HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
I have not seen firm plans. I think they just wanted the purchase the land as a first step. A new UPS facility was planned at one point, but I believe that is no longer planned. First the runway that was planned over the existing UPS facility is delayed indefinitely. Second, UPS has invested in their current facility and over the course of 2018 increased the volume of packages it handles through PHL.
I thought there were plans to buy land in Tinicum township and move UPS there. Did that happen or got scrapped?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I thought there were plans to buy land in Tinicum township and move UPS there. Did that happen or got scrapped?
They still plan to buy land, albeit how much and where might have changed a little. But the plan for the land has changed.

The only reason to move UPS was a new 3rd parallel runway. But the number of daily flights in/out of PHL has gone down quite a bit and that runway is not as "needed" as it was. That's not to say there are no longer delays, but that a new runway will not solve everything.

Also there are more pressing needs around the airport. The interior restaurants and amenities are going through a complete overhaul. The rental car area needs to be completely rebuilt. It is a terrible setup. The international terminals are maxed out on gate space and they probably could use another 4-6 international gates.

New Philadelphia International Airport boss says runway project no longer top priority
https://www.dailylocal.com/news/nati...97e955a91.html

UPS has also been expanding it's facility in PHL. These are total numbers across carriers but are primarily driven by UPS' operation.
Total airfreight in tons
2016: 422,061
2017: 438,582
2018: 339,936 (Through August, up 24% YoY)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
They still plan to buy land, albeit how much and where might have changed a little. But the plan for the land has changed.

The only reason to move UPS was a new 3rd parallel runway. But the number of daily flights in/out of PHL has gone down quite a bit and that runway is not as "needed" as it was. That's not to say there are no longer delays, but that a new runway will not solve everything.

Also there are more pressing needs around the airport. The interior restaurants and amenities are going through a complete overhaul. The rental car area needs to be completely rebuilt. It is a terrible setup. The international terminals are maxed out on gate space and they probably could use another 4-6 international gates.

New Philadelphia International Airport boss says runway project no longer top priority
https://www.dailylocal.com/news/nati...97e955a91.html

UPS has also been expanding it's facility in PHL. These are total numbers across carriers but are primarily driven by UPS' operation.
Total airfreight in tons
2016: 422,061
2017: 438,582
2018: 339,936 (Through August, up 24% YoY)
Thanks. I definitely think more international gates are needed. And, the additional runway. PHL is notoriously bad for having delays taxiing in the runway and flights circling around the city waiting to land on the runway.

All the interior update is well over due and I'm glad that some major updates to the restaurant and space has happened. But I think PHL can and should do more to improve its performance overall. At one time, I think the airlines were pushing back on paying for these performance improvements, but I'm not sure if that has changed and if the city has taken out a municipal bond for more work to be done. I hope it has.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 2:11 PM

Hey guys, I have some really good news for Wilmington! I got an exclusive look from a friend about BPG's upcoming plans for Wilmington going way into the future, and they are super exciting. Unfortunately, I do not think I'm allowed to share them exactly yet, but they look amazing!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Hey guys, I have some really good news for Wilmington! I got an exclusive look from a friend about BPG's upcoming plans for Wilmington going way into the future, and they are super exciting. Unfortunately, I do not think I'm allowed to share them exactly yet, but they look amazing!
any highlights you can share?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:26 PM

That's great^ hopefully BPG makes some announcements soon.

Here's a look from the top of the Hyatt Place hotel u/c on the Riverfront:

https://www.instagram.com/theriverfronthyatt/?hl=en

Out in North Wilmington - BPG's 'Concord Plaza' development is flying:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpUtEk3g...s_construction

^When completed:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:23 AM
Leftist Correctist

^Why can't they just build a normal street instead of these parking lot driveways all the time???

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:41 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Why can't they just build a normal street instead of these parking lot driveways all the time???
Yeah, I'm no fan of that design either. They're building a master planned community in my township, and the apartments component is going to have that kind of layout. Quite frankly, I wish they would have the apartments and restaurant/retail uses constructed as such that the restaurant/retail would be on the ground floor of the apartment structures. Alas, they're going to be built out in separate phases, with the commercial side built as the last phase...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Penn Medicine breaks ground on $200M Radnor development

The University of Pennsylvania Health System held an official ground breaking on a $200 million development at 145 King of Prussia Road in Radnor that will transform a site once used as a pharmaceutical laboratory and office space into a modern medical campus.

In addition, Penn Medicine said it has entered into an agreement with Brandwyine Realty Trust, Radnor’s largest office landlord, to develop and own the real estate that is being built and that includes an outpatient facility, medical office buildings, a 1,000-vehicle garage and a hotel totaling about 700,000 square feet and potentially more medical office space in the future.

The two properties that will be developed are 145 King of Prussia Road and 250 King of Prussia Road.

On the western end of 145 King of Prussia Road, the work involves building a 250,000-square-foot outpatient facility for Penn Medicine. That building will have expanded medical services such as radiation oncology and chemotherapy services provided by the Ambramson Center Center as well as have six operating rooms. That building is expected to open in the spring of 2020.

In addition, Brandywine will also develop a 150,000-square-foot office building — though Penn Medicine didn't specify whether it was a medical office building — and a 75,000-square-foot hotel that will have 100 rooms on the western end of the site.

On the eastern side of 145 King of Prussia Road site, a parcel has been designated for a future medical office building but the size wasn't disclosed and additional information wasn't immediately available.

Brandywine Realty (NYSE: BDN) will also buy 250 King of Prussia Road, which has an existing 170,000-square-foot building where Penn Medicine has operated for the last two decades and continues to do so today. Brandywine will build a 220,000-square-foot medical office building on that site though it wasn't clear whether the existing building would be razed to make way for the new building or the existing structure would be redeveloped and expanded.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...0m-radnor.html

Love me some TOD!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslice View Post
any highlights you can share?
I'm really sorry but I don't think so yet. I've tried looking up the plans that I've got early access to just to see if they are even public yet and it doesn't look like it so until they go public, I'm assuming that I can't share anything that I know quite yet. I do wish that I could though but I'm just going to wait until they go public just to be safe.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I'm really sorry but I don't think so yet. I've tried looking up the plans that I've got early access to just to see if they are even public yet and it doesn't look like it so until they go public, I'm assuming that I can't share anything that I know quite yet. I do wish that I could though but I'm just going to wait until they go public just to be safe.
Can you at least say if they'll actually be downtown or Riverfront (Yes or no for either)…..

No pressure if you can't say, just very curious.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:33 AM

https://www.constructionspecifier.co...lass-showcase/

Speaking of the airport, here's some news. Now, I've only been to the airport 3 times this decade, so I'm not too familiar with it. Who will be using this newly renovated terminal? And better yet, I know there are improvements and renovations throughout the airport? Is there any sort of renderings of what's being changed?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post

Speaking of the airport, here's some news. Now, I've only been to the airport 3 times this decade, so I'm not too familiar with it. Who will be using this newly renovated terminal? And better yet, I know there are improvements and renovations throughout the airport? Is there any sort of renderings of what's being changed?
I believe I was inside when I took Southwest to Chicago, though I could be mistaken. Basically opens the whole place up. Barely noticed anything had changed, though I must admit that the last time I flew Southwest before then was in 2015.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post

When Terminal F (Terminal referenced in article) was built I guess the general assumption was that it would be used for people connecting, not arriving/departing Philadelphia. So the security checkpoint was very small and the baggage claim was two very small carousels. They quickly became inadequate so much of this construction was to expand those areas.

The concession upgrades throughout the airport were a collaboration with a company called OTG who have done similar upgrades in other US airports. It looks very commercial, but they maximize the space available and brighten things up quite a bit. There are iPads at every seat with games and food/drink ordering capability and electrical outlets. They put these everywhere no matter how big/small the space in hopes people sit at one very close to a gate and spend money rather than a bland waiting area.

Images in this original article
https://www.delcotimes.com/business/...2a28cf0f9.html

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 8:07 PM

Finally construction is beginning on the commercial building and pocket park at the corner of gay and church in West Chester. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...64155890289117

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 2:23 PM

Article in the Inquirer today has some construction pics of the new developments at Villanova.

New Dorms

Performing Arts Center

http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/p...-20181109.html

Glad to see the University capitalizing on its newfound national exposure. Those parking lots on Lancaster Ave drove me crazy.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 2:26 PM

Found a good video update of the multifamily project off Righter's Ferry road in Bala Cynwyd. This huge project has flown pretty under the radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh_5KV5BtRk

Some screen captures:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 2:45 PM

Another apartment building proposed in Lansdale:

Quote:
Developer presents plans for 'Luxor Lansdale' apartments

LANSDALE — A new plan is in the works for a high-end apartment building on an industrial property along Broad Street.

John Tallman, Vice President of Acquisition and Approvals for Westrum Development Company, unveiled plans for "Luxor Lansdale," which he said is meant to draw millennials looking to live in a walkable downtown.

"Lansdale, we think, is a great place to live, to work, and to shop. There's easy access to transportation, we love the walkable lifestyle: that's something that's really ideal for our proposed tenants," he said.

Plans are still being finalized, but Tallman showed the planning commission on Sept. 17 an outline featuring a five-story apartment building of somewhere around 180 units, located on a roughly four-acre parcel east of Broad and south of the borough freight station and railroad tracks.

"It will be 173, 189 or 205 (units) — we're still working on the details at this point. And as currently reflected, we show just over 150 cars parking on the surface lots, and we project 150 cars underneath the structure itself," Tallman said.
More: https://www.thereporteronline.com/ne...338c7cc99.html

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Thanks. I definitely think more international gates are needed. And, the additional runway. PHL is notoriously bad for having delays taxiing in the runway and flights circling around the city waiting to land on the runway.

All the interior update is well over due and I'm glad that some major updates to the restaurant and space has happened. But I think PHL can and should do more to improve its performance overall. At one time, I think the airlines were pushing back on paying for these performance improvements, but I'm not sure if that has changed and if the city has taken out a municipal bond for more work to be done. I hope it has.

Some years ago in the 3rd runway debate it seemed to be common knowledge that non-weather delays at PHL had more to do with crowded east coast air space issues then anything happening on the ground. Is that true? Who does one believe?
A couple years ago the airport leadership came out with the next 2 or 3 phases of major expensive improvements and at that time the airlines----who end up indirectly paying off the bonds that the City floats----were not in favor of all the proposals and in the order and style that were suggested. That was around the time of the USAir/American merger and since they are the king of the airport maybe that has changed since the merger has gone through and American has had time to figure out how to use PHL.
Yes more international gates would be useful, but only for a few hours a day. And since PHL is as much of a connecting point for many international flights that try to tie into domestic flights there is a huge ground operation which is heavily used for 4 to 6 hours a day, then is largely unused for the rest of the day-----apparently this is very costly. More gates that are used in the present fashion would mean a lot more then just the gates themselves.
PHL has a record of building for yesterday; they spent TONS on the N S runway and that weird little runway on the very east of the airport to handle a certain size plane only to have the airlines largely stop using that type of plane. I don't know if there's any answer for that sort of thing, but PHL because of its size and location in reference to other airports, can't be everything to everyone. Teaming up with UPS is a good example of something it can do well

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Some years ago in the 3rd runway debate it seemed to be common knowledge that non-weather delays at PHL had more to do with crowded east coast air space issues then anything happening on the ground. Is that true? Who does one believe?
A couple years ago the airport leadership came out with the next 2 or 3 phases of major expensive improvements and at that time the airlines----who end up indirectly paying off the bonds that the City floats----were not in favor of all the proposals and in the order and style that were suggested. That was around the time of the USAir/American merger and since they are the king of the airport maybe that has changed since the merger has gone through and American has had time to figure out how to use PHL.
Yes more international gates would be useful, but only for a few hours a day. And since PHL is as much of a connecting point for many international flights that try to tie into domestic flights there is a huge ground operation which is heavily used for 4 to 6 hours a day, then is largely unused for the rest of the day-----apparently this is very costly. More gates that are used in the present fashion would mean a lot more then just the gates themselves.
PHL has a record of building for yesterday; they spent TONS on the N S runway and that weird little runway on the very east of the airport to handle a certain size plane only to have the airlines largely stop using that type of plane. I don't know if there's any answer for that sort of thing, but PHL because of its size and location in reference to other airports, can't be everything to everyone. Teaming up with UPS is a good example of something it can do well
Maybe it's airspace, but I thought the FAA redesign the airspace and flight scheduling to mitigate this. There is always planes waiting on the runways for take off. It could mean too many flights during peak time or not. Maybe a red eye flight doesn't have these problems. And, when I mean international gates, I had to wait for an international gate for the plane to taxi to that gate because it couldn't taxi to a non-international gate because another plane was at the gate with mechanical problems. And, more international gates to support more international flights to different international locations. When I fly out of Denver International I don't have these problems with robust arrivals and departures. And Denver is a pretty big airport.
My bottom line is that there's plenty of room for improvements to PHL. It's not the worst and not the best. It is stuck somewhere in the middle, I suppose. And, the problems they have are pretty evident to average consumer that fly in and out of PHL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations