HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, for one thing it would likely give Quebec and Montreal the impetus to do big renos to Olympic Stadium.
What big renos would even really be needed? The Big O won't host the final, so you're talking what, maybe 5 or 6 games plus maybe a couple in the knockout round? The stadium as it is now would largely be fine for that.

I could see some cosmetic work being done, like a new surface, maybe lighting, jumbotron, press box and locker room improvements, that kind of thing. But it might be a $5 million undertaking as opposed to anything grand.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What big renos would even really be needed? The Big O won't host the final, so you're talking what, maybe 5 or 6 games plus maybe a couple in the knockout round? The stadium as it is now would largely be fine for that.

I could see some cosmetic work being done, like a new surface, maybe lighting, jumbotron, press box and locker room improvements, that kind of thing. But it might be a $5 million undertaking as opposed to anything grand.

According to media reports the stadium is slated for work on sound and lighting, bathroom upgrades, seat replacements, window replacements, a re-do of the TV and radio control rooms and systems, ventilation system work.

And of course the playing surface.

And a new roof which will cost 150M all by itself.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:43 PM

^ A new roof would be totally optional for a summer event, though... it would be necessary if they wanted to stage an event in the winter, but for a July WC I don't see why the existing one wouldn't be good enough.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:03 PM
arf

I'd expect the World Cup to be in June. Mexico in July would be ugly for weather although the climate differences between venues is going to be an interesting discussion point whenever it actually is scheduled. Haha Sweden you get to play in Guadalajara and not Vancouver in the preliminary round.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:37 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
And a new roof which will cost 150M all by itself.
$150M which could alternatively be put towards a new stadium. That's a decent amount of money.

At this stage only Toronto and Vancouver would be viable hosting cities if a World Cup is split between the North American countries. With larger venues in bigger markets I can't imagine Canada has more than two hosting cities.

This is all speculation of course. I'd rather we stick to one country hosting these events. It's bad enough the size of the tournament is increasing for the sole sake of FIFA's bottom line.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
This is all speculation of course. I'd rather we stick to one country hosting these events. It's bad enough the size of the tournament is increasing for the sole sake of FIFA's bottom line.
$$$$ , world cup stadiums 60k+

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:10 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

At this stage only Toronto and Vancouver would be viable hosting cities if a World Cup is split between the North American countries. With larger venues in bigger markets I can't imagine Canada has more than two hosting cities.
I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
$150M which could alternatively be put towards a new stadium. That's a decent amount of money.

FIFA will never play a World Cup final on turf or even temporary sod. I doubt they would play any games on turf. Unless somebody wants to build a 60,000+ capacity stadium with natural grass, sharing with the U.S. would probably be the only option.

And there will not be another stadium built with the Big O in the midst of renovations. City Hall would be burned to the ground!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I find that puzzling as well. Montreal has the top 3 or 4 attendance records for soccer and has no problem selling out the Grand Prix every year (300,000 plus).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:27 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
BC Place is large enough for World Cup.
BMO is large enough with expansion.
Olympic needs fixing and upgrades. Lots of fixing and upgrades.

It's likely Montreal is considered as a host city but right now i'd probably lean Vancouver and Toronto given their relationship with the CSA lately. As I said, i'd be surprised with more than two Canadian host cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTowner View Post
FIFA will never play a World Cup final on turf or even temporary sod.
Easily solved when the biggest sporting event in the world is coming to town.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:36 AM

The U20 World Cup was a success in Montréal. The biggest crowds were in Montreal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_FIFA_U-20_World_Cup

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:

It's likely Montreal is considered as a host city but right now i'd probably lean Vancouver and Toronto given their relationship with the CSA lately. As I said, i'd be surprised with more than two Canadian host cities.

Easily solved when the biggest sporting event in the world is coming to town.
How much more do you think BMO can be expanded? Berlin has a capacity of 75,000. That's 50% more than BC Place. Any coversion to natural grass would have to be permanent and that would cost a fortune, if it is even possible.

The Big O is receiving lots of upgrades as we speak. Everything save the roof.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:01 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

This is still very odd logic. No Canadian city out of the top three is really a shoo-in over the others - all of them have advantages and disadvantages.

Even a modestly reno'd Big O probably pushes Montreal ahead of Toronto and maybe even Vancouver. Temporary seating is acceptable when there is no other choice but why go for a stadium with 30,000 bleacher seats when there is one with over 60,000 permanent seats down the road?

Or maybe you think FIFA will be pissed that KFC is called PFK in Quebec or something?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
This is still very odd logic. No Canadian city out of the top three is really a shoo-in over the others - all of them have advantages and disadvantages.

Even a modestly reno'd Big O probably pushes Montreal ahead of Toronto and maybe even Vancouver. Temporary seating is acceptable when there is no other choice but why go for a stadium with 30,000 bleacher seats when there is one with over 60,000 permanent seats down the road?

Or maybe you think FIFA will be pissed that KFC is called PFK in Quebec or something?
They're investing 166$ million in Olympic Park, 43.5 of that is to turn the tower into offices for Desjardins - 1,600 employees.

Still studying the damned roof but I think there's a genuine will to replace it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:36 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

What's this about $150mil for a fixed roof? I thought it was $500mil? Anyway, we're most likely going with the top 3 cities, Mexico with a similar number and the US with 6+ including the final. With a secondary layer of sod and grow lights, Vancouver would be feasible at minimal expense. Same for Olympic stadium. BMO has expanded multiple times since its inception, by 2026 it will be well due for another expansion if one hasn't already been completed by then. They recently added 10,000 temporary seats in grandstands with room to spare despite what the naysayers on SSP said, so 45,000 permanent seats are quite feasible.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Has anyone here ever sat in temporary seating in a stadium? Or seen it up close?

It's definitely acceptable and safe (most of the time), but it's hardly what I would call "prestige". Even the better ones are pretty bare-bones compared to a real permanent stand in a stadium.

Tim Hortons Field is luxurious in comparison.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
What's this about $150mil for a fixed roof? I thought it was $500mil? Anyway, we're most likely going with the top 3 cities, Mexico with a similar number and the US with 6+ including the final. With a secondary layer of sod and grow lights, Vancouver would be feasible at minimal expense. Same for Olympic stadium.
It would be cool if we could get at least a semi-final in a Canadian city.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:41 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I'd bet on DF, Monterrey and Guadalajara if Mexico has three cities. Maybe Puebla too if they get a fourth.

I may be wrong but I don't see Canada going for it unless we can get at least three cities as hosts.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:44 AM

Mexico will have to change drastically if they when to host the World Cup.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Mexico will have to change drastically if they when to host the World Cup.
I think Mexico is quite a bit safer than South Africa and they hosted the WC alone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada