueness. These businesses will increasingly rely on attracting suburbanites who drive. The pressure to get those shoppers into DT will grow and that pressure will come in the form of making DT more friendly to auto infrastructure. Its a nasty cycle, a mistake played out all over the US. I thought we'd had moved past this.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
↑"the public still perceives downtown as unsafe" "crime figures are down 13 percent from a year ago." Just goes to show that perceptions are not necessarily reality..
Remember that is REPORTED crime. More people all the time rightly believe that the police will do nothing so don't report.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:18 PM

Last time I checked Bridgeport didn't have 100,000 employees working daily in it either...I don't see the negative in that article. Foremost, it takes time for the public perception to change. Downtown although never dangerous, did feel the effects of the economic downtown and increase in highly publicized crime events. In a few years, if DT continues its current path, the perception will change again...like if the Blazers start winning.

What irritates me about these articles is the spin. It casts a negative tone in just the first sentence with the main quote being Portland is not 'running on all eight cylinders'. In reality, the guy running the committee to bring back downtown recognized and pointed out some weaknesses. In order to improve the climate, we have to find out what is and isn't working and than talk about it and find solutions.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 7:27 PM

I guess my point was that the business community choices are not working because they are approaching DT as a mall rather then a city. There goal is to fill DT with national retail to compete with lifestyle malls. They are taking a national generic approach to cities that seems at odds with Portland sensibilities.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 7:54 PM
BANNED

I think CAB has a point but it is hard to fill all that expensive space with retailers that cater only to DT people. Even NW 23rd (and to some extent the Pearl) lives and dies on the suburban shopper.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 8:17 PM

It would be interesting to see a money chart detailing the value of a nationally owned retailer vs. a locally owned to the local community. Oregon is not exactly a rich state so having a money cycle that keeps more money here rather then bleed it out through commerce should be a goal. I don't think filling your largest cities DT with national chains helps. And without a sales tax catching some out of state cash we're kind of in a hole (over coming the transportation oil bleed is hard enough)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 9:01 PM
BANNED

That is a specious argument. Just like the "buy American" BS you hear from the red-neck croud.

Giving preference to local products or businesses is not really different from giving preference to products made by whites over those made by blacks. Economic regionalism, like racism, means judging people and their businesses by the group from which they come, not by their merit. If a business has a better mouse trap and happens to be based in NY then I benefit by being able to buy from that business.

Why do people see the economy as a dog-eat-dog world, where one person's gain is anothers loss? Do we really have to cling to our little herd and fight all the other herds for a share of the spoils? If some other region is getting richer, then we must be getting poorer? Absolutely not.

Government interference with free trade, sacrificing one's standard of living in order to subsidize inefficient local business, and the tribal fear of outsiders is un-American. We should all buys the best things for the best prices, wherever it may be found and from whomever is selling it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 9:38 PM

"Trickle Down Theory" Does that ring any bells? Sure, support the big out of town businesses and it will eventually come back to you. Uh-huh. Not the same, but this shares some characteristics with pyramid schemes. This is the reason people fear Walmart and fight to keep it from further destruction of local economys. Chains are not the same as local business. There is a place for chains, but they should not be allowed to dominate.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanpdx View Post
Government interference with free trade, sacrificing one's standard of living in order to subsidize inefficient local business, and the tribal fear of outsiders is un-American. We should all buys the best things for the best prices, wherever it may be found and from whomever is selling it.
First we don't have free trade in this country. Look how much the american tax payer pays in overseas advertising so that foreigners will buy American. That isn't free trade. 50% of welfare goes to companies not people...so again this country isn't free trade.

And that last sentence....not one piece of morality is in that statement.....slave labor is acceptable to you if it means your Nike's cost you a few cents less.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanpdx View Post
That is a specious argument. Just like the "buy American" BS you hear from the red-neck croud.

Giving preference to local products or businesses is not really different from giving preference to products made by whites over those made by blacks. Economic regionalism, like racism, means judging people and their businesses by the group from which they come, not by their merit. If a business has a better mouse trap and happens to be based in NY then I benefit by being able to buy from that business.
A big reason why some of us buy locally is because the money we spend on local products from local owners is most likely going to remain in this region. It's one of many small ways to invest in our community.

Comparing buying locally to racism is completely absurd.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 10:25 PM

All of my veggies are bought local, and almost exclusively from the farmers markets for most of the year when they are open. Why buy a Hermiston Watermellon or Walla-Walla onion instead of a Chilean? Because, one, it tastes better. Two, I can actually drive through the place that produces it (allowing me to know if there is a toxic oil field or some other ground and water polluting factory in the area). Three, most third world produce growing countries destory things like the rainforest for farmland. And, fourth, if everyone in Portland bought local produce, all our local farms would be secure for centuries.

I have to imagine not just food, but many products could be viewed in the same manner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics