HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 9:30 PM

Urban Planning Film Festival hits Halifax

So I've been hinting about this for a while, but now that it's posted on the fusion website - I can confirm...there will be an urban planning film festival in Halifax in March called Baconfest!

History: When Rollin Stanley came to Calgary to be the GM of Planning, he asked me and a couple of others to organize a film festival to showcase the City Building documentaries done by Edmund Bacon - he was the Urban Planner/Architect that was head of the Philadelphia Planning Commission and father of famous actor Kevin Bacon.

Rollin was able to get access to his films from the American Institute of Architects and we did our film festival Baconfest showing them and other more modern films. During the course of that festival, a few people in Halifax got wind of it and when I was home was able to put the right people together (fusion, Teal Architecture and the City) and here we are.

The 3 night event will take place March 9-12 at the O'Regan Theatre in the new library. We are setting up an eventbrite for people to obtain tickets - the event is free and yes there will be bacon. I will be there and Rollin is the special guest presenter. http://fusionhalifax.ca/events/baconfest/

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Jan 19, 2015 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 2:33 AM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
So I've been hinting about this for a while, but now that it's posted on the fusion website - I can confirm...there will be an urban planning film festival in Halifax in March called Baconfest!

History: When Rollin Stanley came to Calgary to be the GM of Planning, he asked me and a couple of others to organize a film festival to showcase the City Building documentaries done by Edmund Bacon - he was the Urban Planner/Architect that was head of the Philadelphia Planning Commission and father of famous actor Kevin Bacon.

Rollin was able to get access to his films from the American Institute of Architects and we did our film festival Baconfest showing them and other more modern films. During the course of that festival, a few people in Halifax got wind of it and when I was home was able to put the right people together (fusion, Teal Architecture and the City) and here we are.

The 3 night event will take place March 9-12 at the O'Regan Theatre in the new library. We are setting up an eventbrite for people to obtain tickets - the event is free and yes there will be bacon. I will be there and Rollin is the special guest presenter. http://fusionhalifax.ca/events/baconfest/

This sounds awsome. I floated the idea of an architectural film fest a while ago but didn't have time to do anything about it. I'm excited

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
This sounds awsome. I floated the idea of an architectural film fest a while ago but didn't have time to do anything about it. I'm excited
The plan is this event will run for 3 nights and be free to anyone who wants to attend.

There is huge interest and Rollin (and the baconfest 'team' who were invited) are excited to be coming. Looks like it will tie in well with the Carmichael lecture which will be the Thursday night.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 11:03 PM

Sounds interesting! I've been meaning to look into checking out Fusion Halifax's events, I'll try to get to this one of the nights!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
The plan is this event will run for 3 nights and be free to anyone who wants to attend.

There is huge interest and Rollin (and the baconfest 'team' who were invited) are excited to be coming. Looks like it will tie in well with the Carmichael lecture which will be the Thursday night.
Has the lecturer for the Carmichael been picked yet?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Has the lecturer for the Carmichael been picked yet?
Expect an announcement mid-February.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Expect an announcement mid-February.
A couple of us are helping out with that - got it paired up with the film fest so that Baconfest will run Monday-Wednesday and then the lecture is Thursday.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 5:15 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I can't even tell you how much I plan on being there. This is exactly why I was born!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I can't even tell you how much I plan on being there. This is exactly why I was born!!
Bah-dum-chhhh!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 10:55 PM

We will be setting up an eventbrite so people can register for tickets shortly. We will also be publishing the film list shortly.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 11:34 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Bah-dum-chhhh!
Nothing better than seeing a good plan come together

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:48 PM

There is a facebook event for the film festival; which has over 150 folks attending - so this will be popular.
Fusion has setup an eventbrite where you can register for tickets (they are free). So if you are interested in coming please register for tickets for the evening you want to come - hopefully all of them!
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/baconfes...ts-15378636917

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:15 PM

The movie list has been announced on the fusion website.
Everyone is welcome.
Maple/bacon cupcakes have been ordered along with coffee/cookies and other treats for the evening. We just completed Baconfest2 here in Calgary with 300+ folks attending last night and they didn't want to leave. We normally ended at 8, we didn't finish until 8:35 because the conversation kept going. Was awesome!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 8:31 PM

So just so everyone knows, I'll be coming back to Halifax to do this festival (since I was the co-organizer of the one in Calgary). I'm encouraging everyone to come out. Should be a fun time. It's free, there will be bacon treats (we've ordered bacon and maple bacon cupcakes).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 11:49 PM

Looks like we are getting a lot of interest from the public. None of the familiar nimby folks on the list, but then again I don't know everyone's names here so hopefully some of you are coming! Monday is certainly looking to be the popular night with Wednesday coming in at Second Place.

For those of you who haven't already heard (I guess the news is out now that they took out at ad in Metro) but the Carmichael lecture speaker will be Naheed Nenshi.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 8:56 PM

Mayor Nenshi has been confirmed as the speaker for the Carmichael Lecture, which will be March 12th in the O'Reagan Theatre. 6-8pm.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 7:40 PM

Change of venue for the Carmichael lecture. Because of popularity - it has been moved to the Westin Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:24 AM

I am puzzled about the visit of Mayor Nenshi.
Coming from a city with a greater population than Nova Scotia, built on oil and cows what can he tell us that is relevant to what we face : an aging population, a succession of provincial governments which refuse to make hard decisions in case they annoy certain groups and therefore risk being thrown out of office, and lie or withold information from citizens.
Will he just mouth the now agreed municipal mantra " more federal money for towns and cities', " cities will drive our economy" etc. ?
I'd rather listen to 30 minutes of Ken Rowe.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I am puzzled about the visit of Mayor Nenshi.
Coming from a city with a greater population than Nova Scotia, built on oil and cows what can he tell us that is relevant to what we face : an aging population, a succession of provincial governments which refuse to make hard decisions in case they annoy certain groups and therefore risk being thrown out of office, and lie or withold information from citizens.
Will he just mouth the now agreed municipal mantra " more federal money for towns and cities', " cities will drive our economy" etc. ?
I'd rather listen to 30 minutes of Ken Rowe.
Hey, Calgary's population is aging too. (every Canadian city is.)

I think he's a bit of a star in Canadian urbanism circles, so that's the big attraction--but I'm sure he'll have some thoughts on the relationship between municipal, provincial, and federal government that's just as applicable in Calgary as it is here. And a "provincial government that refuses to make hard decisions because they annoy certain groups"? You've just described why Alberta still hasn't implemented a badly needed sales tax. Alberta's political culture at the provincial level is astonishingly pandering and cowardly.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:19 PM

How did the festival go?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment