HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Hello. Last week I visited Chicago for the first time, and it very easily became one of my favorite cities. Of course, the collection of skyscrapers was excellent. Actually seeing buildings like the Willis Tower and the John Hancock Center, which I've seen thousands of pictures of, was a great experience. Although personally, my favorites were the three on Michigan directly north of the river - Wrigley, Tribune, and the Hotel Intercontinental. And, of course, I went to the Art Institute, MoSI, and all that good stuff. I'd also like to mention I was surprised at how relatively clean Chicago is. I was expecting it to be as dirty as New York and Philly, but wasn't in any way.

But I think what I liked about Chicago's cityscape was how it differed from New York, in that it's not as dense, but yet is large and tall on a similar, albeit smaller, scale. There are no stick-thin skyscrapers dominating the skyline like in NY. Plus, in Chicago, everything fits in so well with each other, especially along the river, where the old and new meet in such a visually satisfying way. That, and the sheer abundance of skyscrapers is always a treat, no matter where it is.
I love reading comments like this. I've lived in Chicago for 15 years but it can be challenging to view it objectively. It's therefore refreshing when family or friends visit and have to take all of the city in at once, wide-eyed and in complete awe. It really is a fantastic place to live.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 3:14 PM

Yes, I imagine it is. But I suppose you'd get used to seeing it. I've seen Independence Hall countless times, and after that it just becomes almost routine to see it without thinking about its historical significance. But for tourists, it's an amazing thing to get that first look at the bell tower and think about the Declaration and all that. Reminds me of my first trip to New York. I was 13. It was before 1WTC really took off. I'll never forget getting that first look at Midtown, with the Empire State Building sticking out above all others. But now that I've been there several times, (being so close to Philly), it doesn't hold the same impact that it used to. Sure, looking at the skyline is great, but it's not the same as before.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:19 PM

glad you had fun. thanks for the pics

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Hello. Last week I visited Chicago for the first time, and it very easily became one of my favorite cities. Of course, the collection of skyscrapers was excellent. Actually seeing buildings like the Willis Tower and the John Hancock Center, which I've seen thousands of pictures of, was a great experience. Although personally, my favorites were the three on Michigan directly north of the river - Wrigley, Tribune, and the Hotel Intercontinental. And, of course, I went to the Art Institute, MoSI, and all that good stuff. I'd also like to mention I was surprised at how relatively clean Chicago is. I was expecting it to be as dirty as New York and Philly, but wasn't in any way.

But I think what I liked about Chicago's cityscape was how it differed from New York, in that it's not as dense, but yet is large and tall on a similar, albeit smaller, scale. There are no stick-thin skyscrapers dominating the skyline like in NY. Plus, in Chicago, everything fits in so well with each other, especially along the river, where the old and new meet in such a visually satisfying way. That, and the sheer abundance of skyscrapers is always a treat, no matter where it is.
I lived in Chicago for 8 years before moving to NYC 8 or so months ago. Before that, I was actually traveling every week between Chicago and NYC for over 2 years. Coming back to Chicago most every weekend was like a breath of fresh air in terms of niceness. There are definitely nice areas of NYC, but Chicago is much cleaner and nicer in that regard. I live in a very nice neighborhood in Manhattan which is considered clean, but even some of the main avenues if they were in Chicago would be considered dirty. The lake and river are one of Chicago's greatest assets. It's easy to take them for granted, but they can be so nice and pretty much unparalleled in the US except for maybe Honolulu, parts of Southern California, and parts of South Florida. The river scene is fairlyunique to the US in my opinion.

I have had friends here visit Chicago or see pictures/street view when I show them and their reaction is always like yours. Their picture of what Chicago might be like is nowhere near the reality. One of my coworkers just came back and now wants to move from NYC to Chicago. Of course, Chicago is big but a lot of areas outside of downtown are pretty clean and nice (even some of the high crime areas have many blocks which are pretty normal looking and clean - but not all).

I miss Chicago a lot and will be back living there at some point in the near future. NYC is great, but I think people who actually have a pre-conceived notion about the city usually come away pretty surprised once they visit areas like downtown. I've met a number of foreign travelers who were shocked and Chicago has become their favorite US city. My girlfriend's parents from Shanghai weren't planning on visiting Chicago when they were in the US last, but I convinced them. It's now their favorite US city - they weren't impressed with cities like SF, LA, and NYC for one reason or another (i.e. they think most of NYC is dirty and a s*it hole, LA isn't walkable enough, SF is too small, etc).

And on that note, I see you are from Philadelphia. Great city - easily one of the most underrated in the US along with Chicago. Great pictures too - glad you enjoyed the city.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:11 AM

Excellent post Marothisu.... and welcome MrSaturn64... glad you enjoyed Chicago. As Marothisu pointed out, Philly is very much underrated. Yes, it has its drawbacks as all cities do (Chicago is no exception to this), but the pluses significantly outweigh the minuses. I have always enjoyed myself whenever I travel to Philadelphia.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:31 PM
BANNED

There's no question that Chicago offers better skyline vistas for pedestrians than NYC. I've been in new york for 7 years. The only great view of the city is when i'm biking over one of the bridges or in a highrise (in which case, nyc is obvi the winner). The rest of the time you are too boxed in to see anything. That has its own urban glory, but i'm just considering vistas here.

As for the clean part, NYC is pretty clean now, all that grittiness was washed away at the same time that Sex and the City drew tons of normies to town. It's not as clean as Chicago, but that's not possible with all the people.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:09 PM

Well, it's not possible without alleys

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:40 PM

^
Exactly. Chicago would definitely be grittier if it had the population density of NYC, but it would still be considerably cleaner than other large cities. Alleys do A LOT for keeping the parkway free of trash and utility lines.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 6:30 PM

^ This is the single greatest reason why my wife does not like New York. The minute we arrived there and she saw the seemingly endless rows of trash bags lined up in front of buildings, she was pretty much done with that city.

I tried to get her to look past this aspect and still enjoy our trip but she pretty much checked out at the point of the trash bags and the smell emanating therefrom. I am sure that she is in the minority with her feelings but thats just the way my wife is. She can't stand trash and clutter.

I still enjoy my business trips there though

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
^ This is the single greatest reason why my wife does not like New York. The minute we arrived there and she saw trash bags lined up in front of buildings, she was pretty much done with that city.

I tried to get her to look past this aspect and still enjoy our trip but she pretty much checked out at the point of the trash bags and the smell emanating therefrom. I am sure that she is in the minority with her feelings but thats just the way my wife is. She can't stand trash and clutter.

I still enjoy my business trips there though
I had the same reaction - was beyond my experience at the time. In front of the swankiest places - piles of garbage - stinking rancid garbage.

I tell my friends to visit Manhattan - for the experience - and to better appreciate Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I had the same reaction - was beyond my experience at the time. In front of the swankiest places - piles of garbage - stinking rancid garbage.

I tell my friends to visit Manhattan - for the experience - and to better appreciate Chicago.
Thanks for your input here Harry.... and I will be sure to tell my wife what you said when I get home. Lol. She is not alone

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 6:55 PM

but then you go in the alley and the rats are like "what are you doing here"

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
but then you go in the alley and the rats are like "what are you doing here"
..... better in the alley than in front of your home

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

let's please get this thread back on topic.

no more chicago vs. new york nonsense.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 12:03 AM

Aug 8

From Indiana and Roosevelt.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 3:17 PM

final outcome still going to depend on the top

wide sides have the setback that doesn't seem as pronounced as the render, already

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 10:20 PM
BANNED

The roof at Cityfront Place has good views of One Bennett Park, 465 North Park and Vista.

One Bennett Park, new condos and apartments by YoChicago, on Flickr

You can see more new construction views from more rooftops in our Flickr photostream.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 10:35 PM

Are the top floors penthouses or a resteraunt/lounge?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 10:49 PM

^^Great pic

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 11:33 PM

Looks like around 350 feet to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive