HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Sky City in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Changsha Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 4:00 PM

On this "Changsha has 7 million people" thing...The prefecture level city administers an area (of over 11,000 km2) which contains 7 million. The actual city itself has about 3.6 million. Still significant but 7 million it's not. Due to the shape of the area administered, east/west is about 260 km. The entire country of Belgium (or the state of Massachusetts) could fit between that. Keep in mind that "cities" in China are administered differently and include huge rural areas that are densely populated but not part of the city or the metro area.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 4:33 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Here's another picture of the model.

The tower has a cruciform cross section with a buttressed core, similar to the Burj Khaliffa.
That model looks like it will fall over in less than 90 days let alone an actual building.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 9:20 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
That model looks like it will fall over in less than 90 days let alone an actual building.
the building or the chick?

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 10:08 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
the building or the chick?

-
Well, now that you mention it she's kinda got a leaning tower of Pisa thing going on too. I guess both!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 1:52 AM

Why China's Plan To Build The World's Tallest Skyscraper In 90 Days Is 'Madness'

Read More: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-c...d-idea-2012-11

Quote:
Earlier this year, a Chinese construction company announced plans to build a new "world's tallest skyscraper," an 838-meter highrise in Changsha. It also promised to complete the building, called Sky City One, in an astonishing 90-day timeline, and to do it for $628 million — around a third of the cost of the Burj Khalifa, which currently holds the title of the world's tallest building.

- Pre-fabrication has revolutionized the building industry — applying this now as a strategy for tall buildings under the right conditions is brilliant. The irony is that at the same time, if you look at the outcome of this endeavor urbanistically, it is at best a folly, and at worst, madness. The proposition that a city can be contained within one building is unnatural and devastating to the human spirit.

- The process of making buildings as a local activity enriches the local economy, draws on local resources and develops local skills. The efficiencies gained in off-site modular prefabrication come at the risk of impoverishing the uniqueness, identity and regional wisdom that evolves in different places. This is not to ignore that certain elements of buildings will be sourced or fabricated elsewhere, but that the majority of the act of building should be a sector of a local economy. The more that the activity of building happens remotely, the more individual places are deprived of their own expertise, identity and self-determination.

- The standardization of the building format for Sky City One, repetition of structural elements, and proportionately high volume of space enclosed by the design all add up to significant cost savings. Also, realizing the efficiencies that arise from pre-fabrication and limiting costly construction time on-site reduce the real costs of construction. The irony of building quickly and cheaply is that we ultimately live with our buildings for decades to come, maybe centuries. Buildings that allow long-term use accommodate restoration and reinvestment. In the category of ultra-tall buildings, quick and cheap may be fitting. I say this because these buildings really have no long-term future. The technologies involved are so specific to one moment in time and one manufacturing process that they later prove to be un-restorable.

- Allusions to the audacity of the Empire State Building in New York in the 1930s abound. Even Sky City One’s Art Deco-inspired hero-rendering and its formal stepped design puts off the same monumental aspirations. The Empire State boasted construction in 13 months, Sky City One boasts three months. The Empire State rose at five stories a week, Sky City anticipates five stories a day. Updated for technological advances nearly a century later, it follows that these exponential metrics should be possible. But we must still ask, what does this prove? Fancy, folly, or foolish prestige?

- Density is often presented as the inevitable need and justification for skyscrapers. However, it should rather be understood as a question of format. Density can either be located within fewer tall buildings with inordinately large open spaces around them to allow light to reach building surfaces, or it can be arranged in networks of low to mid-rise buildings with more compact and legible open spaces around them, such as walkable streets, parks, and plazas, providing a more comfortable human habitat. Let’s remember that the average height of a building in Manhattan is three stories.

Christian Sottile, SCAD Dean of the School of Building Arts.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:25 AM

I still don't know why they want to build it in 90 days... whats the big rush?? I'm also not sure what they're trying to prove by doing this
I'd rather have a shorter nicer building than a taller bland one
Well it's something at least

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:50 PM

Sky City falls short in safety features: Critics

Read More: http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/...t_15971613.htm

Quote:

According to the company's website, the tower will house 4,000 families in apartments between the 16th and 180th floor, and has offices, a hotel, a school, a hospital, shops and stores, a gym and restaurants. But architects claim the residents would be vulnerable if fires broke out.

- "With so many people living and working in the building, there will be risks everywhere," said Li Xun, vice-president of the China Academy of Urban Planning and Design. "What if there is a fire, or an elderly man has a heart attack?" Generally, ladders used by fire rescue crews can reach a maximum height of 100 meters.

- On Monday, Broad Group spokesman Zhu Linfang declined to comment on the criticism that has been aimed at the project. "The design team is professional and has taken all safety factors into consideration," she said, adding only that the company had "bought the land, handed our plans to the authorities and are waiting for the result of an assessment". However, an official in Changsha's urban-rural planning bureau said his office had received no paperwork from Broad Group.

- Critics also raised concerns over long-term dangers, such as subsidence. "I'm not familiar with the geological features of Changsha, but such a huge building may cause serious problems, even a disaster," Wang said. A report by the China Geological Survey released this year found that a growing number of skyscrapers are contributing to subsidence in some areas. Research shows the most vulnerable spots are in the North China Plain, the Yangtze River Delta and the Fenwei Basin, covering a combined area of 79,000 square km - more than 100 times the size of Singapore. A two-story building sank in Quanhong village in Changsha on Nov 19, Chinanews.com reported.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
This is 10x uglier than Sears Tower.
And what exactly are you implying about the Sears Tower. It's almost as handsome as the Hancock - which just happens to be the manliest building on the face of the earth! AMERICA, CHICAGO, MAN!!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:21 AM
Heavy User

38 floors of restaurants?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:26 AM
Website Manager

hey why not, China can do it!

this thing really is madness. there are some real serious and severe safety concerns with a building of this size. part of me hopes that the developers give up , and the sooner the better. another part hopes we actually get to see this thing built. it may be madness but at least it's not in my country

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 1:36 PM

first of all. it would be far and away the most beautiful skyscraper ever built. second, if they built it in anywhere near six months, then they would be nothing short of magnificently enlightened engineers. with that said, none of us here, or anywhere for that matter, would have any business attempting to lay there worthless negative and endlessly redundant opinions toward such magical geniuses. i mean, really, how dare we? after looking at them renders i got to say that it is just smashing to say the least. its about time that we as humans take that next step in building our cities. i mean we have been doing this for thousands of years. we really need to get much better at this or we are doomed as a world. this type of thing could save us soundly if we where to combine it with other ideas of similar caliber. we really should be applauding such a dream and attempting to problem solve for this type of idea. instead i enter this thread at the one place that should strongly embrace such dream, and find so much worthless negativity. we need to help find ways to make this real. honestly folks, is this not the very type of thing we are some day hoping to achieve as a race?

Last edited by whiteford; Dec 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
first of all. it would be far and away the most beautiful skyscraper ever built. second, if they built it in anywhere near six months, then they would be nothing short of magnificently enlightened engineers. with that said, none of us here, or anywhere for that matter, would have any business attempting to lay there worthless negative and endlessly redundant opinions toward such magical geniuses. i mean, really, how dare we? after looking at them renders i got to say that it is just smashing to say the least. its about time that we as humans take that next step in building our cities. i mean we have been doing this for thousands of years. we really need to get much better at this or we are doomed as a world. this type of thing could save us soundly if we where to combine it with other ideas of similar caliber. we really should be applauding such a dream and attempting to problem solve for this type of idea. instead i enter this thread the one place that should in all honesty long to embrace and such dream, and find instead so much worthless negativity. we need to help find ways to make this real. honestly folks, is this not the very type of thing we are some day hoping to achieve as a race?
I agree. Skyscrapers could be built much more efficiently. Soon 3D printing could make prefabrication even easier and allow for more variety in design. I think this design is bland.. but if they can actually build this it's amazing.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 9:34 PM
BANNED

Is there a real purpose for this in Changhsha? I.e, is there a land shortage or density issue or is this just a vanity project?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 9:57 PM

Over at ssc they said this was canceled

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
Over at ssc they said this was canceled
Not true. There are no news or credible sources of this. That is why I don't trust SSC. It's just full of random misinformation.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 10:39 PM

For this month there have been no news updates on the web. No activity but also no confirmation of anything.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 11:04 AM
Stay Thirsty.

^ I work for a Chinese real estate developer, so that means nothing. They could be finalizing the specs and breaking ground tomorrow, or it will die a silent death and no one will know the wiser. You can NEVER read any action in China as an indication of anything, especially silence. We'll just have to see (or not).

IMO I don't see this happening, but this crazy country never ceases to surprise me. If it does, it won't happen in the timeline they state. That, I can 100% GUARANTEE you. Construction timelines here are a joke.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:35 PM
Website Manager

thanks for the insight, Franco

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 3:58 PM
gettin' rich!

They say the project will start in January, so we'll find out soon enough if the developers are for real or not.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:22 PM

It went from 3 months to 9 months already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive