HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Jeezus, did the city abuse you when you were a child? You seem to be completely incapable of understanding what anyone is saying.

Everyone, I'm gonna keep this forum at arms length until troll goes back to whatever place it came from... probably the 5th Ave tunnel.
That's the way it goes. As soon as someone comes in and tells it like it is, all the boosters get upset and claim they never deny shortcomings and say you're just a hater. Did the city abuse me? Actually maybe a bit yes. I had the mindset that we have everything bigger cities have and really don't need much more etc.. Until my jobs started leaving and I was left in the barren Birmingham job-hunter landscape only to accept another job at a struggling company while my friends seemed to hop from job to job making $10k more each hop in other markets. SO after a while, yes I feel abused by this place because I subscribed to the homerism and got screwed by it. I'll take the fault for that for staying though.

So recently, I've really been opening my eyes to other markets and it's really surprising what I've been missing. So I'm looking to move. Something I should have done right out of college.

Keep in mind, I'm a college graduate from a very well known school in Bham and a graduate degree from UA. My last couple of ventures were doing Finance/Accounting for two Healthcare companies in Bham, both of which left. One for Dallas and one for Chicago. So, for people like me, the city offers very little and I'm finally learning that.

For someone only looking to work retail or who might be a doctor.... The city might be a goldmine for them. But it's people like myself that are saying "ehh" to Bham and yes to more sparkly places that attracts similar types of people.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:36 PM
The Salty Ham

^ All I got out of all that blah was that it's leaving. ^

In other news, the mayor wants to know if people want City Stages to come back. Hopefully they will have better organizers if it does.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 7:01 PM
The Salty Ham

Amazon finalizes the deal, but what's this?

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...lfillment.html

Quote:
The company has not announced whether its new fulfillment center will offer same-day delivery.
Come on Bezos, you're going to miss my $120 bucks a year if you don't offer this.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:55 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Amazon finalizes the deal, but what's this?

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...lfillment.html

Come on Bezos, you're going to miss my $120 bucks a year if you don't offer this.
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that Amazon made this decision during our current economic climate. Employment is HIGH, and our workforce is very small. All news articles have indicated that Amazon wants to work with local school districts to create a steady workforce, which is awesome! I'm just curious about how attractive Birmingham's warehousing/shipping industry is. Certainly the city is becoming more attractive day by day, but we desperately need people to actually move to the region!

I'm very curious about the migration numbers now compared to maybe 5 years ago for the Birmingham area.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 2:49 PM
The Salty Ham

I thought the opposite. In one of those articles it was mentioned that we are the largest metro left without one of these, and this will be the first one in the state. It just seems like they are finally getting around to us but were going to eventually and their march for world domination.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 10:19 PM
The Salty Ham

Shipt decides not to bounce to Minneapolis and is bringing 881 jobs instead. Awesome.

https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/20...ngham_hea.html

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:58 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I thought the opposite. In one of those articles it was mentioned that we are the largest metro left without one of these, and this will be the first one in the state. It just seems like they are finally getting around to us but were going to eventually and their march for world domination.
I thought the same thing... It is kind of sad that it took so long for us to get one of their distribution centers. But, what I'm most satisfied about is the part of the metro they chose. The chose Bessemer! The location the chose is basically the epicenter of unemployed folks looking for well-paying jobs, that's what I've been so excited about! Plus the BJCTA is extending service to the location, which 1) provides a great mode of transportation, and 2) broadens the minds of the BJCTA board.

I will never say that this distribution center is a shotgun to the arm, but I do think it will provide good employment and also develop thinking in our transit community.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 11:19 PM
Cat Enthusiast

So, as part of my job, I have to visit the fied (various locations around Birmingham that are not my desk) and I get to interact with a WIDE variety of construction folks who have grown up in, or around, Birmingham. I shouldn't say it is odd, but lately, I've been hearing a lot more from these guys about their optimism regarding Birmingham. I'm talking about black and white working men and women doing the same manual labor day after day that have lived around here for decades. Normally, I'd assume them to be the most pessimistic about the city's future, but lately, they smile... and they talk about how nice the city used to be (of coruse, we all know it was "nicer" under different circumstances). But, these folks usually complain about how rotten the city is. Not so much recently. I've been able to get out of the office more and more frequently, and it's been like a breath of fresh air hearing them talk.

I really hope more natives of the area, of their demographic, are feeling the same way.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 8:57 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
So, as part of my job, I have to visit the fied (various locations around Birmingham that are not my desk) and I get to interact with a WIDE variety of construction folks who have grown up in, or around, Birmingham. I shouldn't say it is odd, but lately, I've been hearing a lot more from these guys about their optimism regarding Birmingham. I'm talking about black and white working men and women doing the same manual labor day after day that have lived around here for decades. Normally, I'd assume them to be the most pessimistic about the city's future, but lately, they smile... and they talk about how nice the city used to be (of coruse, we all know it was "nicer" under different circumstances). But, these folks usually complain about how rotten the city is. Not so much recently. I've been able to get out of the office more and more frequently, and it's been like a breath of fresh air hearing them talk.

I really hope more natives of the area, of their demographic, are feeling the same way.
That's good to hear. Work and activity breeds work and activity I guess. These guys having something to do and knowing all their friends are working too and that there are more and more jobs announced breeds optimism.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:33 PM
The Salty Ham

Good news about three Birmingham based companies. Would be nice to have more than 1 Fortune 500 company HQ that is always rumored about being bought and moved.

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:54 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Good news about three Birmingham based companies. Would be nice to have more than 1 Fortune 500 company HQ that is always rumored about being bought and moved.

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline
Yea, it's been a long time coming for Vulcan Materials. And Encompass has just been trying to get back in the 500 after the Richard Scrushy fiasco.

Both Vulcan and Encompass are well situated to grow going into the future. Our infrastructure in this nation eventually will reach a point where something will have to give, and we'll have no choice but to throw tons of money at it, that's where Vulcan can benefit. Encompass has a brighter future with the country's aging population, especially if better healthcare policy develops.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 2:44 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
And Encompass has just been trying to get back in the 500 after the Richard Scrushy fiasco.
I think that is a rather impressive story. Seems like it would be more likely for the company to fade into obscurity, go broke or just be bought out. But for them to come back from something bad like that and be doing well is a nice turnaround story for a Birmingham based company, or any company any where.

Excuse me while I light a candle for Just For Feet.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:33 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I think that is a rather impressive story. Seems like it would be more likely for the company to fade into obscurity, go broke or just be bought out. But for them to come back from something bad like that and be doing well is a nice turnaround story for a Birmingham based company, or any company any where.

Excuse me while I light a candle for Just For Feet.
After all, there’s a reason I try to restrict my my shopping to businesses and companies HQd in Alabama. Of course, you’ll never catch me paying something like 5-10 dollars more to buy from Books-A-Million just because they’re an Alabama company. Luckily, I was recently able to buy some books from BAM, by Jane Jacobs, that in total were only a couple of bucks more altogether in price than I could have found on Amazon or EBay, so the decision was easy.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 12:54 AM
Cat Enthusiast

A brand new, freshly built, farmers market known as "Birmingham Central Market" will be constructed next to the downtown MAX Intermodal Facility.

I think this is a tremendous idea/project since it will allow riders to purchase fresh/healthy produce as part fo their commute. The market will accept SNAP, EBT, Cash, & Credit/Debit payments. So, not only with this market help reduce the impact of food deserts across Birmingham, but it could also help increase ridership! Of course, an increase in ridership would be beneficial to the entire system with much needed funds coming in and additional riders contributing to the economy.

I think the public at large has failed to recognize both the social and economic impact of having the Intermodal Terminal (BJCTA, Greyhound, and Megabus), Amtrak, and now the Birmingham Central Market will and is going to have on the city as a whole.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:16 PM
Cat Enthusiast

This isn't that big a deal or anything, but I've noticed that for 2 weeks in a row SNL has been using, what I assume is, stock photos of Birmingham's skyline for window views in some of their sketches.

Here's one from yesterday night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B96ZM3C-h4

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:16 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I hadn't thought about this until today, but the BJCC got realllllly lucky with the timing of the Coronavirus outbreak. Obviously, I care more about the people who are sick or are taking care of the ill; but, Legacy Arena is just about to start renovation.

For those on the outside who are unfamiliar, Legacy Arena is about to be under renovation for months, meaning that one of the largest meeting facilities in the area was going to be out of service for a while anyway.

Of course, we have no way of knowing how the virus will be affecting all of us when renovations are finished, but I supposed that it's better that the arena is being renovated while conventions, conferences, and large events are starting to be canceled all over the country. Had we not been anticipating the renovation for some time now, the cancelation of large meeting events could have had set us back pretty good as Birmingham continues to recruit conferences and conventions.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:40 AM
Burming Hammer

March 14, 2020

AVENUE A TOWNHOMES:

DANIEL PARKSIDE:

MACARONI LOFTS:

UAB DORM:

ASCEND:

FOUNDRY YARDS:

BAKERS ROW II:

UAB GENETICS BUILDING?:

THE METROPOLITAN:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 11:52 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I made a post about this in the "City Discussions" forum, but I'm beginning to wonder what the effect of the coronavirus pandemic could have on The World Games. If the Olympics are postponed until 2021, what happens to The World Games?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 7:52 PM
Burming Hammer

i wouldn't think anything would happen.

the sports are different, so there's virtually no overlap. target audiences / crowds are different, too. i expect most attending the world games are local or regional, plus athletes and families.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 11:48 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i wouldn't think anything would happen.

the sports are different, so there's virtually no overlap. target audiences / crowds are different, too. i expect most attending the world games are local or regional, plus athletes and families.
The overlap of schedules concerns me, though. Maybe, events would go on as planned.

If both events go on at the same time, then maybe there's no money wasted on our end. HOWEVER, I think we'd definitely see a reduction in the number of people visiting to attend in Birmingham (obviously, people would rather spend their money going to Tokyo). With events, my greatest concern would be a loss of exposure for Birmingham and Alabama. That's certainly not the worst result... the worst result is that The World Games are canceled in favor of The Olympics and the investment that has already taken place is essentially money down the drain.

I personally wouldn't object to The World Games being pushed back till 2022 or 2023. That would make Protective Stadium the main venue, the BJCC will have been renovated, and our hotel industry will have had more time to scale up to host more people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast