HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 7:42 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...REE/905149986#

Silverstein facing uphill struggle downtown
Port Authority digs in its heels; the agency will finance one building at the World Trade Center but wants one of Silverstein's plots on the site in return.

By Theresa Agovino
May 14, 2009

The Port Authority is demanding that developer Larry Silverstein give it one of the plots for his three planned towers at the World Trade Center site in exchange for helping to finance construction of one his buildings, sources say. To win its aid, the agency is also telling Mr. Silverstein to exercise a lease option that would lock New York City into renting 600,000 square feet in the building that it may back or alternatively, to find another tenant.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and Mr. Silverstein have clashed over funding the developer’s towers and their feud threatens to impede building progress on the site. Mr. Silverstein has asked the Port to help fund two of his three towers but the agency has said it will only consider one because aiding more than that would hurt its balance sheet and put public money at risk in a private, speculative real estate development.

Many real estate executives have said there is no need for new office towers downtown at a time when tenant demand is shrinking, rents are falling and vacancies are rising. Mr. Silverstein has insisted there will be tenants for the towers by the time they open, beginning in 2014. He consistently reminds people he was ridiculed for rebuilding 7 World Trade Center after it was destroyed in the Sept. 11 attacks and points out that the vast majority of the building is now occupied.

Last Friday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg called for a summit to be held this week to end the log jam. That meeting now looks likely to happen next Thursday.

Sources say that Mr. Silverstein is resisting exercising his option with the city for what is called Tower 4 because he believes the agreed upon starting rent of $59 a square foot for the 15-year lease will be way below the market when the building finally opens, currently slated for 2014. Downtown rents are currently $44.58 a square foot, down 11% from last year, according to Cushman & Wakefield Inc. The Port signed a 30-year lease at Tower 4 for 600,000 feet.

The Port, sources say, told Mr. Silverstein that if he doesn’t want to enlist the city he should find an alternate tenant because empty buildings are harder to finance and because they drive down neighborhood rents. The problem is that the recession has pushed the most major tenants to the sidelines and those still scouting the market are in no rush to ink a deal.

Accounting and consulting firm Deloitte is seeking between 600,000 and 800,000 square feet and it asked Silverstein Properties to submit a proposal for Tower 4. However, numerous developers received the requests and sources say the firm is in no hurry to make a decision.

Additionally, the Port has told Mr. Silverstein it wants to take control of the site where he would build what is referred to as Tower 3 so that it can build a squat structure that would house retail tenants. It would give Mr. Silverstein the option of building an office tower or hotel over the stump when the market improves.

Sources say the Port also wants Mr. Silverstein to hand over part of his insurance money to help build the common infrastructure for the site. In return, the Port would build Mr. Silverstein’s infrastructure, stop his rent payments and give him the financing he desperately needs—a deal the agency values at $1.2 billion, sources say.

But other sources familiar with the project say the Port is essentially confiscating Mr. Silverstein’s development rights for Tower 3 without compensation. The source notes that the agency would require Mr. Silverstein to surrender all penalties the Port has paid for missing deadlines—about $100 million—and waive the right to any future fines.

These sources add that the Port is only willing to backstop the debt payments on the tower for 10 years, which could make financing very difficult to find. They add building one tower won’t create the critical mass necessary to lure tenants and retailers to the site.

The Port declined comment on the negotiations. In a statement, Janno Lieber, president of World Trade Center Properties said that the company has already made numerous compromises on the site and that the proposal to build two towers is fair, especially since at one point the developer was supposed to construct five. Moreover, the Port has collected more than $2 billion in payments from Mr. Silverstein.

“As well as employing tens of thousands of workers, completing two buildings will assure that the WTC site is a finished, attractive and exciting place that helps, rather than hinders Downtown's revival. That's what New Yorkers have been promised throughout the past eight years,” he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 8:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Silver says exactly what I've been saying..

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_316/fedup.html

‘Fed up’ with W.T.C. delays, Silver says build 3rd tower now

By Julie Shapiro
May 15 - 21, 2009

Quote:
Silver sounded far more optimistic than that on Friday, saying that the five years it would take to build Tower 2 would be plenty of time for the economy to turn around — and if not, then New York would have bigger problems.

“We are building for 2014,’15 and beyond,” he told reporters. “If we don’t have confidence that our economy can rebound by then, then we should not be building anyplace in this city and give up.... That’s not the spirit of New York.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 9:19 PM
World Machine

Personally I think all this is going to come back to bite the PA in the ass. They are doing a good job of making enemies with the wrong people and above all the city of New York.

At the end of the day this is being built to satisfy future demand, and a future that is not so far off as the PA proclaims. They're being very unrealistic and financially selfish, two things that don't mix well with a city and world for that matter that demands for the right thing to be done. Thankfully we have a group of heavy hitters that realizes the practical sense of getting this development built as shown.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 11:56 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

The PA are being so short-sighted. Leave it to an old man like Silverstein to think in appropriate terms.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 12:37 AM

I can't help but sympathize with him. For most of us watching this project, we can look forward to seeing it completed, even if it's delayed. But Silverstein has very little relative time to see these towers finished, so it's easy to see that money is definitely not an issue for him.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 1:03 AM
New Yorker for life

A large development like this requires tenacity, especially in New York where multiple battles are constantly being fought. I think Silverstein's up to it.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 1:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Here's that earlier idea for podiums from the PA that we were talking about...
http://www.panynj.gov/drp/images/gal...urchPodium.jpg

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 6:25 AM

^^^ What a beauty !!!

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 7:47 AM
Astorian

A beauty sure, for suburban Minneapolis!

If it does come down to having to choose between Tower 2 and 3, I am not sure which one I would want to be built. 3's facade is more interesting but Tower 2's design I feel is just more interesting. I'd definitely want to see Tower 2 built.

I want them all built and hopefully it does come to reality.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 12:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
A beauty sure, for suburban Minneapolis!

If it does come down to having to choose between Tower 2 and 3, I am not sure which one I would want to be built. 3's facade is more interesting but Tower 2's design I feel is just more interesting. I'd definitely want to see Tower 2 built.
As it's being proposed now, what it would come down to is Tower 2 moving full speed ahead, straight from foundation all the way to the tip of the "diamonds". Tower 3 would also resume, but pending Silverstein's lack of financing would stop at the retail base. (Depending on who builds it, if it's the PA it could be a temporary structure, if Silverstein, the base of the tower). In the couple of years before that happens though, Silverstein cold still land the financing to complete this tower.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 3:03 PM
Westbank = Bestbank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Here's that earlier idea for podiums from the PA that we were talking about...
http://www.panynj.gov/drp/images/gal...urchPodium.jpg

I am not from New York, nor have I ever been to New York for a visit, but that building looks out of place. It resembles the mixed use mid-rises being built all over Atlanta's suburbs. Who in their right mind would want to build something like that in Manhattan? A mixed use mid-rise more at home in suburbs/ex-urbs right next to a spinal column stolen from a t-rex, all in the middle of the largest city in the U.S.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 3:19 PM

how could they feel no remorse after coming up with those designs? everything about the PA is just getting worse and worse in these last couple of months.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 4:36 PM

That last rendering looks like Anywhere Mall, USA.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 5:24 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

Whoever is calling the shots at Port Authority should resign in disgrace. NOW.

How Pathetic.

Here's hoping Silverstien's spine is made of steel, and smarter financers come to the table.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 6:00 PM

I'd rather have a shopping mall at the base of an office tower than offices or a lobby all the way down to the ground.

The mall makes extra use of the ground space. It gives a street-level friendliness and a human scale to what will ultimately be huge towers.

There is no way that in a city like NYC the towers would remain unbuilt forever, especially given that it's probably the most high-profile spot in the world. I say build the shopping center so at least SOMETHING exists on that site, then put the towers on top of it. The foundation will already be built, and with it much of the construction expense, so it will probably speed the ultimate construction of the tower.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 6:04 PM
Westbank = Bestbank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzuti View Post
I'd rather have a shopping mall at the base of an office tower than offices or a lobby all the way down to the ground.

The mall makes extra use of the ground space. It gives a street-level friendliness and a human scale to what will ultimately be huge towers.

There is no way that in a city like NYC the towers would remain unbuilt forever, especially given that it's probably the most high-profile spot in the world. I say build the shopping center so at least SOMETHING exists on that site, then put the towers on top of it. The foundation will already be built, and with it much of the construction expense, so it will probably speed the ultimate construction of the tower.
On second thought, you're right. A shopping mall is a very appropriate structure to put across the plaza from the 9/11 memorial. It will be a constant reminder that when tragedy strikes, we should keep spending money.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 6:22 PM

I agree with you on sentiment, but is a shopping mall any less "commercial" than a corporate office tower? They're on the same level if you ask me, and the towers were going to be there anyway.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzuti View Post
I agree with you on sentiment, but is a shopping mall any less "commercial" than a corporate office tower? They're on the same level if you ask me, and the towers were going to be there anyway.
It doesn't matter, because corporate office towers are what stood there originally, and the new towers are consistent with the idea of rebuilding.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 9:12 PM
New Yorker for life

A mall in itself is not a bad thing. But it is out of place in Manhattan. It is very out of place in the financial district of lower Manhattan (where there is precious little space to waste as it is). And it would especially be out of place accross from the memorial. As far as making the distinction between office and retail space, the towers themselves mark the rebuilding of the WTC and complement the memorial. There's a reason why it was decided not to have the retail bases facing the memorial. And if not for the office towers, what you would have is the Port Authority building a $4 billion dollar shopping mall as a response to the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Surely the reintroduction of the street grid wasn't for this. But I don't believe New York officials will allow that to happen.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 11:21 PM
Frigidus Maximus

www.channel4.com

Shirley, You Jest!

I ❤️ NY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive