HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:45 PM

A lot of negative posts in the user comments section of both articles.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

How LRT might look This illustration shows an artist's conception of LRT trains moving along King Street West, near Hess and Caroline streets.
City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:29 PM
Hammer'd

Looks nice.

But seriously? Making part of Main Street that is currently two-way, one way? Oh for god sakes. Talk about going backwards.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:47 PM

I hope those comments don't represent folks from Hamilton in general... doesn't look like a very sophisticated bunch. No offence!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 9:49 PM

Indeed - One professor of economics (*sarcasm*) cited the cost for LRT as 50 billion.

I think whenever one is feeling discouraged about the quality of debate on SSP or RTH, one should take a glance at a mainstream newspaper comments section.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 1:21 PM
Closed account

Also, you'll notice that the negative comments are coming from fewer than half a dozen people posting over and over - kinda like SSP now that I think about it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Looks nice.

But seriously? Making part of Main Street that is currently two-way, one way? Oh for god sakes. Talk about going backwards.
Converting a large stretch of Main from two-way to one-way does seem to be contrary to the overall traffic plans for the lower city. I am also concerned about the idea of general traffic lanes in the core. LRT without dedicated right of way is nothing more than a glorified streetcar. Experience in Toronto shows that the shared road access has a significant negative impact on transit service levels, particularly during peak periods. Transit staff should seriously consider splitting the LRT onto two roads in this stretch in order to maintain dedicated right of way.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Converting a large stretch of Main from two-way to one-way does seem to be contrary to the overall traffic plans for the lower city. I am also concerned about the idea of general traffic lanes in the core. LRT without dedicated right of way is nothing more than a glorified streetcar. Experience in Toronto shows that the shared road access has a significant negative impact on transit service levels, particularly during peak periods. Transit staff should seriously consider splitting the LRT onto two roads in this stretch in order to maintain dedicated right of way.
While I don't share your concern over the loss of traffic lanes in the core, I do think that, because this is a significant topic of worry for Hamiltonians at large, it would probably be best to plan for a 2-way LRT on Main in order to put this anxiety to rest and accelerate the planning process with maximum public support.

The fact that it will make the LRT faster, (possibly) help slow down traffic and improve the pedestrian experience on the most pedestrian-unfriendly street in the core, and help mitigate the risk of mixed traffic accidents by keeping the train on its own ROW is an added bonus.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 7:45 PM

I agree. Especially considering that the planned route has a travel time practically identical to route 10 as it stands now.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:16 AM

So I was at the B-line info session tonight. Never been inside the Scottish Rite at Queen and King, beautiful building.

-There are two large-ish gaps between stops. Plans should be made for future stops near Potruff in the east and near Cline in the west, once the local density goes up
-Looking at the aerial photos, I came to the sad realization that the parcel of land that would be ideal for the maintenance facilities and storage yard would be the huge parking lot otherwise known as the King-Caroline-Main-Bay block. If the old federal building is coming down, then the land's almost entirely deserted, just close George street running down the middle and start laying track (sigh)
-The CGI animation of the LRT running past Gore Park was cool, and the streetcars with the silver blue & gold paint job look pretty sweet. Then again, CGI can make anything look good
-I didn't get a chance to ask, but what's the reason for the new bridge over the 403? If the existing bridges can't take the weight, then so be it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamtransithistory View Post
-Looking at the aerial photos, I came to the sad realization that the parcel of land that would be ideal for the maintenance facilities and storage yard would be the huge parking lot otherwise known as the King-Caroline-Main-Bay block. If the old federal building is coming down, then the land's almost entirely deserted, just close George street running down the middle and start laying track (sigh).
This isn't what's formally proposed, is it? Sorry, hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not!

Last edited by geoff's two cents; Jan 20, 2011 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
This isn't what's formally proposed, is it?
As far as I know, there isn't a location for the yards/shops yet. And that worries me. We'll need a good sized piece of land for these facilities. Cathedral High School was built on the site of the former Sanford Yard and shops about 20 years ago (just to give an idea of the amount of land needed)

The further we get from King St, the more that will have to be spent on the tracks to connect the line with the yard. I'm worried that someone on council will see the cost of the yard connection, and say 'why are we building the yard so far away when there's this vacant lot right next to the line?'

Classic penny wise, pound foolish thinking. Stimulating development is what LRT lines are famous for, but it won't happen if prime real estate is used for yard space.

I was thinking that some of the empty space along Rebecca St would be fine: Close to both the B-Line and A-Line, but not too close to be ripe for redevelopment

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 7:03 AM

I was at that meeting too. Some interesting ideas, namely closing down king street between walnut and mary to vehicular traffic. That's their way of allowing local access to all the shops + parking and ensuring no one will be using king as a through street.

I dont think that any railyard will be located in the core. They're not that stupid. I can see a potential railyard for the B line somewhere along queenston:

At the traffic circle ( in place of that car dealership and the land between Berry and Cochrane or even Rosewood, demolishing the Tim Hortons and Big Bonus stores)

At parkdale (less likely)

Or over some parking lot/big box store in the Eastgate Area.

Depends on how much land they'll need. Downtown wont cut it, not to mention for expansion. I don't see them rerouting some trains on a north-south street to reach a Rebecca location. Obviously an A line yard would be near mountain garage in the airport area.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks for clarifying. A downtown rail storage depot sounded crazy, but in this city one honestly never knows.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:16 PM

The city has already purchased property a year or 2 ago for a maintenance yard for LRT. At the time they would not say where for various reasons.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

From what I heard it's near the West Harbour. Would be the yard for B-Line and A-Line.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 3:18 PM

Barton and Tiffany perhaps?

Still it doesn't make sense. what street would they be sending the rail cars down to get to that brownfield area, queen... hess... bay? It's a lot of track to run just to a yard.

It just seems like bad land use in that area, unless it is a very compact yard.

Last edited by markhornich; Jan 20, 2011 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 6:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

LRT plans for the B-Line in Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 6:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure