HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
And you know what? 10 years ago it was zero.

Look up any recent property transaction in the Mayfair, Solis-Cohen, and Rhawnhurst catchments and get back to me on the surname.
I'm not arguing about the point. But your numbers were off.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:31 PM

It's been re-branded the "Philadelphia 201 Hotel" but it is still operated by Marriott International, the parent company of Sheraton, so the building hasn't changed hands.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...hia-201-hotel/

The new concept could just be a place-holder, but the hotel has events booked through the holiday season.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:44 PM

^
Gawd. I hope not. The hotel is in need of updating both inside and out. This is a good time as any for Marriott to do it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:22 PM

Whatever happened to that “big announcement” regarding something in West Philly that we were told by a certain poster on here to watch out for?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 9:39 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Whatever happened to that “big announcement” regarding something in West Philly that we were told by a certain poster on here to watch out for?
I was talking about Penn Medicine buying the Elwyn property. I thought someone else who was trying to buy it had got it and they had much cooler plans than Penn Medicine.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
I was talking about Penn Medicine buying the Elwyn property. I thought someone else who was trying to buy it had got it and they had much cooler plans than Penn Medicine.
I haven't heard anything about this? What's Penn doing?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:35 PM
Midrise

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about this? What's Penn doing?
Penn Medicine pays $16M for Elwyn care center site in University City expansion | Philly.com

The University of Pennsylvania's medical network has acquired the 2.75-acre University City property where Elwyn, a nonprofit group that serves people with disabilities, has operated a care center for more than 40 years.

Penn Medicine bought the 4040 Market St. property, which includes several buildings and parking lots over multiple parcels, for $16 million from Media-based Elwyn, according to Holly Auer, a spokeswoman for the university health system.

The medical network plans to relocate several functions from the nearby Penn Presbyterian Medical Center to buildings at the site to increase the hospital's critical-care capacity, Auer said in an email Wednesday. Also planned is space for community-based services, such as a day-care center for autistic children, and the construction of townhouses along Ludlow Street, she said.

[snip]

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Who might these cooler people be?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 3:38 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Who might these cooler people be?
Can't tell ya who it was but they were not only going to build some nice stuff on the 4000 and 4100 blocks of market (though it was going to be several years out), they were going to incorporate the red-painted church at 41st and Ludlow into the development.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:35 PM

After reading this I feel better about not landing Amazon. Some valid points here by the author regarding how much public money is spent on luring companies in.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...llegal/575539/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:46 PM

It’s been said before, and I am heavily inclined to agree, that this will cause New York and DC to just get more expensive, which will encourage more people to move to Philadelphia. Also, the article makes a very good point about how the money we were offering Amazon should be going to public funds like transportation and infrastructure.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Also, the article makes a very good point about how the money we were offering Amazon should be going to public funds like transportation and infrastructure.
That's not how tax subsidies work. Cities weren't offering money to Amazon from funds they already had. They were offering to let Amazon keep more of the money they made. Without Amazon they have $0 of that money and none of the economic growth it would bring that could actually create any new revenue.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortedWalrus View Post
That's not how tax subsidies work. Cities weren't offering money to Amazon from funds they already had. They were offering to let Amazon keep more of the money they made. Without Amazon they have $0 of that money and none of the economic growth it would bring that could actually create any new revenue.
But it's even more nuanced than that. The initial construction and post-development impacts that Amazon will have in terms of infrastructure, public safety, disruptions to adjacent business, etc etc. are very real dollars and cents. And by allowing Amazon "keep more of its money," these cities will very much be forced to foot more of the bill than they otherwise would have had no subsidies been offered at all.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
But it's even more nuanced than that. The initial construction and post-development impacts that Amazon will have in terms of infrastructure, public safety, disruptions to adjacent business, etc etc. are very real dollars and cents. And by allowing Amazon "keep more of its money," these cities will very much be forced to foot more of the bill than they otherwise would have had no subsidies been offered at all.
Exactly my point.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
It’s been said before, and I am heavily inclined to agree, that this will cause New York and DC to just get more expensive, which will encourage more people to move to Philadelphia. Also, the article makes a very good point about how the money we were offering Amazon should be going to public funds like transportation and infrastructure.
Except they also announced they're opening a 5,000 person office in Nashville and Nashville hits literally ZERO of the requirements on the RFP.

Transportation: ZERO
Airport: ZERO
Universities: Literally 1 of note, Vanderbilt. And it is hardly known for it's research.

The entire thing was a charade.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:30 PM
Leftist Correctist

Carrot of goodwill to the south.

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Except they also announced they're opening a 5,000 person office in Nashville and Nashville hits literally ZERO of the requirements on the RFP.

Transportation: ZERO
Airport: ZERO
Universities: Literally 1 of note, Vanderbilt. And it is hardly known for it's research.

The entire thing was a charade.
So what? Amazon has smaller outposts everywhere that don't meet the criteria of its HQ2. I still think it was probably a charade and Amazon had it narrowed down at the outset and went through the whole contest to drum up incentives and mine city data. But not because they have a Nashville office. The chosen locations do check a lot of the RFP boxes. Not the affordability ones...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
So what? Amazon has smaller outposts everywhere that don't meet the criteria of its HQ2. I still think it was probably a charade and Amazon had it narrowed down at the outset and went through the whole contest to drum up incentives and mine city data. But not because they have a Nashville office. The chosen locations do check a lot of the RFP boxes. Not the affordability ones...
What boxes does Nashville check?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Nashville isn't really part of the HQ2 even if they got a satellite.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Nothing, but that's why it didn't get a hq2/3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations