HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

1 Grandview Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Pittsburgh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 8:59 PM
Walkable CITIES!

Lightbulb PITTSBURGH | 1 Grandview Avenue | 20 stories | 200' tall

20 Stories with 4-5 stories cascading down hill. Note the mock hoses clustered around the base are actually part of the project.
110 Room Hotel
55 unit condo.

Also note the location of The Monongahela Incline connecting the tower almost directly to Downtown Pittsburgh.

One Grandview will occupy a prominent corner atop Mt. Washington, overlooking the City of Pittsburgh, and defining the eastern edge of Grandview Avenue. The product of extensive community input and neighborhood support, this project will replace the former Edge Restaurant and help to stimulate economic and community development on Mt. Washington. The proposed mixed-use development includes a world-class, 110 room hotel, 55-unit condominium, spa and fitness center, meeting rooms, and fine-dining restaurant. The site will also feature a grand public terrace that will extend the Grandview promenade and offer unparalleled views of Pittsburgh and the Three Rivers. Recognizing the importance of sustainable design, the entire project will strive to obtain a LEED Silver rating.

View looking up Smithfield Street. Location of tower will be just to left of the Mon Incline (rising above the blue street sign) in the place of the derelict concrete structure

http://www.desmone.com/Portfolio/Pro...e-578eb6a656b0

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 9:27 PM

A building like this is really great for the image of Pittsburgh! The architecture really mirrors the topography of the city. 200 feet seems a little short for a 20 story building, isn't it?

http://www.timothyjuddviolin.com

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 9:58 PM
New Yorker for life

There will be nice views.

Reminds me of this one...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=172261

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
Walkable CITIES!

This will be on a very prominant and very unique site. It is also surrounded by NIMBYS, so the fact that this is being considered and has been approved is shocking. There have been a number of proposals for this strip and all have been denied, including a proposal for a Ritz Carlton.

Last edited by UrbaniDesDev; Jul 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 11:05 PM
Walkable CITIES!

This is basically the views that this building will have

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 2:15 AM

Question UPMC letters

When did they take down the UPMC letters of the USS bldg?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 3:13 AM

^ Since yesterday. I climbed up there with some left over 4th of July firecrackers and blew them the hell off.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:21 AM
Show me the blueprints

Good for Pittsburgh, but am I the only one that thinks this looks old? Old not in a good way, but old in a 1970's architectural drafting book, UN/HABITAT housing project sorta way? Those pyramid drive-thru porticoes? Gag. Love the density and the ambition here, but they should get a fresher design that looks like it's from this century.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Jul 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Good for Pittsburgh, but am I the only one that thinks this looks old? Old not in a good way, but old in a 1970's architectural drafting book, UN/HABITAT housing project sorta way? Those pyramid drive-thru porticoes? Gag. Love the density and the ambition here, but they should get a fresher design that looks like it's from this century.
I agree...those pyramids are the worst. I heard from an architect friend that the design has been freshened up since these renderings though. I hope that was one of the changes. I'll try to scrounge up what those changes were.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 12:05 AM

Looking at this design, this is the first thing that comes to mind

www.yourascent.com/

Although the more I look at both, I'm wondering if Pittsburgh's may be a "poor man's Ascent at Roebling's Bridge." There is the potential for something spectacular at that site. Lets hope they get it right.

http://www.timothyjuddviolin.com

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 6:08 AM

^ Yeah, I agree. It looks like a development vision from 1983.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:22 PM
Everywhere all at once

I am impressed with the site on which this would be built. Since it would fall flat if placed within Pittsburgh's already tall and dense downtown mass, the developers picked a prime site, with spectacular views and a position of prominence that will allow it to be a landmark for the south side of the city.

Seems like they're off to a good start.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:27 PM

being from philadelphia and having traveled there for college visits, pitt is probably the most underrated city in the country. An extremely cool city, and im real happy with the development there; hopefully more development and taller projects coming.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 10:41 PM

Here's a link for a video from KDKA with the Project Manager, Beau Beemsterboer. (the relevant project info and interview begins at 0:52)

http://kdka.com/video/?id=73757@kdka.dayport.com

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 5:09 AM

It's not reason for too much concern yet, but I am dissappointed that demolition has not begun on the properties adjacent to the edge restaurant. It was mentioned by Beemsterboer that this may happen before the close of 2010. If we don't see any movement by late spring and no news then we will have to wonder about the viabilty or at least a new timeline.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 8:04 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I can dig this for sure.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 4:31 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Awesome location for the project, but a few of the design elements need to come up to the 21st century from 1985.

But, wow, that is one of hell of a site.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 12:22 AM

Here we go!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_725891.html

Demolition starts on Monday at 11:00 AM! Our cafeteria at work has an outdoor seating section on the fifth floor which is almost directly across the Monongahela River from the site. I'll post some pictures this week though it may not be Monday. The camera is a few years old so I'm not sure the zoom will be spectacular. Still It's a pretty decent camera and I expect to be posting a lot of pics on here. This is a very exciting project to me.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:16 PM

Last edited by Gilamonster; Mar 7, 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:17 PM

I'm still hoping that the design is modernized a bit before it starts moving forward. Regardless of that, I still can't wait to see this thing perched up on that cliff. Glad the demolition has begun!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive