HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel
Another thing to consider is that because this isn't technically a stand-alone building, but part of a larger development, I'm sure that Lowenberg, as developer or architect of record has procured rights to buy materials at certain costs or pre-purchased certain construction materials at a certain price before prices continue to climb.
Wouldn't this kind of agreement only work if Loewenberg was using the same contractor for all of the projects? It seems like it would be a little difficult to work out with two different contractors (e.g. Walsh and McHugh).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow
IMPORTANT -

Unsubstantiated RUMOR that if true could make Aqua kinda meh -

New design submission narrows the balconies and eliminates wrap-around balconies. Archidose has the possible tip on his blog, which he says is rumor.
PURE BULLSHIT

A rumor is exactly what it is. After all the hype and positive worldwide acclaim this building has received, anyone would be FUCKING STUPID TO CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

Anyway, I've found out that the height of this building from Columbus Drive to the very top-tip of the structure is 815'-4"
The top residential floor is 81, and there are several duplexes that combine both floors 80 and 81.

Last edited by BVictor1; Oct 11, 2006 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 5:05 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^It doesn't matter anyway, it's not like we're ever going to see the thing.

Thank you, Blue Cross.

Not to pimp my thread, but I've got some other brand-new renders. My fave is the one below.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 5:27 AM
Pacific Wonderland

^^ Looks like Times Square in Kuala Lumpur, right down to the big block in between the towers.

What is the name of your new "fave?"

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 5:38 AM
Because I'm Clever!

You're not aware of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Center? Home of the largest market exchange on the planet?

I think the building is okay, it's the render that turned out great, in case anyone is confused.

Also, the rest of the renders are in the Chicago 2010 link in my sig.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
You're not aware of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Center? Home of the largest market exchange on the planet?
World's largest? Somewhere in Dubai a set of ears just perked up.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 11:11 PM
TL;DR

Hmm.. Yeah, that looks pretty good. Now - get the metallics on Hyatt Center right. THEN I'll be impressed.

haha, no, nice job

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 10:22 PM

Hmm. . . looks like I see settlement markers. . .

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 10:25 PM

Do you guys think that it would possible that this building this month?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 2:12 AM
Chicago

October 13, 2006

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 2:20 AM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago
Hmm. . . looks like I see settlement markers. . .

^ Is this a settlement marker? I enlarged one of the pictures I took. I thought settlement marks were green. Maybe you saw something else that I didn't pick-up on my photos.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind

^ Is this a settlement marker? I enlarged one of the pictures I took. I thought settlement marks were green. Maybe you saw something else that I didn't pick-up on my photos.
they usually are green, but sometimes they are pink. the marks for 550 st. clair were pink, but remember, settlement marks usually go around the perimeter of the site. you uaually see them on the curb.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 4:47 AM
devout Pizzatarian

this was posted by marvel 33 in the rundown thread, so i'm just moving it over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel 33

October 14, 2006
NewcitySkyline - Laurence Geller, President and CEO of Strategic Hotel Funding, LLC (an affiliate of Strategic Hotels & Resorts Inc.) and Joel Carlins and James Loewenberg, co-CEOs of Aqua developer Magellan Development Group, announced jointly an agreement to acquire on completion approximately 15 floors of the 82-story highly anticipated Aqua at Lakeshore East.

More...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
this was posted by marvel 33 in the rundown thread, so i'm just moving it over here.

Steely, don't forget to update the height of the tower. I posted it above. I still have to change it on Emporis.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 2:05 AM
(the rascacielo freak)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind

^ Is this a settlement marker?

Isn't that a soil boring flag?

Those help the survey crew identify precisely where the soil boring was taken. On large projects the geotechnical engineers will then use these on a horizontal plan combined with their vertical soil core data to create a 3D model of what soil conditions are beneath the site... the structural and foundation engineers can then use this to create (or refine) their design, how far down the caissons will go, etc.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 4:44 AM
Content provider

I'm afraid I'm against that blue cross height increase for that reason and because it will crowd 340, which I'm liking a lot

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 5:01 PM

More settlement marks. . . although hardly evident in this phone-cam snapshot. . .

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 2:19 AM

When do you think actual pile driving will begin?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 1:33 PM

As far as I'm aware they're not driving any piles. Almost everything on the site will be supported by drilled piers. As to when they're going to start drilling, I would guess sometime within the next month and a half.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 2:25 PM
Registered

Gang spoke yesterday on Aqua at the CTBUH lecture at IIT. Not a whole lot of new information, but she did explain further the design process, which was pretty cool. Some facts I hadn't heard before:

Studio Gang "set up" the order of the building, then they "let the architecture determine" what it "wanted to be" from that point forward. Her example was the glazed parts that come flush with the surface. Since these don't have overhanging balconies, they are actually going to be glazed with a more reflective window than the rest, to cut down on glare inside the units. She showed a diagram of this, and it looks pretty funky and cool.

She also addressed the energy efficiency issue re: the balconies, which many here have discussed. The answer: As someone suggested here, they are fairly small when considering the whole bulk of the building. Gang said that the building has already passed Chicago's revised energy code for efficiency. However, she said they are looking into some kind of "minimal" device that will cut down / elminate possible condensation from the floor above. This is a concern for them aesthetically, since they want the interiors of the units to be as "raw as possible."

Finally, as I said in the Boom Rundown, this forum was featured prominently in her presentation. Congratulations to the "heavy hitters" around here for attracting the eye of a great talent.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot to mention this: She had some of BVic's photos of the model in the presentation too. They looked really sharp. She said that she loves photos like that, because it's good when you still like your own work when seen through someone else's eyes.

Last edited by honte; Oct 26, 2006 at 2:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive