HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

View Poll Results: Which Party will you vote for?
PC 9 40.91%
Liberal 7 31.82%
NDP 5 22.73%
Will not vote 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The PCs announced today that Beth Crosbie - the daughter of John and Jane - will be their candidate in Virginia Waters Pleasnatville. She said on the news that John has volunteered to go door to door with her, but she told him they wouldn't get very far if he did!
Hopefully they get someone in St. John's East-Quidi Vidi. I don't want to vote for Antle or Michael.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Hopefully they get someone in St. John's East-Quidi Vidi. I don't want to vote for Antle or Michael.
I don't blame you!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:05 PM

Quote:
I don't blame you!
I should reword that. I don't want to vote for Dwight Ball.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:57 PM

I find it a bit amusing that the poll bar for PC is red while the Liberal bar is blue. NDP is orange though...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:19 PM

The PCs are also leading.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 9:39 PM

Ryan Cleary is in talks with the provincial PC party in attempt to run in the provincial election, thus confirming what I've said about him in the last 4 years: he's a slimy, opportunistic piece of shit who shouldn't be trusted.

I wonder how much he sold his NDP party membership for. Probably a pack-a-darts down by da Village.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Ryan Cleary is in talks with the provincial PC party in attempt to run in the provincial election, thus confirming what I've said about him in the last 4 years: he's a slimy, opportunistic piece of shit who shouldn't be trusted.

I wonder how much he sold his NDP party membership for. Probably a pack-a-darts down by da Village.
I was hoping someone over at NTV had had a few too many Jockey Clubs and misquoted Cleary, but now it's confirmed. I really don't understand the strategy. Maybe I'm naive, but a switch from NDP to PCP, for a seat in St. John's, seems politically suicidal. Is Winsor Lake such a conservative stronghold that Cleary thinks this the best path to maintaining influence in provincial government?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
I was hoping someone over at NTV had had a few too many Jockey Clubs and misquoted Cleary, but now it's confirmed. I really don't understand the strategy. Maybe I'm naive, but a switch from NDP to PCP, for a seat in St. John's, seems politically suicidal. Is Winsor Lake such a conservative stronghold that Cleary thinks this the best path to maintaining influence in provincial government?
The guy is just an outright idiot. Trying to make sense out of anything he does will lead to nothing more than a migraine.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
That seat is currently held by liberal Cathy Bennett and isn't likely to switch hands during the election, so it's an intriguing choice of district. Paul Davis could have pushed for him to run in that district to try and weaken the liberal hold in the city.

It would have made slightly more sense for him to run in a city district that falls under the St. John's South - Mount Pearl federal riding; those people know him and what (if anything) he's done for the district.

In the end, there's no sense in trying to think about the logic behind this move like statbass said.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 1:54 AM

Quote:
That seat is currently held by liberal Cathy Bennett and isn't likely to switch hands during the election, so it's an intriguing choice of district. Paul Davis could have pushed for him to run in that district to try and weaken the liberal hold in the city.

It would have made slightly more sense for him to run in a city district that falls under the St. John's South - Mount Pearl federal riding; those people know him and what (if anything) he's done for the district.

In the end, there's no sense in trying to think about the logic behind this move like statbass said.
He noted in his speech that he had lived in the district of Windsor Lake for years. As well, he lost twice in St. John's South Mount Pearl. I don't know which district he could have run in - and had a good shot in - that falls under that riding.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 12:44 PM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Yup

I'm starting to think I won't even be able to vote PC. Still no candidate in St. John's East- Quidi Vidi.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Yup

I'm starting to think I won't even be able to vote PC. Still no candidate in St. John's East- Quidi Vidi.
They do actually have one. Her name is Tina Olivero. I can't tell you anything about her, but you do have a PC candidate.

James MacLeod of the Telegram has a handy spreadsheet where anyone can go look up who is nominated in each district:
Nominations Spreadsheet

I'm sure they'll have a full slate, but I'm betting a few party staffers will end up on there to fill some spaces.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 9:19 PM

Tina Olivero owns Oil and Gas Magazine.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:09 PM

http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/canada.html

So check this out....

I don't even know what to say, except that I hope they are dead wrong.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:54 PM

And yet I still haven't met anyone in person who's backing the Liberals in this election. Am I just surrounded by the entire minority?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:45 PM

Quote:
And yet I still haven't met anyone in person who's backing the Liberals in this election. Am I just surrounded by the entire minority?
Same here. I'd like to know who they think the 1 PC and 1 NDP will be. I'm assuming Paul Davis and Lorraine Michael.

Anyways, there are still a lot of issues that are yet to be discussed, so I doubt many people have their minds made up yet. I am going to predict one of the lowest voter turnouts this time around.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:48 PM

Quote:
http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/canada.html

So check this out....

I don't even know what to say, except that I hope they are dead wrong.
Through our democratic process we could be doing the most undemocratic thing possible.... voting in a single-party state. I hope voters will realize that an opposition (whoever that may be) is needed for a healthy, accountable, transparent government.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Through our democratic process we could be doing the most undemocratic thing possible.... voting in a single-party state. I hope voters will realize that an opposition (whoever that may be) is needed for a healthy, accountable, transparent government.
We did it for Danny Williams in term 2. What was the opposition then, 4 seats?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 4:46 AM

Quote:
That's the thing I find amazing.Seems as though people will vote for him because he's not Kathy Dunderdale or Stephen Harper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's