HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
actually, it is an issue. they are building it with the ability to extended the edges. i.e. not wide enough for 6, but expandable to 6. not the way the AFB was done. there is a diagram showing this many pages back in this thread. unless something has changed since then...
Exactly, the new pedestrian and cycling lanes will be added to the sides of the bridge when the 6th lane is needed.

I am guessing this alone will probably be a 6 to 12 myth project costing 20 million or more.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 6:09 AM
retro_orange

I would like to see the numbers after the bridge toll issue is resolved. as of now it's skewed because the Pattullo has no tolls so it has the appearance that there's a massive need for the bridge but in reality it's people being cheap. I'm curious what the numbers would be if they made the tolls consistent on all bridges how much the numbers would drop.

I have a feeling the justification for going for 6 lanes immediately is because the proponents are pretending that the status quo will stay the same but I have a feeling it will be the Port Mann bridge all over again once the Pattullo is tolled.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 7:50 AM

The Pattullo Bridge is a little different in this regard, as the 3rd lane in each direction would have simply been add / drop lanes rather than true through lanes.

Look at the diagrams, overall a good design, but all of the awkward merges shown on the approaches (created choke points) are artificially created due to the 4 lane opening agenda (essentially the entire design of the project is obviously designed for a 6 lane structure)

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
I would like to see the numbers after the bridge toll issue is resolved. as of now it's skewed because the Pattullo has no tolls so it has the appearance that there's a massive need for the bridge but in reality it's people being cheap. I'm curious what the numbers would be if they made the tolls consistent on all bridges how much the numbers would drop.

I have a feeling the justification for going for 6 lanes immediately is because the proponents are pretending that the status quo will stay the same but I have a feeling it will be the Port Mann bridge all over again once the Pattullo is tolled.
If they cap tolls at $500 or eliminate them all together, it will be a free for all on any of the bridges. I easily spend more than $500 a year. Watch how busy the GEB, and PMB, becomes. This would ease congestion on the current free bridges. However, who is going to make up the difference to Trio and the consortium who built and operate the GEB? Guess what?? We are one way or another.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvug View Post
@s211 What's your source? I'm surprised to hear this.
A well-placed Translink staffer. That's all I can say.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 5:44 PM

I thought the NDP were pro transit and anti cars. Eliminating tolls on all bridges just sends the message that it is better to get back into your car and forget about taking the bus or Skytrain. Seems like Big John is talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
I thought the NDP were pro transit and anti cars. Eliminating tolls on all bridges just sends the message that it is better to get back into your car and forget about taking the bus or Skytrain. Seems like Big John is talking out of both sides of his mouth.
I totally concur.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 6:03 AM

http://www.theprovince.com/news/loca...429/story.html

Hepner such a fraud. So it seems like according to this article the NDP is for replacing this bridge which will cost a ton of money just like GMT. So why are they seemingly for this new bridge while the tunnel is was past its due date and we all know that one might get cancelled.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
So why are they seemingly for this new bridge while the tunnel is was past its due date and we all know that one might get cancelled.
The Patullo is a lot further past it's due date than the GMT. When was the last time the tunnel caught fire?

And the claim that the tunnel needs to be replaced due to earthquake concerns seems a bit dubious given that the government's own experts said that it wasn't a concern back before they got bridge fever.

If river crossings were replaced according to their structural need then the Patullo would have been done far before the Port Mann was.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 7:35 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
The Patullo is a lot further past it's due date than the GMT. When was the last time the tunnel caught fire?

And the claim that the tunnel needs to be replaced due to earthquake concerns seems a bit dubious given that the government's own experts said that it wasn't a concern back before they got bridge fever.

If river crossings were replaced according to their structural need then the Patullo would have been done far before the Port Mann was.
They're both past their prime but the GMT is much more important piece of infrastructure that needs to be replaced before the Patullo

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
They're both past their prime but the GMT is much more important piece of infrastructure that needs to be replaced before the Patullo
LOL, so wrong. The bias from some posters is hilariously obvious on this forum.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 11:34 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
LOL, so wrong. The bias from some posters is hilariously obvious on this forum.
Bingo. It was a loaded troll comment. Not worth starting a rebuttal.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 12:21 AM
perhaps . . .

libtard might seem to troll (often?), but he is also largely correct on this. Both are high priority, both are past due, and the GMT crossing is the larger connection. (I use the Patullo considerably more than the tunnel.)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 8:09 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
libtard might seem to troll (often?), but he is also largely correct on this. Both are high priority, both are past due, and the GMT crossing is the larger connection. (I use the Patullo considerably more than the tunnel.)
They call me a troll. Why is it so important to replace a bridge leading into new Westminster when they haven't played ball with any transportation plans in the past. Is the NFPR included in this Patullo proposal? If not then screw them they should be happy if the Patullo becomes unuseable it'll mean less cars driving through their precious city. GMT is part of a major transportation corridor with the ROW already set aside and prepped.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Haha. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You are one the most well-known trolls on SSP. I know that. Others know that. Time to shape up or ship out.

Last edited by Stingray2004; Jul 16, 2017 at 8:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 8:54 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
They call me a troll. Why is it so important to replace a bridge leading into new Westminster when they haven't played ball with any transportation plans in the past. Is the NFPR included in this Patullo proposal? If not then screw them they should be happy if the Patullo becomes unuseable it'll mean less cars driving through their precious city. GMT is part of a major transportation corridor with the ROW already set aside and prepped.
Both are pretty well used...

Patullo is a ticking time bomb without factoring in seismics. GMT is a time bomb when you factor in seismics.

I'd worry more about Patullo than GMT, but I agree about New West historically being difficult about it.

Burnaby does however have the RoW for the Stormont Connector ready to go. It wouldn't take much for it to be full expressway between Patullo and Gaglardi.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 5:51 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Haha. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You are one the most well-known trolls on SSP. I know that. Others know that. Time to shape up or ship out.
Oh stop being a crybaby because I created an unbiased political discussion where I don't bash others.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 9:00 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Well, there you go. I agreed with your prioritization, but this characterization is just stupid. You are back on the hyperbolic idiot list.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
That wasn't at all a loaded troll comment, at all! Some of you need to calm down. What he said was totally valid.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 11:53 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Both are pretty well used...

Patullo is a ticking time bomb without factoring in seismics. GMT is a time bomb when you factor in seismics.

I'd worry more about Patullo than GMT, but I agree about New West historically being difficult about it.

Burnaby does however have the RoW for the Stormont Connector ready to go. It wouldn't take much for it to be full expressway between Patullo and Gaglardi.
I classify the Stormont Connector in the same category as a bridge at the bottom of Boundary. We shouldn't even entertain the idea because it's never going to happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure