HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Crystal Island in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Moscow Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 1:10 AM
Reno Rising

I rather like the idea of this building. I reminds me of a large flower spreading open. Also this is a smaller model reminiscing me of X Seed. Crystal Island main problem is sunlight not entering into the center of the structure. The project only adds to the futuristic edge Moscow is starting to take on. I say build it, Moscow Tower can have the sky, and this project can have the ground.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 1:58 AM
Back from the dead

I rather like this project. The fact that it tapers to the top facilitates a more organic blending with the surroundings instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. Granted, it's still a monster but as monumental buildings go , it's far more graceful than is often the case.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 5:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
What about Eiffel Tower? Does it really serve any purpose at all (other than aesthetic)? IMO this project will be inifinitely more practical than Eiffel Tower.

@Nowhereman1280

Moscow, with its difficult climate and dilapidating Soviet-era buildings that are being knocked down needs a lot of modern indoor space, so do not fret about occupancy.

from http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/12/26/...ing-to-moscow/

"The statistics for the project are absolutely staggering; floor area alone will be four times the size of Pentagon in Washington DC. The incredible 1500 ft. tall multi use structure will feature 900 apartments, 3000 hotel rooms, an international school for 500 students, cinemas, a theater, sports complex and much more. There will also be a 16,500 space underground parking lot for all the visitors. The Crystal Island visitors will be able to enjoy panoramic views of Moscow on the viewing platforms located 980 ft. above ground."
Nobody lives in the Eiffel Tower. Never did.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 3:56 AM
Don't tase me, Bro!

Beautiful model and some nice renderings, but this building is pointless. Anyone can say it looks like a flower and it's pretty or it reminds them of the eiffel tower or whatever, but the fact of the matter is, this building is so huge that no one will ever be able to see it as it was designed, unless from an airplane. this is another case of an architect wasting tons of money on a grand design without taking any time to consider the people in and around the building at ground level.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 7:49 AM

Is it utterly possible to construct or merely imagine a "thing" uglier than this? Lack of use, lack of space, lack of money, lack of design but above all lack of imagination from the respective architect... This colosal monument to everything ugly is just a demonstration of what will come thanks to the new russian economy boom... just wait and see.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:20 AM

This thing is really pretty damn sweet. It reminds me of the X seed planned over in Japan. The only thing is getting the financing together, $4B isn't all that easy to come by, especially with the credit markets as they are currently. I say the odds are very low of this getting built, but if it does I'd love to see it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:20 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
@Nowhereman1280

Moscow, with its difficult climate and dilapidating Soviet-era buildings that are being knocked down needs a lot of modern indoor space, so do not fret about occupancy.

from http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/12/26/...ing-to-moscow/

"The statistics for the project are absolutely staggering; floor area alone will be four times the size of Pentagon in Washington DC. The incredible 1500 ft. tall multi use structure will feature 900 apartments, 3000 hotel rooms, an international school for 500 students, cinemas, a theater, sports complex and much more. There will also be a 16,500 space underground parking lot for all the visitors. The Crystal Island visitors will be able to enjoy panoramic views of Moscow on the viewing platforms located 980 ft. above ground."
Touche about the point that the building can be filled by inhabitants of to-be-demolished Soviet structures. Perhaps the building will have purpose.

However, is it necessary to be so MASSIVE? It's going to be blocking a lot of sunlight in the near vicinity..this aside from those on the inside. How will the indoor aesthetics be addressed? Would you want to live directly in the middle of this thing, if there is no natural light at all?

Unless this buiding is an exception to the rule (as the atrium idea suggests), any structure of such mass has always been met with negativity and disgust because of it's infringement on natural and general space for miles. A building needs to 'fit' well and mesh with its surroundings, not dominate and suffocate them.

Plus, by building one structure to replace hundreds for the sake of consolidation, this building has played into the feeling that it is an isolated entity that doesn't promote outside interaction or attention. Might as well call it "Moscow-X" or:

M assive
O bvert
S uper
C enter
O f
W aste

As it will contribute absolutely ZERO to the great city of Moscow; it will be, in fact, a completely independent city that won't enliven urban acivity or promote Moscow's greatness as a city core would.

The crystal, transparent, shiny exterior may soften its grandiousity, but with such a large base surely there is better use by building a well developed neighborhood city center.

My God, with 4 billion euros, you can build a few 1,000+ foot towers, and surround them with great urban stuctures that integrate retail and commercial aspects. Furthermore, such a neighborhood can be shared and immersed into Moscow as one of its great urban meetingpoints. It will not and should not be merely an 'independent and massive tower of awe', but something that Moscow should be better able to benefit from. This project, IMO does not promote an idea of betterment or amelioration. Instead, it seems that the tower would rather play off of it's own greatness, completely ignoring the city that it will be built in by promoting such an intimidating and isolating appearance.

Such funds and vision can be used much better to benefit Moscow, while still aspiring to build great buildings.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRey View Post
However, is it necessary to be so MASSIVE? It's going to be blocking a lot of sunlight in the near vicinity..
Given that this project is being built on an island and that the rivers surrounding the island are fairly wide, even at a height of 450 m, I don't think it will block that much if any sunlight in the near vicinity.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 9:02 PM

different... i like it.

it will fit in well with Moscows older pointy 'scrapers

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 6:50 PM
BANNED

@ all the people saying that there will be plenty of demmand for this floor space.

I agree, there is plenty of demmand for floorspace in Moscow. However, this is a demmand for pleasant floor space, not floorspace that is 1/2km from the nearest window. No one wants to occupy extremely large floorplates because of the depressing nature of never seeing outside. Its completely impractical, there has never been a truly successful extremely large floorplate building and there never will be, humans just don't like living and working in such conditions...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 3:33 AM

cool renders, i like it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
@ all the people saying that there will be plenty of demmand for this floor space.

I agree, there is plenty of demmand for floorspace in Moscow. However, this is a demmand for pleasant floor space, not floorspace that is 1/2km from the nearest window. No one wants to occupy extremely large floorplates because of the depressing nature of never seeing outside. Its completely impractical, there has never been a truly successful extremely large floorplate building and there never will be, humans just don't like living and working in such conditions...
Remember, most office space will have access to windows that's just about as good as in any other building, as the floors are stacked around the circumference with the central interiors being largely open space.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post

You nailed it right on the head. I know this thread hasn't seen activity for quite some time, but I just stumbled upon it and felt compelled to comment. I hope to Flying Spaghetti Monster this doesn't get built, even if it's way over in Moscow, where I may or may not ever even travel to in my lifetime. This is a very bad idea, and is NOT the direction that we want to take our cities as we search for better densities, urbanity, etc.

Would you people really want to live in some sort of enclosed environment, a sort of "biodome" with no real reason to venture out into the open air much? It sounds like that is sort of the purpose here, with the planners boasting about all the things needed for life, liberty and happiness are to be found within this abomination.

I think these "self-enclosed city" concepts were kind of novel before, but I'm getting rather weary of them, and even if they are just concepts, they still divert resources and intelligence away from addressing city/human population issues in productive ways.

Humans need to live more densely to have less impact on the greater environment, but we also need the open sky; large cities exist that already accomplish both, and continue to improve. These "extreme" concepts are not contributing to the good effort, imo.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 7:34 PM

In either case, a project as extravagant and inefficient, though innovative, as this one is incredibly unlikely to see the light of day in this economy. I mean, they can't even find the funds for the Russia Tower, billing it as economically unfeasible, and that project seems many times more efficient than this white elephant.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 6:40 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
looks cool and would be cool to see it built.

if they can solve the light problems somehow and make it feel like your close to the outside even if you are way deep inside it. with parks and stuff it might work

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive