HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
I think the connector should open any day now. I drove through there on Saturday night, the Hwy15 offramp light wasn't working, but the other light was. From Hwy 15 to 179th was all paved and lined. There was even a crew repainting intersection markings at 104th and SFPR, at 8:30pm.

I drove by the 96th ave end at noon today, and the intersections is all street swept, and the concrete barriers are replaced with plastic drum type barriers.
It was fully open this morning. A great surprise for my morning commute! The lights by the CN intermodal yard seem a bit long, but they had a bunch of people there observing so hopefully they will fine tune that.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 6:50 PM

I wrote to the government asking about the original plans for the GEC and this is what I got back.

"The design of the Golden Ears Connector (GEC) was changed during construction and there will be no new railway crossing at 177A Street from the GEC to 104 Avenue . Access to Barnston Island and Surrey Bend Regional Park will continue to be realigned via 104 Avenue crossing. The 104 Avenue intersection and crossing is in an interim configuration as CN Rail completes work on the railway signals in the coming months."

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 11:44 PM

It's all open now.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the pics.

While I wish these sections were more geared towards controlled access design standards, this link will be a huge help.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:16 AM

In the second picture, that right turn lane looks haphazard (well the whole thing does) Also why isn't it all lit?

*edit. I guess it's still under construction and not finished yet

Last edited by osirisboy; May 15, 2017 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:32 AM
Dahvie Fan

Bc value engineering at its finest

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:45 AM

I don't understand in the second picture, why is there a stoplight, when there is a barrier in the middle of the road?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:48 AM

Guessing the barrier is only temporary.

Could be a dispute between Translink and city over who pays for he operation of the signal. Similar thing happened in Maple Ridge when the GEB first opened. One signal operated as a 4 way stop for years...

Original plan was for 4 lanes he entire length. Sad to see how much it was downsized.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Guessing the barrier is only temporary.

Could be a dispute between Translink and city over who pays for he operation of the signal. Similar thing happened in Maple Ridge when the GEB first opened. One signal operated as a 4 way stop for years...

Original plan was for 4 lanes he entire length. Sad to see how much it was downsized.
The whole project is not completed yet. The main connector might be open but there are still a few things still under construction like the intersection at 177a and 179. CN is still working on some re-configuring of the 2 railway crossings.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 6:04 AM

Oh look, a brand new 2 lane country road with traffic lights. Yay. Compliments the Surrey section of Highway 17 very well. Thanks for the pics.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 9:02 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Oh look, a brand new 2 lane country road with traffic lights. Yay. Compliments the Surrey section of Highway 17 very well. Thanks for the pics.
The ridiculousness of one lane - fortunately it will be years before the road is heavily congested and then the BC MOT and municipalities can shell out more for a project that should have been done right the first time.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:30 PM

I scoured the Net looking for update info on the true completion of the GEC but came up blank. Nothing has changed since Spring when the connector was opened. The second photo above only looks slightly different with a set of new train warning lights still not functional. Hydro still have a poll in the wrong place. The intersections at 179th st and 104th are not completed.

Anyone have any info on the projected timeline for total completion?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
I scoured the Net looking for update info on the true completion of the GEC but came up blank. Nothing has changed since Spring when the connector was opened. The second photo above only looks slightly different with a set of new train warning lights still not functional. Hydro still have a poll in the wrong place. The intersections at 179th st and 104th are not completed.

Anyone have any info on the projected timeline for total completion?
This road is a joke.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 6:08 AM

The amount of intersections on it are asinine.

The entire area where it meets the SFPR is such a cluster fuck of traffic lights.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 10:29 AM

Hooterville10 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The amount of intersections on it are asinine.

The entire area where it meets the SFPR is such a cluster fuck of traffic lights.
So true, so true. Again, this- and yes, I know it boils down to $$$, but again, this is the local resistance, or neglect of using overpasses, or better yet, underpasses.
Connections via small tunnels, both out here in the suburbs, and even moreso in the central city, would do so much, alleviate so much clog-up, yet the local mentality rejects them.
Fukkit, it was until when (?) that the Trans Canada highway swept through the Vallley, over the Port Mann over the Ironworkers Bridge .... then had TWO set of traffic lights in North Van!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 6:28 PM
Joshua B.

It's pretty much completed. The pictures above do not do any justice as the road is super narrow with narrow shoulders.

Not even that, the uneven road, lack of adequate lighting, road markers/jersey barriers and bend (just after you pass 96th Ave) really make it a dangerous road in rainy weather. I was going 50km/hr and really felt uncomfortable coming around that "soft" bend.

The worst thing was the dumb light cycles on those unnecessary intersections.

How the fuck does a road like this even get built in a developed world? Someone HAS to do a full audit of the contractors here to see what the fuck happened.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post

It's pretty much completed. The pictures above do not do any justice as the road is super narrow with narrow shoulders.

Not even that, the uneven road, lack of adequate lighting, road markers/jersey barriers and bend (just after you pass 96th Ave) really make it a dangerous road in rainy weather. I was going 50km/hr and really felt uncomfortable coming around that "soft" bend.

The worst thing was the dumb light cycles on those unnecessary intersections.

How the fuck does a road like this even get built in a developed world? Someone HAS to do a full audit of the contractors here to see what the fuck happened.
The intersection at 104th going to Barnston island was a late design change and the ground is being pre-loaded. There will be a new wide turning lane across the tracks eventually. I agree that the light cycles at the CN inter-modal yard are stupid.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Fukkit, it was until when (?) that the Trans Canada highway swept through the Vallley, over the Port Mann over the Ironworkers Bridge .... then had TWO set of traffic lights in North Van!
Lonsdale was replaced first in 1991 by the interchange, Westview in 1997. Hastings had a traffic light until 1992 when they built the Cassiar Connector.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Lonsdale was replaced first in 1991 by the interchange, Westview in 1997. Hastings had a traffic light until 1992 when they built the Cassiar Connector.
Don't forget Highway 91 and 91A was a light. 91A and Howes was a light and of course still to this day, yes i know about the up upcoming interchange, Highway 91 and 72. BC in a nutshell.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 6:29 AM

This road shows the full competence of Translink and the Metro board of mayors. And people want them to replace the Patullo...

Major road projects should be done by MOT. All major bridges along major routes and all highways/major express ways should be moved over to the provincial jurisdiction and out of the hands of Translink and the board.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure