HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: What should be the future of the TCH?
Freeway / Twinning 29 90.63%
4 Lane Boulevard 1 3.13%
As It Is 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:19 PM
BANNED

The Trans Canada Highway's Future

What do you think should be the future of the TCH?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

No need to start a new thread this time: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...151987&page=67

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:06 PM
BANNED

Its mainly for the poll.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:26 PM

Kinda hard to make a selection on this one as it will be different across the county. Yes the TCH will continue to be twinned/freeway. Some areas will remain as is (Northern Ontario) and there will probably be boulevards. (The TCH was a boulevard through Antigonish until the by-pass opened several years ago) so they too will probably be by-passed someday.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:07 PM
Back from the dead

When you think about it, why can't Canada build one coast-to-coast highway up to freeway standard when the US has built so many? Yeah, they have ten times as many people but the only area of the country that the highway serves would have similar population densities. There are so many interstates in the US that it can't be a simple matter of budgeting in Canada's case. It's even a bit more of a mystery to me as so much of it is already built at that standard. We really just need interchanges and twinning through the Shield.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:16 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
When you think about it, why can't Canada build one coast-to-coast highway up to freeway standard when the US has built so many? Yeah, they have ten times as many people but the only area of the country that the highway serves would have similar population densities. There are so many interstates in the US that it can't be a simple matter of budgeting in Canada's case. It's even a bit more of a mystery to me as so much of it is already built at that standard. We really just need interchanges and twinning through the Shield.
Far more expensive. No US highway passes through nearly as much territory as difficult as B.C. and Northern Ontario are. Also, I remember hearing how much of a roadbed is required in Manitoba vs. a place like Alabama where they basically can pour asphalt on the ground and have a road (exaggerated, but the difference was quite a lot).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:53 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Far more expensive. No US highway passes through nearly as much territory as difficult as B.C. and Northern Ontario are. Also, I remember hearing how much of a roadbed is required in Manitoba vs. a place like Alabama where they basically can pour asphalt on the ground and have a road (exaggerated, but the difference was quite a lot).
It’s funny because in places where the terrain is quite easy to build roads in the US they don’t just build them to piss poor Canadian standards. Texas for example have built some of their interstates to higher standards than anything in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Kinda hard to make a selection on this one as it will be different across the county. Yes the TCH will continue to be twinned/freeway. Some areas will remain as is (Northern Ontario) and there will probably be boulevards. (The TCH was a boulevard through Antigonish until the by-pass opened several years ago) so they too will probably be by-passed someday.
I'm sure that Hwys 17 and 11 in Northern Ontario will slowly be twinned. Probably not freeway except near and within Sudbury, Sault and T-Bay.

I also wish the MTO with federal support would have a 4-laned more direct route to Western Canada. Keep Hwy 17 around Lake Superior as a scenic parkway.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:37 AM
perhaps . . .

Can one beat a horse forever? Does it never die? It could at least die of bloody boredom.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada